Author Topic: Driving help  (Read 456 times)

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
Driving help
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
I can lay a solid line on a Sidewinder, but lately I've been trying to achieve more than 300'-350' on my drive. In doing this, I figured I need a high speed disc, and after some reading, I picked up a few Bosses(2 star and 1 blizzard) to throw around and try to get used to. Since I've been throwing them, they've always hyzered on me, and cannot get them to fly straight. If I try to S-Curve them, I'm twisting my body more than feels comfortable, yet still getting the same "D" as my Sidewinder.

In summary, I think I need to work on the hip/shoulder rotation to add that "snap" at release. I have been working on that, but seem like I'm failing. Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated.

Note: I know "pure D" is different than "golf D". I'm trying to incorporate both.
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You.

asjzn6

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Driving help
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »
Personally i would stay away from real high speed stuff. 350' can be acheived with slower plastic. Be more concerned about stability. If you can throw a sidewinder, try out something similar to that. I would say a 170-172 valkyrie, Try a teebird. My longest drives have been with disc i know i can control. Bosses are going to be real stable. The amount of speed you would have to get on a boss to start working relevant to a sidewinder is a huge gap.
Adam Johnson

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:25:05 PM »
I agree with Adam. Gradually work your way up on speed and stability.

I started with a sidewinder, then a wraith, and then finally a boss. It takes time and playing with people that are better than you, but you'll get there. Just stick with it. 500+ feet in due time ;)
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »
What they said above (they got here first, while I was typing this).

I may not be the best to comment on D, as I am pretty well maxed out at the 300-350' golf-d, unless I unleash a blizzard in a tail wind and really hit it well then I can get 400'+).  But I'll make an attempt and wait for the massacre to begin.

When you move to a higher speed disc, you need more spin AND more arm speed.  Throwing a more over-stable disc at the same speed as the under-stable disc (in the same conditions) will almost always result in more left finish with the over-stable disc.  You also will see a big difference when throwing into the wind vs tail wind (that is for another post), but it definitely changes the "apparent" speed of the disc.

Maybe you should look at something a between the sidewinder and the boss (as these are pretty big ranges of stability and speed).

Once I started turning my sidewinders over, I though I had to go to something more stable to get more d, but I was wrong.  I played with a group on night at league and they suggested I release with a little hyzer/more hyzer. This allowed me to "turnover" the sidewinder and still get a nice looking S-line out of it. I added 30-50' THAT night. I eventually moved to more stable discs (than the sidewinder - Startfire/Firebird/Wraith), but when the blizzard plastic came I tried it and am hooked.  I don't need to throw as hard with it to get get D and sweet looking lines. That said, you need to really work on release point and snap vs speed for these discs AND they are super effected by the wind at the weight I throw (130's, wanted something that floats).

Ok, that's my $.02, hope it was somewhat helpful.

TomV
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 07:05:12 AM »
thank you all for your suggestions, I will look into getting something in between and gradually work my way up.   I will have to get a recording of my drives and show you all for critique.
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You.

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »
thank you all for your suggestions, I will look into getting something in between and gradually work my way up.   I will have to get a recording of my drives and show you all for critique.

You're welcome, hope it helps some.

Getting a recording is also good for you. Watching yourself throw is a really big help. Sometimes you THINK you know what you are doing and even though it feels like it, when you watch it on video you are doing something completely different.
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.