General > Beginners

Old and new

<< < (2/4) > >>

Aaron:
P Hill is good for learning.  I play there 2-3 a week. My wife doesn't play but she comes along for the excersize.  Ever want to play PM me.

sirbronco:
I live really close to Swope, and can play almost any night of the week, and I work close to Water Works and Cliff Drive.  I am on IR for the next week or so, but my arm should be back up and throwing soon.  Hit me up almost anytime for a round.

Van

Utz:
IMO, the best thing you can do is become intimately familiar with your Disc Setup. There are PLENTY of discs out there. After awhile you start seeing overlap in the discs abilities. So finding a few discs that feel good to you is a great place to start. Once you've found a set, go to an open field and throw them over and over. experiment with different grips, learn your 'hyzer' and 'anhyzer' angles; Learn how to apply those throws to certain on-course situations. The best feeling in an actual round of golf is knowing exactly what your disc is going to do, and when you need to do it. This isnt a guessing game, but rather a calculated formula of fun!

TL;DR: Find a few discs you like, throw them over and over in an open field

Ash:

--- Quote from: Mick on July 17, 2012, 10:02:00 PM ---Thanks, after reading the internet tips.  I think until I get comfortable with playing, I'm not going to worry about a score. I'm doing OK to keep the disc in the fairway and out of the weeds.  I read more then once about control vs. distance. Watching others throw , I wanted more then I am capable of. First things first, Pleasent Hill has Rec Par and I need to stick to that.

I used to be a good Ball Golfer and just wanted to do welll with the disc. I understand the mechanics but don't have the technics down.
I think I found a sport I can truly get into. My wife who doesn't care for outdoor stuff , wants to play. I gave her a putter and she tried. That is a good thing for me.

As for now, just don't point and laugh. At lest I'm keeping it out of the weeds.

Cheers
Mick

--- End quote ---

Keeping score may help you to improve and know you are improving. Just don't worry about par. I find that too many players worry about par and get discouraged when they aren't getting 3's all the time. To me par is irrelevant, as a new player you should be worrying about beating your own scores, not worried about getting "par".

sirbronco:

--- Quote from: Ash on July 18, 2012, 10:29:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mick on July 17, 2012, 10:02:00 PM ---Thanks, after reading the internet tips.  I think until I get comfortable with playing, I'm not going to worry about a score. I'm doing OK to keep the disc in the fairway and out of the weeds.  I read more then once about control vs. distance. Watching others throw , I wanted more then I am capable of. First things first, Pleasent Hill has Rec Par and I need to stick to that.

I used to be a good Ball Golfer and just wanted to do welll with the disc. I understand the mechanics but don't have the technics down.
I think I found a sport I can truly get into. My wife who doesn't care for outdoor stuff , wants to play. I gave her a putter and she tried. That is a good thing for me.

As for now, just don't point and laugh. At lest I'm keeping it out of the weeds.

Cheers
Mick

--- End quote ---

Keeping score may help you to improve and know you are improving. Just don't worry about par. I find that too many players worry about par and get discouraged when they aren't getting 3's all the time. To me par is irrelevant, as a new player you should be worrying about beating your own scores, not worried about getting "par".

--- End quote ---

Well said, Ash!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version