Author Topic: weak sauce....  (Read 2091 times)

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
Re: weak sauce....
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »
I don't find the back 8 hard at all, I just think find it boring and unnecessary long. This is how it went the last time I was there.

11 - drive short of the tree up the middle, lay up to the basket.
12 - throw a straight drive and skip off the road at the basket.
13 - throw as far as you can, lay up with a putter.
14 - throw a flex anny over the road and land by the basket.
15 - throw straight up the gut for an ace run (denied by the tree mostly in the short pin).
16 - As a lefty, I think this is the worst hole ever. I could write an essay over how miserable this hole is.
17 - Throw a big shot towards the trees over the road and let it come back. Easy 3 no matter where the pin is.
18 - Throw a big drive up the gut, lay up with a putter.

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »
Disc golf is so boring. Here's how I Play 90% of the holes on any course. Throw my first shot and lay up with a putter or putt at it.
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 03:50:31 PM »
Greg, thanks for keeping score. I will come away from the loss with a newfound knowledge of obscure 80s music, and proudly so. And I'll feel a little more interesting and cool as a result.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
Greg, thanks for keeping score. I will come away from the loss with a newfound knowledge of obscure 80s music, and proudly so. And I'll feel a little more interesting and cool as a result.

to be fair, those bands aren't really all that obscure.  they each had multiple hits (in the 80s).

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »
Ah the 80's.  A great time to grow up.  Knuckleheads has a knack for bringing in bands that were quite popular in the '80's.  The lead singer from The Stranglers was there awhile back.  The Stranglers are a little more obscure than The Romantics or The English Beat but very influential to that period of of New Wave/punk.

But then again, I'm just trying to sound "cool".   8)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:23:05 PM by TPalmer »
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »
You have done a solid job of it. 8)
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »
Ah the 80's.  A great time to grow up.  Knuckleheads has a knack for bringing in bands that were quite popular in the '80's.  The lead singer from The Stranglers was there awhile back.  The Stranglers are a little more obscure than The Romantics or The English Beat but very influential to that period of of New Wave/punk.

But then again, I'm just trying to sound "cool".   8)

How's this for cool....  Me, Demian and Jack went to the Hugh Cornwall show you are referencing (Stranglers) and had a great time.   8)

Face it, Knucklehead's is cool....   ;D  And, it's right down the hill from one of the best disc golf courses in town. Yes, I refer to Cliff Drive for all you naysayers...   8)

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »
Very nice Kevin.  It's kind of rare to get to see Hugh Cornwall nowadays.  I'm gonna have to join you guys sometime.  Everytime I've been to Knuckleheads, I've had a ball.  Great place to see a show.

Ok, who's gonna be at The Crossroads this weekend to see Yonder Mountain String Band?
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Hugh Cornwall ROCKED THE F'n HOUSE!

Now then.....quite the thread drift, but nice discussion here in Cliff Drive....back to disc golf....

12 - throw a straight drive and skip off the road at the basket.
16 - As a lefty, I think this is the worst hole ever. I could write an essay over how miserable this hole is.

As a Righty, #12 grabs you by the balls, and scares you to death from fear of the cliff nastiness, to the dangit OB.  So you are blessed to be a lefty......
#16 is the exact opposite configuration, in that it is easier for a hyzer from a righty, (but why do mine seem to go OB on an anny route then?) but I am curious why you this is the "worst hole ever"  I love how it comes like an hour glass with ob on both sides, and if the wind is in play it makes it tough on all approaches.

So let me know why you think that this hole is the worst one on the planet.......

Now I don't want to get into an argument over the front 9 versus the back 9, but the initial intent for those of you that may not know is that Cliff was designed with a 6-6-6 format to showacase many of the challenges of typical disc golf in KC.  We have 6 tight technical holes, we have 6 holes with defined boarders, and 6 pretty much wide open holes to air it out.  There is a piece of every game and aspect to be used on the course.

Now that being said.....I need help to make it more aligned with what people may "enjoy", and the knowledge that we have lost about 20 trees at CRUCIAL junctions out there make a change needed.  So starting this fall, if you want to help with the reconfiguration of the course, I would welcome your efforts.  Essentially holes 13, 14, 15 will vanish.  You will walk from #12 to #16 (like that is going anywhere, I mean having the "worst hole ever", that is some great notoriety!) and 3 holes will be added in 2 different locations.  I also want to extend #6. 

Alas it is always a work in progress, but the fact that you play the front 9 is more than people were doing here 10 years ago, and that is progress.

;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:23:51 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 02:05:01 PM »
I don't think #16 is the worst hole ever, but as a lefty, it is definitely one of the most challenging as far as placing a drive for a good second shot. Drive too long, it usually goes OB. Drive too short, you end up with a long, blind, turnover approach shot. That hole usually kicks my ass, but whenever I do manage to get a 3 on it, it makes me feel like I kicked its ass, and then I go to #17 with a full head of steam and a nice boost of confidence.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »
It's interesting that a 920 rated intermediate player claims to be able to shoot 3 or 4 down on the back like it's child's play (show me), but whines about one of the best designed holes on the course just because it doesn't fit his eye.

And 17 is an easy 3 no matter where the pin is. Don't you forget it!:D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »
Now we're getting serious. Let's get our serious faces on.

Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
Now we're getting serious. Let's get our serious faces on.

Serious face on. Warbl. Garbl.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
hole 16 is a total lefty roller, just for positioning...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 08:03:46 PM »
hole 16 is a total lefty roller, just for positioning...

As a lefty, I agree. I was just telling someone I figured out how to play that hole.