Author Topic: Trash Talkin'  (Read 2768 times)

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
Re: 20 Trash Bags later...
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:51:33 AM »
Carrying the bags back might be too much to ask for those far away holes. Maybe setting them next to the trash cans and having a car drive around to 3, 4(2&7 can be grabbed at the same time) 5, 6, 9. Holes 8, 10 and 11 can be brought to the closest road. Drive through 16, 15 and 14. 13 can just be brought down to the OB by 17's basket.

That's 1.5 hours for 2 people and should be far less with the help of league participants.

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
Ian and Peter, thanks for stepping up.

Sending a bags out with each card at league sounds like a great idea.  Distribute the effort and it becomes a minimal task.

I know we expect altruism, but what is the incentive?  Could we do a discount for next league?  Just a thought....

More what's in it for me attitude.  That's more disgusting than the overflowing garbage cans. :(

Tracy, seriously? That comment was ( sickening; offensive; revolting)?

Since it had gotten to the point it had, with all the league traffic and nobody stepping up at league (Ian and Peter, thanks for stepping up). I was looking for a creative way to incentivize (my own word) people to get this done.   

Just one more reason I typically don't post on the board very often.  Offer up other solutions and get jumped on for not supporting the club.
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
I know we expect altruism, but what is the incentive?  Could we do a discount for next league?  Just a thought....

In this particular case, the incentive would be... (and this is totally gonna blow you away so get ready)

...not having to look at an overflowing trash can. Take a moment and visualize that, if you would. :)
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »
i agree if we take responsibilty to keep our courses clean we should, <and bag issuance at leagues has been done in the past>, but as a club with enough money to provide signage - this may be a lot more informative and effective.
18 pads could equal 18 reminders< PACK OUT WHAT YOU PACK IN or DON'T LITTER IN THIS BEAUTIFUL PARK or YOU TAKE A DUMP - WIPE YOUR ASS or PLEASE DO NOT LITTER or TAKE YOUR TRASH OUT WITH YOU PLEASE or HELP KEEP OUR PARK LITTER-FREE >

also it would be kinda funny if this thread was called waterworks trash talk
espouse elucidation

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: Trash Talkin'
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
yes to that article, we should use effective wording on signage. you will always find the most garbage at the garbage can, and less cans will mean less garbage, and with appropriate signage zero cans should equal zero garbage.
espouse elucidation

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »

A fun little read on http://www.ryanhealy.com/effect-of-signs-incentives-on-littering/

Loved the part about smokers and cigarette butts. Too many smokers think it is ok to throw cigarette butts on the ground(many discers are bad about this), but most of those same people would not throw other trash on the ground. I am now a former smoker, and when I smoked on the course my butts were snubbed out and then went in my disc bag (yes it stinks, but it is YOUR stink) or a trash can. In my car I had one of those cup style ashtrays that really limits the stink in your car. While not as noticeable as other trash items, cigarette butts are trash and need to be properly disposed of.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »

A fun little read on http://www.ryanhealy.com/effect-of-signs-incentives-on-littering/

Loved the part about smokers and cigarette butts. Too many smokers think it is ok to throw cigarette butts on the ground(many discers are bad about this), but most of those same people would not throw other trash on the ground. I am now a former smoker, and when I smoked on the course my butts were snubbed out and then went in my disc bag (yes it stinks, but it is YOUR stink) or a trash can. In my car I had one of those cup style ashtrays that really limits the stink in your car. While not as noticeable as other trash items, cigarette butts are trash and need to be properly disposed of.

I don't believe in throwing my butts on the ground but then again I have been Military the past 8 years, be caught throwing a butt on the ground and you'll be police calling the whole section picking up after everyone. I just smash mine out and they go into my pocket until I get by a trash can. It's true though, you look on the ground at DGC and that's all you see is cig butts...

Maybe someone needs to say something if they see something, I know I am not afraid to say anything.
Where'd my disc go?
KCFDC #:  1472
PDGA#:  54955

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 02:22:29 PM »
As someone who plays Shawnee Mission often, I can say for a fact that less trash cans = more litter around the course. When me and Ian were around yesterday, we didn't see much trash that wasn't near trash cans. The occasional water bottle in the fairway, but mostly it was stuff around the trash cans which were overflowing.

I don't think removing trash cans would help at all, rather we just need a solution for taking out the trash on a regular basis.

kcfrisbee

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
I like the ideas coming out here.  Really, maybe we will try to have league directors pass out bags.  If it doesn't work, we can stop.  Ian, do you usually play Water Works?  Want to run this by Ted?

ian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »
I'll attend league this week and see what we can come up with.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »

No incentive. Our club sponsors the course so we should help take care of everything P&R doesn't do.

The ownership and partnerships within the park should be enough to warrant to take the steps needed to keep your course clean.  I can get you folks trash bags whenever you need them as well, so please don't buy them.  I am a believer in about ever 3rd hole needing a trash can Danger.  I have 6 of them at Cliff, and a few others along the roads to help the driver's.  Many were missing, so I just got them again from P&R, and many are down by the stage area for the LDO currently, but will be moved after the event to their perm home.  Close to the road does make it easier, and WW the hills are tough. 

Having people bring it up at the end of league is a good idea though, or at least putting them where they can be picked up quickly....thinking about #3, #7, #8 #14 & #15 in particular.  At any rate, the fact that you took time to do it, and got it done is a testament to your ownership and desire to leave the park cleaner than you got it.  Congrats on being one of the solution.  You are either part of the problem, or the solution.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 11:14:28 PM »
Can you put trash bags in the bottom of the cans? That way if someone wants to empty the can , thre is a fresh bag. If this has already been hashed out , never mind. I have seen trash on the courses and have not picked it up. After reading the article, it opened my eyes a little.
Oh well ,I'm new here so never mind

Mick
Who ever said it was easy ,never met me.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:10 AM »
No, its ok to be new, and its a good thing to notice that the city doesn't do it.  So thank you for paying attention!  I have put bags in the bottoms of can, but at times they are vile and nasty from a ripped bag, and then you need to use that one just to get the trash taken care of that is there now.

I love the idea of starting and finishing with bags.  highest score on the card has to take the trash to the curb!  That would have been me last night! :-[
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

ian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »
Jack, can you have some bags for me at Swope league on Tuesday? Not sure if you plan on attending, but I'm sure someone you know will that can hand them off to me. I bought some 55 gallon ones last week and only have 2 left. Thanks!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »
I will see if I can get them to just bring a box out at Swope on Tuesday then and leave them at the club house.  I am not for certain if I will be at league, but I will send a note out!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"