Author Topic: Seniors? how many?  (Read 462 times)

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Seniors? how many?
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »
I know I'm new but I have many questions.
I am 56 years old and just started playing Disc Golf. I have played Frisbee every since the 70's and can throw a Frisbee very well. Now it's a new game.

I was reading ( I research every thing) PDGA's web site and found this about Seniors.    www.pdga.com/files/documents/Senior-Disc-Golf-Tips.pdf

It bases seniors at 50 years old.
 Is there a Seniors league in the area? How many out there are in this age group? And what are you doing different then the younger player?

I know I do not have the flexibility the younger players have. I do keep it in the fairway, just not that far.

It's HOT
Cheers
Mick
Who ever said it was easy ,never met me.

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Seniors? how many?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »
First of all, Mick, welcome to Disc Golf, and more importantly, to KC Disc Golf.  I think you will find quite a few people your age here in KC who play.  This city has some really great opportunities for anyone who wants to play.

I run the Swope league on Tuesday nights, and it is not a "Senior" only league, but I do have a "Masters" division if enough people show up (3 people).

Come on out.

Van
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:06:55 PM »
I'm a grandmaster as well - Welcome!

Masters start at 4o, grandmasters at 50 and senior grandmasters at 60.

Most leagues have a masters division which will be everyone 40 and over. We have tried to get a grandmasters division going since there are so many of us now but it rarely happens. But at league it doesn't hurt to ask. At tournaments these days there is almost always an amateur grandmasters division.

As far as what I do differently, not much, but I probably should. I've been playing over twenty-five years though and and I can see my drives getting shorter and my body complaining louder the next day but other than that, just stay in shape to keep from getting injured and know your limitations. I'm sure others have more and perhaps better tips than me though.

I hope to see you on the course soon!
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »
There are some similarities between us Mick, I'm 53 and have been playing disc golf for almost three years now but have played disc sports for over 30 years.  What we lack in distance we have to make up in accuracy and wisdom. 

The PDGA used to have some comments on the page that breaks down the divisions but seems to be gone now, one thing i loved was that they said us grandmasters pull all the trick shots out of the bag.  Try to find ways to incorporate those years of experience with a disc onto the golf course.

Discraft's Challenger reminded me a lot of a regular old frisbee and I've been doing my best to learn to be accurate with it out to about 200ft, throwing both backhand and forehand.  But I swear it's the 20-40ft range that causes me the most problems.  I would definitely look for a putter you are comfortable with and practice, practice, practice.

But most important, have fun!  We are a pretty laid back group and although competition drives us to get better, it's more important to have fun!  Play a round with Kmont (the poster above) and you'll see what I mean.  Looking forward to seeing you out on the course!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:12:35 PM by dan howard »

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:14:49 PM »
hey mick, welcome to kc discgolf

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »
had a blast today mick.thanks for playing

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »
 Thanks all. Had a good day playing Swope park with Mark.
I think I'm going to try and show up for the Tuesday night .

Mick
Who ever said it was easy ,never met me.