Author Topic: Old and new  (Read 2012 times)

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Old and new
« on: July 16, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »
Hi everybody. I'm an old guy who just started playing and  I'm new to the game. (old Frisbee player)  I have been going to Legecy and P-Hill. Wow I'm addicted and started this as a way to loss weight but have found a new love. The best part is everyone I have ran in to has been very nice and friendly. I really liked the way I was treated at DGW and the poeple I have encountered on the courses have been great.

I would like to say Thank You to the young man that helped me out at P-Hill on Saturday, it helped me put another 40/50 feet to my throw. I'm still working on it.

If you see me out on the courses, give me a break. I'm old and fat and very out of shape but am enjoying my time on the field. I have the summers off and have been going out in the mornings to beat the heat.

Here is what I need to know. I have Par'ed a few baskets and wondered how far do they figure a throw is to make a Par? A 215 ft is Par 3 and a 450 is Par4. How is this figured?

Thank you
Mick
Who ever said it was easy ,never met me.

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
Re: Old and new
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:17:21 AM »
Honestly there are a few "magic" recipes that some use to determine par. such as Close Range Par or Traditional Par. explained here.
In my opinion its a matter of how many legitimate throws it takes for someone to hole out. With this logic distance doesn't always dictate the # for par. Determining factors include foliage, elevation, distance and the relationship between tee/pin (think dog-leg, or other defined mandos)
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
Mick, welcome to the sport and to the great KC disc golf community.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks, after reading the internet tips.  I think until I get comfortable with playing, I'm not going to worry about a score. I'm doing OK to keep the disc in the fairway and out of the weeds.  I read more then once about control vs. distance. Watching others throw , I wanted more then I am capable of. First things first, Pleasent Hill has Rec Par and I need to stick to that.

I used to be a good Ball Golfer and just wanted to do welll with the disc. I understand the mechanics but don't have the technics down.
I think I found a sport I can truly get into. My wife who doesn't care for outdoor stuff , wants to play. I gave her a putter and she tried. That is a good thing for me.

As for now, just don't point and laugh. At lest I'm keeping it out of the weeds.

Cheers
Mick
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:03:43 PM by Mick »

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »
Thanks, after reading the internet tips.  I think until I get comfortable with playing, I'm not going to worry about a score. I'm doing OK to keep the disc in the fairway and out of the weeds.  I read more then once about control vs. distance. Watching others throw , I wanted more then I am capable of. First things first, Pleasent Hill has Rec Par and I need to stick to that.

I used to be a good Ball Golfer and just wanted to do welll with the disc. I understand the mechanics but don't have the technics down.
I think I found a sport I can truly get into. My wife who doesn't care for outdoor stuff , wants to play. I gave her a putter and she tried. That is a good thing for me.

As for now, just don't point and laugh. At lest I'm keeping it out of the weeds.

Cheers
Mick

Mick,

Welcome to the forum and to the sport. I am turning 30 next wednesday and I just started playing myself. I am like a month into playing. Just keep at it and take every pointer you can get from the veterans. it truly helps, I have received all kinds of pointers from different players and my score has been improving. I started off throwing around mid 90's for 18 holes, I am creeping down to single digits and soon I will be under par hopefully. If you ever want to play, shoot me a PM. I am available after 530pm on weekdays and available on weekends. I am always looking for someone to throw with!!

Rick
Where'd my disc go?
KCFDC #:  1472
PDGA#:  54955

Aaron

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:45:56 AM »
P Hill is good for learning.  I play there 2-3 a week. My wife doesn't play but she comes along for the excersize.  Ever want to play PM me.
Calm down, this is just for fun.

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:58:59 AM »
I live really close to Swope, and can play almost any night of the week, and I work close to Water Works and Cliff Drive.  I am on IR for the next week or so, but my arm should be back up and throwing soon.  Hit me up almost anytime for a round.

Van
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »
IMO, the best thing you can do is become intimately familiar with your Disc Setup. There are PLENTY of discs out there. After awhile you start seeing overlap in the discs abilities. So finding a few discs that feel good to you is a great place to start. Once you've found a set, go to an open field and throw them over and over. experiment with different grips, learn your 'hyzer' and 'anhyzer' angles; Learn how to apply those throws to certain on-course situations. The best feeling in an actual round of golf is knowing exactly what your disc is going to do, and when you need to do it. This isnt a guessing game, but rather a calculated formula of fun!

TL;DR: Find a few discs you like, throw them over and over in an open field
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 10:29:32 AM »

Cheers
Mick

Keeping score may help you to improve and know you are improving. Just don't worry about par. I find that too many players worry about par and get discouraged when they aren't getting 3's all the time. To me par is irrelevant, as a new player you should be worrying about beating your own scores, not worried about getting "par".
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:41:56 AM »

Cheers
Mick

Keeping score may help you to improve and know you are improving. Just don't worry about par. I find that too many players worry about par and get discouraged when they aren't getting 3's all the time. To me par is irrelevant, as a new player you should be worrying about beating your own scores, not worried about getting "par".

Well said, Ash!
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »
Thanks for the invites. I have been hitting Legecy after 7:30/8 to beat the heat. I'm heading for Nebraska this weekend , there is a course in Ashland  we are going to hit. I go back to work in a couple of weeks so the afternoon times will work.

I have been reading the web and found this  http://www.quadcitydiscgolf.com/TipsForSuccess  I have to remember it takes time .

The best line is there is no secret to learning golf quickly. If you guys are up to it, I'll take you up on the offers in a couple of weeks.

Man is it hot
Cheers
Mick

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
Here are the article I generally direct people to start playing.

http://discgolfreview.com/resources/articles.shtml/

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »
Yah for dead links!
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 03:41:48 PM »
 :o
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles.shtml

How about that?  One too many forward slashes sir.