Author Topic: poison ivy  (Read 1885 times)

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
poison ivy
« on: June 03, 2006, 11:27:35 AM »
I met with Parks & Rec worker out at Prairie Center the other day.  There's a bumper crop of poison ivy, especially around number 16.  For those who are allergic cover your skin or keep your shots in the fairway.  We're going to be putting in a bumper crop of pin placements over the next month also.  Later-Bob Hayett

MOSPARKY

poison ivy
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 01:26:59 PM »
I read an article the other day about global warming.  It said that poison ivy is really thriving now and is getting more potency.  Burn that stuff out.  Be carefull if you do burn it. The smoke carries the toxins and can be very, very, bad.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
poison ivy
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 08:33:37 PM »
that's exactly the reason PI should NEVER be burned!  It's way too toxic to many people, and even those who aren't so allergic to it topically often will be affected if it's inhaled.  

NEVER burn PI!!!
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
global warming? burn it? toxic?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 11:01:18 PM »
Like I said, you don't have to worry about poison ivy much if you throw more accurate shots.  Parks and rec is going to try and remove some of the ivy, but there's so much they can't possibly get it all.  Hopefully this coming Winter will be bitterly cold and kill the stuff for next year.

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
poison ivy
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 12:59:34 PM »
you need to kill the root system and spray it with herbicides.  That is the only way to get rid of the ivy.  Burning it will not get rid of it in its entirity.  The best time to identify it, is in the fall with the leaves of red and kill it then.  The toxins are not as seepy duting this time frame as well.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

MOSPARKY

poison ivy
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 06:37:24 PM »
Just kidding on the burning!!  Jack is right.  Burning isn't a good solution to poison ivy, but if parks and rec would do some controlled burning in the bushes at all the parks it would help vegetation and replenish much needed nutrients.

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
poison ivy
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 09:18:15 AM »
Any updates on the additional pin placements on 16?
That one is killing me!!!  And what sadist designed that deep one on 15!
Holy Cr@p!  I thought I was at WyCo for a minute!
Just kidding, really like the new layout!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
    • View Profile
poison ivy
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 09:32:24 AM »
That would be me that pushed for the longer placement on 15...but it was also a collective agreement of several PC homies.

The plan for 16....well the long placement we put in, has to come out due to issues with the Parks & Rec, so we are planning on putting a long tee pad up the hill further....up near the cedar tree line.  Then a new pin placement to the left of the one that is there now.

Hopefully we can do some of this after the Holiday week, depending on worker availability.

I think the next pin that will be going in will be #14, they have ok'd a placement back in the woods along the dam....hope to have this playable before the Big "O" on Aug. 5th!
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
poison ivy
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 03:44:57 PM »
anyone for a round toinite 6/29, 530ish??

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
New pins etc.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 01:00:33 AM »
The deep pin on 15 kicks ass.  I love the narrow fairway that is mowed around it.  The deep grass all around it creates the perfect risk and reward.  There will be more pins eventually on a lot of different holes: #12, #14, #15, #16, #5, #8, #9, #10, #11.  Also expect both tee boxes on #8 to be moved sometime in the future.  The short pad (although I like it) is either surrounded by dirt when it's dry or mud when it rains.  The long pad is seldom used because of the narrow opening to get through the trees.  Also expect additional teepads in the future on #9, #15, #16, #17, and possibly on a few other holes.  When these changes occur perhaps we can get new tee signs with pictures or diagrams and hole distances etc.  My goal as course coordinator is to try and improve the course while making it safe at the same time.  We're fortuneate to have a good relationship with Olathe Parks and Rec.  If you happen to see any of them working out there thank them for doing a good job.