Author Topic: 2013 AM Worlds in Emporia! - July 7-13, 2013  (Read 12710 times)

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 AM Worlds in Emporia! - July 7-13, 2013
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2013, 11:45:59 AM »
Nailer,

The Municipal Golf Course in Emporia uses 9 ball golf holes for us to play some truly beautiful golf on. (par 65 for worlds) Emporia Country Club gets absolutely taken over with disc golfers, as they let us use the entire course for some very tough golf. A few holes were made short for worlds, but it's still a blistering, and incredibly difficult par 61.

These courses are only available during tournament time and can usually be played (with golf carts!) up to 2 days before a tournament. After that they go back to Ball Golf. It was a wonderful experience as the entire town of Emporia embraced Disc Golfers for this long week.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2013, 12:04:48 PM »
Nailer,

The Municipal Golf Course in Emporia uses 9 ball golf holes for us to play some truly beautiful golf on. (par 65 for worlds) Emporia Country Club gets absolutely taken over with disc golfers, as they let us use the entire course for some very tough golf. A few holes were made short for worlds, but it's still a blistering, and incredibly difficult par 61.

These courses are only available during tournament time and can usually be played (with golf carts!) up to 2 days before a tournament. After that they go back to Ball Golf. It was a wonderful experience as the entire town of Emporia embraced Disc Golfers for this long week.

NICE!  I thought I saw some photos and it looked like a ball golf course, manicured, fairways, etc.  That is really cool Utz.  Thanks for the info.  I did not know that. 
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
I just wanted to give a shout out to Bom Tutler for taking 3rd in Adv Grands.  Great tournament sir!

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2013, 03:28:09 PM »
Big ups to Matt Perry and Eric Eastwood, taking 17th and 18th respectively in Advanced Men.

Additional props for ex-local Adam Morrison, taking 12th in Advanced Men.

To all KC players, you all played great, even Jack! ;)

mperry

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2013, 10:44:01 PM »
Could have played better but man did dynamic discs blow every tournament I've played out of the water with this one. Every round was smooth with no complaints due to the hard work of the dd team and the course directors. Special props to Scott reek holding down muni on the only course with tee times. That course was on schedule all week. Anyone who has the chance to play a World championship do it. It is unlike anything else.
Matt perry

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »
Spot on Matt, especially the part about you could have played better  8)

Worlds was awesome, I'm already trying to figure out how to make it to next years! 
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

asjzn6

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
I could see Petter pretty high up there. He has the arm for those ball golf courses. If any KC guys make the lead card, I'll head out there and film it!

Saw peter put a drive on the green on a 650ft hole SWEET!
Adam Johnson

asjzn6

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2013, 01:45:14 PM »
Could have played better but man did dynamic discs blow every tournament I've played out of the water with this one. Every round was smooth with no complaints due to the hard work of the dd team and the course directors. Special props to Scott reek holding down muni on the only course with tee times. That course was on schedule all week. Anyone who has the chance to play a World championship do it. It is unlike anything else.

The tourney was a blast, the bonds and relationships that DD must have with the community is amazing. It took Rusco like 35 min to thank everyone in town who sponsored the tournament. And to get to use ball golf courses for how many days was flipping awesome for a community to allow. All of the business new about us and frequently asked how we were doing. Well said Perry and nice shooting final round
Adam Johnson

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2013, 11:07:28 AM »
Ha! Great story from Jack. Played first round with a significant handicap. Ask him about it!
   Sober?

Just ask him about his keys  ::) ;D
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »
Karma got me!
Played the first round in birkenstock type sandals and 4 discs found in the hotel room-
Champion Destroyer (I've thrown Destroyers, never a Champion, only Star)
Prodigy D2 (BTW I don't have one of these in my bag)
Mako 3 From players pack
DGA Breaker-putter/approach from players pack

4 discs, never thrown any of them before in my life in sandals....but I made it to my tee on time, and finished the round, and was able to play.  When asked what I did, I didn't drive, so I left my keys in another vehicle that was at the course before I was so I had all my items in the car not in the hotel room.  It is ok, I played poorly that round, but again I am not the best disc golfer out there, one of the loudest, sure, one that has a lot of fun, absolutely, everyone on my card couldn't believe how well I took the situation though.....  I just knew at some point the only person to blame is myself, and that is really something that many can't do. 

I had a very good time, and almost made the cut.

As for 1000 rated players playing in the Am Worlds....it is their right.  We don't know what their logic is, and only they can make that decision.  I have reasons for requesting to be dropped back to AM status.  Some people never plan on playing for money, I think that is ok.  Some people want to win a World title, I think that is ok.

People questioning others intent in a chat room, or a bar.....typical just gossip and though it may not happen at work any longer the chat rooms make it easier to poke and prod as to your own opine as to why someone is doing something that you wouldn't do.  Just ask them, chances are they will tell you the reason.

Mine are quite simple-I want to choose where I play, and not be dictated by the PDGA on which events I can and can't play.  As an AM, I make that decision.  This was my first Am Masters Worlds, and I won't play it again until 2015 in K-Zoo.  I will though play in the Japan Open as a Pro-Master because as an AM I can, as a Pro I couldn't play in K-Zoo.

Ratings aside, playing in sandals and then almost making the cut....man that would have been a good story.  The only one that could have been better was if I shot a 59 in sandals! 8)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2013, 08:37:57 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone saw this or not, but Matt Perry came in third in the distance competition at AM Worlds.  He threw 549 feet!  Surely he had a tailwind!!!  8)

I kid!!! Well done Matt!!!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

asjzn6

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2013, 02:39:17 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone saw this or not, but Matt Perry came in third in the distance competition at AM Worlds.  He threw 549 feet!  Surely he had a tailwind!!!  8)

I believe it was 2nd to a dude that threw 570'.  We watched his drives from the side and dang they were crushes sadly his longest drives went ob. He had one drive that hit a tree around 580' and still had flight left in it.
Adam Johnson

asjzn6

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2013, 03:18:40 PM »

I believe it was 2nd to a dude that threw 570'.  We watched his drives from the side and dang they were crushes sadly his longest drives went ob. He had one drive that hit a tree around 580' and still had flight left in it.

Nope it was third should have looked it up before typing http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/Long_Drive_Results__Payouts.pdf
Adam Johnson

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
 8)
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2013, 04:13:29 PM »
should the kcfdc have a long drive contest during the club championship?
espouse elucidation