Author Topic: KC - STL Comparison  (Read 1015 times)

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
KC - STL Comparison
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
Since I've moved out to STL from KC, I've definitely missed the courses in KC.  As well as the community.

Here are some things that I've noticed:

Forum Activity - Not very active on the STLDG Club forums, unlike here where it always seems hoppin'.

Courses - I think I got spoiled living close to Water Works.  I've enjoyed the courses out here that I've done, but nothing seems to come close to the courses I've played in KC.

Tee Signs - Most of the courses here that I've noticed, only show Hole #, Par, and distance.   No map of pin placements

Next Hole/Tee - After finishing most holes in KC, the next tee pad isn't too far away or there is an indicator of where the next one is.  Seems like I'm spending a lot of time trying to find the next hole out here.  This could be because some of the courses out here are first times for me.

Course Management - I can't complain on this.  All that I've been to have been fairly well kept and mowed.  Litter free.

I haven't had much of a chance to play w/ many people out here, but it always seemed that any course I went to in KC there were people I could join or they could join my group.  I'm always looking for better players than I am so that I can step up my game.  If you know anyone out here, I'd love to get with them and play a round or two.

Note:   The above mentioned are just my observations.
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You.

fenton

Re: KC - STL Comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »
I haven't been to St Louis for disc golf, where would you suggest playing in that area?

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Jake has been talking about a par 68 course that gateway just put in (care to elaborate?)....

Review forthcoming after the weekend I hope...
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »
Every time I go to STL to play I never feel "welcomed." It's a much friendlier atmosphere here in Kansas City. Everyone seems to be more serious and plays for themselves. I haven't had a tourney round out there that I could say was a "fun" card. I just think everyone is a bit more competitive out there.

As for courses, My favorite so far is Jefferson Barracks or Sioux Pass. Endicott is a nice course for a more relaxed round.

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »
Jake has been talking about a par 68 course that gateway just put in (care to elaborate?)....

Review forthcoming after the weekend I hope...

That would be Carrollton Park. They just had the first tournament there. I think they have a few reviews on DGCR the last time I checked.

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »
played there the other day.   Long holes.  Grass teepads, no indications on where next hole is (makes for getting lost easy). Make sure you bring a map for that one.  I personally wont go back there alone.   Hole indicators are a 4x4 post that has hole #, par, and from pad distances (red, blue, and another i dont remember).  No maps of pin locations, at tee.

Only saving grace about it, is that there is room for improvement.

If you are going to be in STL, hit up Sioux Passage.  Probably best course I've played so far.  Hitting up Jefferson Barracks today.  Will give my review on it tonight or tomorrow.

Courses I have played:

Sioux Passage - well kept course.  Good for driving, nice elevation changes.
Endicott - was alright.
White Birch - Only need to take a mid range and putter as really compact, short course
Carrollton (Bridgeton) - read above!
Kircher Park - short 9 hole in Eureka, MO.  Fun easy course.  (closest to me)  flat course
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:37:21 PM by MedicineMan »
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 02:20:42 PM »
reasons 1694 & 1695, why StL is KC's B!TCH!!!!!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »
I've played courses in the metro Detroit area the past two summers, and the experience was similar to your account of STL. Cool courses and all, but not as cool as KC, and not even close in atmosphere.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
Well, I finished Jefferson Barracks.   Probably the best course I've played over here.  Very well done w/ concrete pads, maps, pin locations.  Just over all good.  Kinda reminded me of a hybrid between WW and Shawnee.  Will definitely be playing that one again!
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

MUTigers

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 05:44:57 AM »
"Every time I go to STL to play I never feel "welcomed." It's a much friendlier atmosphere here in Kansas City. Everyone seems to be more serious and plays for themselves."

I agree with this.  I was in STL a few weeks ago and made the long drive to Sioux Passage.  We had just teed off on hole 1 when a group of 4 guys showed up and unpleasantly informed us we were not allowed on the course.  I gave a slight laugh thinking he was joking to which he responded, " No seriously course is closed for a tournament." There were 5 cars in the lot and they were they only players there, no signing indicating a tournament etc. I understand tournaments are going to happen but at the least they could've asked us to go to the back 9 to play back there, or at the VERY minimum been pleasant about it.

In my 6 months of disc golf experience in KC I have had, on multiple occasions, people give my friends discs and bags when it was obvious they were borrowing gear.  Also I have had solo players that were far better than our group ask to join us and give us pointers rather than keeping their head down and just playing through.

Granted my STL experience is limited to one day, I have yet to experience anything similar to that in KC.

chi chi rodweez

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 01:38:47 PM »
hit Quail Ridge..i know many in STL think it's the bastard step child of courses ( due to location only if you ask me) but it's a pretty cool course.  Rosie up top meets down under.  My friend Andy Majesky runs a league out there..Check it out!  I grew up about 10 minutes from the course location.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 01:21:26 AM »
QR is almost impossible to play after 3pm weekdays, and anytime weekends.  it's that busy.  The League is not a "mini" like KC has, but an 8 week doubles tournament. 

The club does close courses here, because most of the leagues are so full, they do take most of the course.  But, there's a mentality here that I still can't get used to, almost 4 years in.  And, the courses do not match in quality.  I could express a few more opinions, but I won't.  I do live here.

Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!