Author Topic: OB, Stance, Relief, and Marking your lie  (Read 2993 times)

ReTee

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OB, Stance, Relief, and Marking your lie
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 07:57:17 PM »
As I see the rule and based on the graphics included in the initial post of this thread (which I see as sufficient to settle any dispute on OB rules), it doesn't matter if taking your meter relief puts you within 1m of OB.  The 1m is a standardized length of relief so that your stance isn't in OB territory.  So that example you drew up of the acute angle of safe territory, the 1m relief from where it went out would be plenty as long you can take your stance in bounds.  The spirit of the rule is that you move the disc as little as possible from the lie, not that there is 1m from any boundary.

Brian Collier

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »
You're exactly right, which is why it's more of a loophole than strict rules.

Because you're right, I could take a stance in a corner like that without standing OB, but a player might use that rule to their advantage to get closer to the basket.

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 10:39:33 AM »
Bump

Stance, relief, etc. came up in a conversation I had this past weekend.  Here is a great thread on it.

KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 10:45:57 AM »
Interesting though.  The graphic at the beginning references 803.05.  803.05 no longer exists in the current rules.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/803-the-lie

Link shows 'The Lie' has been consolidated to points .01 to .03.

It appears as though this was moved to 803.01B:

803.01 Obstacles And Relief
Last updated: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 18:19
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described below, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, or picnic tables), which is considered to be part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play.

B.Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round. To obtain relief, the player must remove the obstacle if it is practical to do so. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the target, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie (unless greater casual relief is announced by the Director).

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:50:19 AM by robm »
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 03:28:28 PM »
803.02 A
I think the relief line would be as far as you want or 'infinity' as some players state.
espouse elucidation