Author Topic: weak sauce....  (Read 2394 times)

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
Re: weak sauce....
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
It's interesting that a 920 rated intermediate player claims to be able to shoot 3 or 4 down on the back like it's child's play (show me), but whines about one of the best designed holes on the course just because it doesn't fit his eye.

Jack, I enjoy the 6-6-6 design of Cliff.   Even #13 has a place in the scheme of things.   If it goes away, I look forward to seeing what to create elsewhere.

Intermediate? INTERMEDIATE?!?! I took 12th in Advanced at the Wide Open!  /s

Don't remember saying I shoot -4, just that it's there (if I don't %$#@ up). I'll always play a round at Cliff with you if you want. Just hit me up!

hole 16 is a total lefty roller, just for positioning...

As a lefty, I agree. I was just telling someone I figured out how to play that hole.

Maybe It's been too windy the past few times I've played there, but the roller never looks like an option. I'll try it next time I'm there.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:18:58 PM by ian »

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 09:59:27 AM »
Blackberry Smoke is coming to Knuckleheads on July 15th.
Steven Disc Glover

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »
hole 10 and 16 are both lefty roller holes once the grass starts drying out.  the problem is they play in opposite winds.  tailwind makes you put the roller down earlier.  so usually only one of the two is playing as a roller hole.

the loss of a few key trees has made the back side a repeat of shots.  the three pines used to protect the right side of 13.  it made the righties start their drive on an anhyzer to get to a shorter upshot.  hyzer drive left 350+ upshot.  anhyzer increased the risk of ob with south wind.  now, you can start your drive on nearly any angle you choose.

hole 14 had the one huge tree that made that hole.  it was a hyzer between two flip shot holes.  again, now you can start your disc on any angle you choose.

hole 15 is a skilled two in the long position and favors the lefties.  the short location was put in for lions den and leagues early/late in the year where daylight is a concern.  is stays short too much but the short location breaks up some of the monotony caused by 14s change.

hole 16 is designed like a ball golf hole.  it pinches down with double ob where most players land their drive.  the headwind provides the major challenge here.  is can be a little boring without it.  this hole can screw up your round if you take it for granted.

hole 17 needs it tree as well though it is still a tough hole without the tree.  again like fairway bunkers in ball golf, the fairway pinches with double ob where some players land their drive.  wind provides more teeth but this is a tough hole either way. 

hole 18 is not a good hole.  the drive on this hole is usually not meaningful.  500+ throwers can have a chance at 2 by bringing the ob in play.  there used to be a lower branch to contend with on the upshot to the short, but its still usually a star par for advanced/pros.  the long location makes you use your head a little more, but can bring the cars into play. 

swope has had the same problems, and waterworks to some extent.  can u imagine losing some of the key trees that make holes at waterworks?  either the left or right tree on 1,7,8,10?  remember 11 when it had the lower ceiling?  it was a much better hole.  how will hole 13 or 16 be if they loose their one tree?

instead of calling any hole the worst hole ever, how about bringing some extra water or mulch for the smaller trees at your favorite course?  be thankful for some of the trees we still have and . . . play the Tree Love Classic on September 15th where we will be joining together to raise the awareness of this exact issue.  i know, shameless plug  :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:52:49 AM by twoDornottwoD »
Drew D Neitzel

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »

Now that you have let the cat out of the bag, all the 'cool' disc golfers will be there.  Darn.
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »

Who? ;)
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 02:31:35 PM »
Drew, I guess I never saw the course when it was fresh since I only recently started playing. It sounds like it would play a lot better with those trees in place on some of the open holes so you can't air it out there so easily. Risk/reward is what makes this game so addicting.

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »
Love Cliff Drive!
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »

Who? ;)
You Tube them. they are great live.
Steven Disc Glover

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »

Now that you have let the cat out of the bag, all the 'cool' disc golfers will be there.  Darn.
I have 2 reserved seats!!
Steven Disc Glover

Wink

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2012, 04:40:50 AM »
Thanks  Jack!!!

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »
So, big crowd tonight or is Jack going to Knuckleheads early?
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »
So, big crowd tonight or is Jack going to Knuckleheads early?

Knucklehead's is always closed on Monday and Tuesday unless they book a show. No show tonight... closed. But I plan to be at CD league!  8)

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »
League is not at cliff today. It's the first Monday of the month, that means BV.
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
League is not at cliff today. It's the first Monday of the month, that means BV.

8)

More the better!!  Thanks for the heads up.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org