General > Beginners

Old and new

(1/4) > >>

Mick:
Hi everybody. I'm an old guy who just started playing and  I'm new to the game. (old Frisbee player)  I have been going to Legecy and P-Hill. Wow I'm addicted and started this as a way to loss weight but have found a new love. The best part is everyone I have ran in to has been very nice and friendly. I really liked the way I was treated at DGW and the poeple I have encountered on the courses have been great.

I would like to say Thank You to the young man that helped me out at P-Hill on Saturday, it helped me put another 40/50 feet to my throw. I'm still working on it.

If you see me out on the courses, give me a break. I'm old and fat and very out of shape but am enjoying my time on the field. I have the summers off and have been going out in the mornings to beat the heat.

Here is what I need to know. I have Par'ed a few baskets and wondered how far do they figure a throw is to make a Par? A 215 ft is Par 3 and a 450 is Par4. How is this figured?

Thank you
Mick

Utz:
Honestly there are a few "magic" recipes that some use to determine par. such as Close Range Par or Traditional Par. explained here.
In my opinion its a matter of how many legitimate throws it takes for someone to hole out. With this logic distance doesn't always dictate the # for par. Determining factors include foliage, elevation, distance and the relationship between tee/pin (think dog-leg, or other defined mandos)

Mike Hyzer:
Mick, welcome to the sport and to the great KC disc golf community.

Mick:
Thanks, after reading the internet tips.  I think until I get comfortable with playing, I'm not going to worry about a score. I'm doing OK to keep the disc in the fairway and out of the weeds.  I read more then once about control vs. distance. Watching others throw , I wanted more then I am capable of. First things first, Pleasent Hill has Rec Par and I need to stick to that.

I used to be a good Ball Golfer and just wanted to do welll with the disc. I understand the mechanics but don't have the technics down.
I think I found a sport I can truly get into. My wife who doesn't care for outdoor stuff , wants to play. I gave her a putter and she tried. That is a good thing for me.

As for now, just don't point and laugh. At lest I'm keeping it out of the weeds.

Cheers
Mick

rickrose2007:

--- Quote from: Mick on July 17, 2012, 10:02:00 PM ---Thanks, after reading the internet tips.  I think until I get comfortable with playing, I'm not going to worry about a score. I'm doing OK to keep the disc in the fairway and out of the weeds.  I read more then once about control vs. distance. Watching others throw , I wanted more then I am capable of. First things first, Pleasent Hill has Rec Par and I need to stick to that.

I used to be a good Ball Golfer and just wanted to do welll with the disc. I understand the mechanics but don't have the technics down.
I think I found a sport I can truly get into. My wife who doesn't care for outdoor stuff , wants to play. I gave her a putter and she tried. That is a good thing for me.

As for now, just don't point and laugh. At lest I'm keeping it out of the weeds.

Cheers
Mick

--- End quote ---

Mick,

Welcome to the forum and to the sport. I am turning 30 next wednesday and I just started playing myself. I am like a month into playing. Just keep at it and take every pointer you can get from the veterans. it truly helps, I have received all kinds of pointers from different players and my score has been improving. I started off throwing around mid 90's for 18 holes, I am creeping down to single digits and soon I will be under par hopefully. If you ever want to play, shoot me a PM. I am available after 530pm on weekdays and available on weekends. I am always looking for someone to throw with!!

Rick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version