Author Topic: Volunteers needed: Help water Blue Valley trees!  (Read 1474 times)

marshal

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Re: water help please
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »
Do they need constant watering?  I can water at random times or when/if I go play there. 
Leave No Trace

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 03:55:19 PM »
Once a week would be a ideal, but there are a couple hundred trees that need a bucket each. It's not gonna be possible without help from Mother Nature, I'm afraid. My guess is that the vast majority of these small seedlimgs won't make it. Heck, even the 3 bald cypress trees on #1 are all but dead, and they were larger trees.

The fact is, these parks are all going to be pastures in a few years if more trees aren't planted and cared for. The large mature trees are all at the end of their life cycles, which is why we seem to lose one every time it storms real good. Hopefully it will rain a few times in the coming weeks, and these small seedlings will have a chance to establish themselves.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 12:10:34 AM »
It's good to see Hyzer back with his usual rants, and he brings up an excellent point. It is 3 to 5 guys/gals who generally do all the work at any given course. They do this on their time and sometimes dime. To some degree it's just a fact of organizations; a small number of people, say 20%, cause the vast majority of problems, and similarly, a small number of people do the vast majority of work. The name for this slips my mind on this Friday night. Regardless of what it's called, Mike has a valid point. Maybe the timing for this watering event was poor for the vast majority, yet we can all still be involved.

Many may not know it but the KCFDC is one of the largest disc golf clubs in the country, and hence the world. I hear lots of gripes about the club, the board, the courses, the tournaments, and so on. Well, you want it, so let's work together to change it. The KCFDC BoD has worked hard to create a culture of greater transparency  which is moving away from the old model of two or three individuals doing all the work  and delegating responsibilities to general membership, BoD members (all nine), and course coordinators in an effort to be  more proactive in our behavior. We invite more participation from general membership in all aspects of the organization and disc golf in general.

All of us have a course, a cause, or community we love for whatever reason. What can you do to make it better? Help benefit others? Educate others about your passion? The KCFDC wants to help make that happen. Even if Mike does bad mouth us every chance he gets, it's because he loves the game and the community.

Next Board meeting second week of August. 

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »
I'm just lamenting the pathetic turnouts for anything involving work, Eric. The only folks I'm bad mouthing are the users who know who they are.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:46 PM »
We didn't get any rain and the daily temperatures are still close to 100 or above, so we need to continue the watering of the small trees at Blue Valley Park.

We will meet at the main shelter house on Thursday Aug 2 between 7:30 and 8 a.m. We should be finished by about 10 a.m. before the temperature gets really hot. Anyone who can come lend a hand would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks to Bill Fessler we now have the use of a large water tank mounted on a trailer. The tank does not have a long hose but we will be able to take the tank close to the trees, fill the buckets and hand carry them the short distance to the trees.

I am going to clean up the list of e-mails the watering messages are being sent to. If you do not want to receive these messages please sent me an e-mail requesting that your e-mail address be removed.

Paul

--Paul Habiger Kansas City, M
T

Will be needing more hELP.....New job won't allow me to be there...
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"