Author Topic: Am Tournaments?  (Read 531 times)

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Am Tournaments?
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
Got a question, whats a good tournament for an Ammeter?  I just want to get out and have fun but also compete with people at my skill level. What would you recommend?

I am average thrower I believe, for only playing a month, I average +9-11 on 18 holes and it keeps dropping.
Where'd my disc go?
KCFDC #:  1472
PDGA#:  54955

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Am Tournaments?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:30:56 AM »
Usually in October, Rick R. runs the Rosedale Ameture Championships!  However, just playing the Am side of most events is good experience.  I always learn from the players I play with.
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »
There's none any closer? I just wanted to get that experience and get out and play some disc golf. What about this PITT open, does it have a Am division? and how is that one?
Where'd my disc go?

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »
Unless otherwise noted, each tournament you see will have the standard Am Divisions:

MA1: AdvancedAm's rated 935 or higher must play this
MA2: Intermediatemust be < 935 rating
MA3: Recreationalmust be < 900 rating
MA4: Novicemust be <850

SO! Depending on if the tourney is PDGA sanctioned or not, the ratings can somewhat guide you into a specific division. Given your said experience, and if you're looking for a challenge, play Intermediate. Playing 'up' always has its advantages, such as getting to see people better than you, how they throw, handle the game, prepare etc etc. Playing 'down' also has its advantages too. for example, if you're the leader going into the final round you'll be taught how to preserve your lead, manage the course and win a tournament.

Both are great, and its always the best when you play up AND win.

There's a tournament this saturday, the DD Rosedale 1 rounder. I would suggest playing in that as its non-sanctioned and should be a great tourney for you to start in. Study your rule book, and prepare yourself mentally and physically (should be a hot one!)

Good luck!
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
Unless otherwise noted, each tournament you see will have the standard Am Divisions:

MA1: AdvancedAm's rated 935 or higher must play this
MA2: Intermediatemust be < 935 rating
MA3: Recreationalmust be < 900 rating
MA4: Novicemust be <850

SO! Depending on if the tourney is PDGA sanctioned or not, the ratings can somewhat guide you into a specific division. Given your said experience, and if you're looking for a challenge, play Intermediate. Playing 'up' always has its advantages, such as getting to see people better than you, how they throw, handle the game, prepare etc etc. Playing 'down' also has its advantages too. for example, if you're the leader going into the final round you'll be taught how to preserve your lead, manage the course and win a tournament.

Both are great, and its always the best when you play up AND win.

There's a tournament this saturday, the DD Rosedale 1 rounder. I would suggest playing in that as its non-sanctioned and should be a great tourney for you to start in. Study your rule book, and prepare yourself mentally and physically (should be a hot one!)

Good luck!

Where do I find said rule book and I will check this one out Saturday...do we know if any other Am's will be there?
Where'd my disc go?

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
I'm sure there will be plenty of AMs there for you to compete with.

http://www.pdga.com/rules

Rule book there^^ You can get a softback copy from your favourite Kansas City disc golf store. I always keep a copy in my bag..

Just familiarize yourself with the rules, oh and use a mini-marker! you'll want to get one of those too. You never want to take strokes away from your game just because you dont understand how to play your lie!
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »
I'm sure there will be plenty of AMs there for you to compete with.

http://www.pdga.com/rules

Rule book there^^ You can get a softback copy from your favourite Kansas City disc golf store. I always keep a copy in my bag..

Just familiarize yourself with the rules, oh and use a mini-marker! you'll want to get one of those too. You never want to take strokes away from your game just because you dont understand how to play your lie!

I have a mini KCFDC marker I got when I signed up for the leagues...so I will use that. I will look at that rule book and get a soft copy. I will have to go check this tournament out, get some experience under my belt! I really appreciate it!
Where'd my disc go?

kselrod

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 01:36:55 PM »
There's none any closer? I just wanted to get that experience and get out and play some disc golf. What about this PITT open, does it have a Am division? and how is that one?

Yes we have REC, INT and ADV divisions filling up at the PITT Open.  Just pick which one you feel comfortable playing in.  I've been told that the course is a somewhat difficult layout but I think there is plenty of birdies to be had by any skill level of players.  Hope to see you there!

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 03:12:09 PM »
yeah, no need to memorize the rules.   but get familiar with them and carry your rulebook in any tournament.  Rules around various lies (marking your lie, OB, unplayable... etc), stance and courtesy are the ones to study more closely. 

First tourney, Rick, play Rec.  if you kill it there, then consider INT next time.

I signed up for the PITT open today and I am going to try REC, I am excited for my first tournament. I will try to get by DGW and pick up a copy of the rule book!
Where'd my disc go?

kselrod

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 03:54:10 PM »
If you have a smartphone then you already have a rulebook.  Save the moola that way...lol.  I have bookmarks and the such related to disc golf on various screens of my Galaxy S III.

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »
If you have a smartphone then you already have a rulebook.  Save the moola that way...lol.  I have bookmarks and the such related to disc golf on various screens of my Galaxy S III.

true! I can put my iPhone to use!! Thanks for that heads up!
Where'd my disc go?