Author Topic: Help Me Put Discs in the Hands of Beginners!  (Read 413 times)

Zier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Help Me Put Discs in the Hands of Beginners!
« on: May 07, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »
ISO: Extra Putters. My school is having an all school picnic on the last day of school (21st) and I plan on setting up my portable disc golf basket and operating some kind of putting competition. I'd like to do some driving or something too, but not sure how that will interfere with football and soccer stuff going on that day. Anyway, I'm happy to use my putters as well, but I need about 12 more putters to run the contest the way I'd like to. (5 putts at 10, 15, 20, 25 ft). If you have any putters (particularly judges or wizards) that you aren't attached to (I will try to ensure their safety) let me know.

Also, if you have any old discs laying around that you would like to put in the hands of some urban core kids, hit me up. I'll find them a home. I want to increase awareness this year, so I can try to form a club in the future.

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Help Me Put Discs in the Hands of Beginners!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 08:11:27 pm »
Contact Pete.

From April BOD Meeting minutes.

8:24-Pete Cashen reports that there are approximately 400 discs at Dynamic Discs that the owners have been called repeatedly and not come to get the discs. He plans to make a stamp for them that indicates the owners abandoned the discs just so no one has a problem in the future. Would like to donate to clinics, schools, Disc Golf Divas and new player's leagues and possibly "yard sale" them for the Club.

400 discs!!! That's unbelievable.

Zier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:15:29 pm »
 I can certainly access a lot of mids or drivers, the problem is putters. Putters aren't frequently lost since you don't throw them that far. That being said, I know I need to contact Pete. I was at that meeting.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:22:47 pm by Zier »

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 08:12:20 am »
Haha, many people have no idea who is even on the board Nate....case and point.
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Disciple

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 10:37:26 am »
Most of the easy to use putters, mids, and fairway driver discs have already been donated to schools out of that group Pete was talking about.
Student of the Disc
JHARV 171

Zier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 10:46:33 am »
I actually talked to Doug at GBO briefly as well. I wonder if he could pick me out in a lineup.

Just giving you a hard time SteelerDoug.

Zier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 05:19:18 pm »
This is why our club rocks. I asked about this earlier today, and I get a message from Josh at DD saying somebody dropped off "some discs" for me and asking if I could pick them up. I walk in expecting a couple putters, maybe a mid... but no, this is what I find.  Thanks, I'm going to put these discs in the hands of some kids.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 05:09:29 pm »
I volunteered my basket and discs for a teacher in Lawrence to use on her field day. Plant the seeds people. Let's grow it!!
Steven Disc Glover

Zier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 02:53:13 pm »
Thank you very much for the discs. I put 75% of them in the hands of kids to take home and throw. A couple of the Destroyers weren't suitable for students (or teachers). The remainder of the discs were given to some teachers who were interested in the sport. I would love to post the picture of these 9 kids who got an assortment of discs because of the kind donor (who I know is lurking on this forum), and the KCFDC for donating a few Ace Race discs.

I also crushed some drives in the football field when students were coming down and loading up so they could see a real disc fly (not that I throw it that well, but it looks good in an open field).