Author Topic: 10th Annual Lion's Den Open - 8-18-12 Party kicks off at 10am  (Read 4714 times)

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 10th Annual Lion's Den Open - 8-18-12 Party kicks off at 10am
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 08:29:19 AM »
More reasons to attend the LDOX:

#4 - Fred Netherton BBQ Lunch. Smoked Pork Ribs and Shoulders... mmmm mmmm good!
#3 - Frank Macaluso Dinner. Grilled Kaboobs!
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
we can accommodate CC's with a 4% service fee.

4% ouch!  I use square on my phone for taking credit cards for only 2.75%  I know of a certain disc golf store in town that doens't charge anything for using a credit card.  It may well be built into the cost of goods just like rent, payroll, etc... but they don't charge you for using a card.  Just sayin, that's the cost of doing business... for us digital age folks, cash is not often on hand. 
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 09:00:06 AM »
I'll cover the steep $1 fee for you.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 09:05:08 AM »
we can accommodate CC's with a 4% service fee.

4% ouch!  I use square on my phone for taking credit cards for only 2.75%  I know of a certain disc golf store in town that doens't charge anything for using a credit card.  It may well be built into the cost of goods just like rent, payroll, etc... but they don't charge you for using a card.  Just sayin, that's the cost of doing business... for us digital age folks, cash is not often on hand.

4% on one entry fee is a whopping $1. Trust me, anyone that deals with credit cards has to pay a fee. If other businesses don't say they are charging a fee they are padding it into the price. In this case, since this event isn't typical goods from this vendor they are passing along the fee. If you have issue with it hit an ATM and get some cash. But make sure it's an ATM for your own bank or they'll hit you with a fee....   :D
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »
I'll cover the steep $1 fee for you.
It's not the amount, but the principal.  It's like saying, well I have to pay for electricity, so I'm going to charge you a % of that for walking in my door.  You don't do that, but I'm sure it's a consideration when deciding what to charge for goods and services. 
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 10:12:01 AM »
We DON'T Do this to make money.....in fact I spend money on this event....so you want me to pay for your fee now? :o  We could charge the amount that makes us money, but then it wouldn't be a birthday party would it?  It would be a tournament, which this is not!  :-*

At any rate, Dick already said that he would pay your $1 Mr. Pink, so annie up if you wanna go!  ;D

The program is up:

Here's the link. http://kcfdc.org/docs/2012_LDO.pdf

The principal of the event is to enjoy the park, and have fun, and we try to make it so that there is a good time had by all with minimal cost.  My theory on this has always been, if you took me out for a couple of beers on my B-day what would it cost you?  I can guarantee those that know me, are well aware that a $25 fee is far less than the bar tab of a few drinks (its less than most of my lunch time in between rounds tab), so be thankful I don't go with that amount!

I know the case you are trying to make, but....
  • This is not a store/vendor run event
  • We are not a Bank
  • We are not hiding fees
  • Someone will have to pay that fee (Dick, really?)
  • You know 4-Square was hacked hard, and accounts stolen right?  I have a 4-square at home if you would prefer to do that, and will charge the 2.75% instead...you wanna take that risk over $.30
  • Why are you seriously complaining about this?  Really bothers you that much?  Don't sweat the little stuff, and it is all little stuff!

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »
THIS IS NOT A @#&$ing KCFDC EVENT YOU @$&#ERS!!! ;D ;D ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 10:37:44 AM »
But if you would like to join the club at the Lion's Den we are a firm supporter of what the club does for the local scene, and will take registrations there!  Maybe even one of the Board Members will be there to administer this act, but.....if not, it will still be fun!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »
Well, in a word, Yes.  It does bother me.  I could take the time and piece together all the previous posts, but to be honest I don't feel like working that hard this morning.  I am, however, in just foul enough of a mood to keep beating this horse until It's sufficiently dead. 

1) if it's not a store sponsered event, why are cc payments being accepted at DGW for 4%?
2) I know it's not a club event, never said it was
3) just trying to shed some light on the fact there are cheaper ways to accept CC.
4) you don't think banks get hacked

I could go on and on, but I wont.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
Dick works at DGW, so hence why he could accept it there, otherwise we wouldn't!

Keizer's post was in reference to a heated exchange between himself and Dick!

We all know that Banks are always about getting money

Yes, just that 4-square was hit hard recently....

Sorry you are in a foul mood, I am really trying to be playful with it, it is really just about having a good time at a park that 10 years ago was ignored and neglected by most.  Now it has a vibrant active scene in it that helps to deter inappropriate activity (though some may feel that the LDO has it's share of such shenanigans) from being the norm.

We really just want people to come out and have a good time, the pre-registration is something new this year, it has never been an option in the past unless you were buying stuff to help us for the event!  Its been a fun time working on the course again, and I think that we will be all very excited about the permanent changes that we are putting into the park!

So get out of the foul mood!  The weather is going to be hot today, but the temps will be cool as the other side of the pillow on Saturday, and you may come in with a bad attitude, but we hope you leave with a smile, and an appreciation of what all the Leo's in the KC disc golf scene do......there are a bunch of us!

Foul days suck!  I hope it changes! ;)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »
We DON'T Do this to make money.....in fact I spend money on this event....so you want me to pay for your fee now? :o  We could charge the amount that makes us money, but then it wouldn't be a birthday party would it?  It would be a tournament, which this is not!  :-*

At any rate, Dick already said that he would pay your $1 Mr. Pink, so annie up if you wanna go!  ;D

The program is up:

Here's the link. http://kcfdc.org/docs/2012_LDO.pdf

The principal of the event is to enjoy the park, and have fun, and we try to make it so that there is a good time had by all with minimal cost.  My theory on this has always been, if you took me out for a couple of beers on my B-day what would it cost you?  I can guarantee those that know me, are well aware that a $25 fee is far less than the bar tab of a few drinks (its less than most of my lunch time in between rounds tab), so be thankful I don't go with that amount!

I know the case you are trying to make, but....
  • This is not a store/vendor run event
  • We are not a Bank
  • We are not hiding fees
  • Someone will have to pay that fee (Dick, really?)
  • You know 4-Square was hacked hard, and accounts stolen right?  I have a 4-square at home if you would prefer to do that, and will charge the 2.75% instead...you wanna take that risk over $.30
  • Why are you seriously complaining about this?  Really bothers you that much?  Don't sweat the little stuff, and it is all little stuff!

If I was buying you beers I would resort to the Natty Light or PBR....saves me money in the long run! In any event, I am going to try and make it out this weekend! I have never played Cliff Drive but all I hear is you need to check out LDO, so ya'll are doing something right when half the members are telling me to go here!
Where'd my disc go?
KCFDC #:  1472
PDGA#:  54955

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »
I apologize for continuing this thread's detour, but Mr BBJon (who are you by the way) implies that DGW charges a surcharge on bank cards for all purchases. This is absolutely false.  DGW's policy for accepting registrations for tournaments that ARE NOT DGW productions includes charging 4% , which cover the credit card fees and the time it takes to handle the transaction and the subsequent payment to the organizers. It's neither excessive nor exploitative. And of course, NO ONE HAS TO PAY WITH A BANK CARD. Players can pay with cash or checks with no fee being charged. As a point of information, DGW absorbs the bank charges on entries for DGW-produced tournaments, such as the upcoming Rosedale Amateur Championships. Now, please let's go back to having fun at what is shaping up to be the best LDO ever.

Well, in a word, Yes.  It does bother me.  I could take the time and piece together all the previous posts, but to be honest I don't feel like working that hard this morning.  I am, however, in just foul enough of a mood to keep beating this horse until It's sufficiently dead. 

1) if it's not a store sponsered event, why are cc payments being accepted at DGW for 4%?
2) I know it's not a club event, never said it was
3) just trying to shed some light on the fact there are cheaper ways to accept CC.
4) you don't think banks get hacked

I could go on and on, but I wont.
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Jed

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »
I cant wait until Saturday!!

Jed

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 12:02:10 PM »
Dick have you seen my seen my disc? I will be down tomorrow to pick it up and to pick up my swag..

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »
"If I was buying you beers I would resort to the Natty Light or PBR" (Too much work to quote the whole string)

Now your talking.  I perfer "The Beast" actually.  $11 for a case, now that's economic.  (insert discaimer here about DGW in no way supporting the drinking of alcoholic beverages)

How come when someone expresss an opinion that is construed as having a bad day?  I simply don't like additional fees.  In fact, I don't know of many people who like paying more for something they could be paying less for.  I know even fewer people who like paying for "handling fees", which is exactly what a 4% credit card fee is.  And yes Rick, 4% is both excessive and exploitive, that's how banks make money :) (insert disclaimer here about DGW in now way being associated with the 4% credit card fee)

I do understand that there is a cost to doing business, as I said before for those who paid attention, I'm a business owner myself.  I paid for a business license, I pay business taxes, I understand everyone gets a piece of the pie.  Some pieces are smaller than others, and as a responsible business owner, I owe it to my customers to keep costs down.  (insert disclaimer that DGW is in no way associated with the LDO)

Now, all of this being said, I am planning on attending the LDO.  I will bring cash, as I in no way want for anyone to pay for me to have fun.  I never asked for anyone to pay for my entry fee, nor did I complain about the entry fee.  I only expressed a concern that I thought 4% for a credit card was high.  (you get the idea by this point I hope)

I'm not angry, I'm not going to blow up a building or anything... I just thought I could cary on a rational, adult, debate about something that I had an opinion on... or is that not what a "Forum" is for?

I too cannot wait until Sat.  I'm going to have a great time!