Author Topic: And the sandbagging continues  (Read 891 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
And the sandbagging continues
« on: August 15, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »
Being that I won't be able to play am worlds next year, I am making the trek to Emporia this weekend for the Dynamic Discs open; just so I can see what I'll be missing next year (I'm getting married the same weekend - no way I'm missing that!).  Anyway, I was looking through the field of those who are pre-registered and I saw something that baffled me. 

The last advanced tournament I played was the Kansas City Wide Open.  I've only played one tourney since, but I played Open and did somewhat decent.  I felt that taking a tie for second in the KCWO in the advanced field was good enough reason to move up and challenge myself a bit more...I digress...but, the individual who won the KCWO in advanced (by 8, yes 8 strokes) is still playing advanced this upcoming weekend.  I'm sure many of you know who I'm alluding to, but I did just a little quick digging...

5 first place finishes this year in advanced (4 second place finishes) & 14th in AM worlds.  I didn't look at the scoring differential in anything else, but the KCWO was a blowout.  977 rated, and I would assume he will probably win this weekend in the advanced field.  This doesn't affect me since I'm playing open, but I do feel a bit bad for those playing advanced.  I mean, come on.  I understand not wanting to cash before playing AM worlds next year IF it was going to be your first AM worlds or something to that effect.  But it won't be for him!!! I don't know, this is probably just a meaningless rant and feel free to mark as read and move on.  Again preaching to the choir here, but doesn't sandbagging just bug you too!?!?!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: And the sandbagging continues
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:11:57 PM »
It's all about your perspective.  I don't feel bad for those others playing in advanced, he will probably be their top competition.  So what, they will have to play well to beat him.   I played with him in the first round of the KCWO and he was very, very consistent.  He had all the skills and shots, but he didn't blow me away with his ability.  In fact, some of the teenagers from Texas threw shots that I thought were way more impressive but he knows how to score well and stay away from trouble.  Everyone has their own goals and maybe he hasn't met his yet.  This last ratings update, my rating jumped up to 971, one below your's Jordan, but I still haven't accomplished all that I want to yet as an Amateur  I haven't been playing tournaments all that long and still have a lot of improvement to make to reach my goals.  I'm sure people will start calling my bagger too.  But I want to play in the Am Worlds in Emporia and the US Amateur Disc Golf Championship at some point.  Plus, I would like to win the KCWO, do better at the GBO, and win A and B tier in Advanced. 

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
I completely understand everyone has different goals. I enjoyed playing with him, he is very good and incredibly consistent. Five wins and a top twenty at AM worlds would do it for me.

My rant was probably uncalled for. Just comes a point when you (in my opinion) would feel inclined to challenge yourself some more and make some dough instead of plastic. Guess it all boils down to what level you want to be at and how long you want to be there. Everyone is different.

Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:56:17 AM »
I don't think it was uncalled for, your just saying what you think.  I personally think if I had accomplished all that he has, I would move up too, which I think is what you were saying.  I think it would be good if PDGA had a Pro 2 division put in place.  Touring pros are definately in a different class vs. local pros. 

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
who cares what another player does?  jordan, if you want to be great, keep practicing and don't sweat the baggers.  you'll just keep passing them by!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »
who cares what another player does?  jordan, if you want to be great, keep practicing and don't sweat the baggers.  you'll just keep passing them by!

Says the biggest bagger of them all....

No seriously a 977 rated player probably doesn't need to play Open.  I personally feel that the 990+ are the only people that should be forced into the Pro world.  Now that being said if they were to play Open, their rating would be higher based simply on the fact that they would be playing with higher rated players, and the rating goes up. The flaw in the system.

TO each their own, and if you are not planning on doing this as a profession, then what harm is there?  Go beat 'em!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist Jack!

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 10:18:44 AM »
The problem is there is no real incentive for players to move up to pro unless they are exceptionally skilled and likely to begin cashing right away. The competition is tough, there are very little freebies or players packs, and it costs more to enter. If you are playing a big A-tier or Nt event the odds of a high finish are very slim. I'm not saying that the big guns don't have bad tourney's or rounds, but cracking the top 20 in those events pretty much requires shooting well above 1000 rated rounds every round.

Really the only incentive is pride and a drive to want to be the best for a day or weekend and not just the best in your division.

That being said, playing in the open division is not really that scary or difficult. I've watched climo miss a 20 footer. I've seen all kinds of mistakes made by pros. It's just limiting your mistakes and not letting it totally mind f#$% you when you do. That is really the key, keeping your bad rounds from being any where below 950.

If you feel pressure to move up even though you are not 100 percent sure of it i would say don't. It can be extremely frustrating to feel extra pressure to play perfect and then you don't, then you get pissed off, then you drop a 890 round in an NT event and want to throw all your discs in the garbage.

On the positive side of that, while i have experienced a lot of frustration there are reasons to push yourself against tougher competion. The standard answer is that you learn more from better players but it is more than that. Competing against and hanging with great players will do more for your confidence than anything. I didn't play all that well at the KCWO, but in the first round i had Climo in the rear view mirror all round til he just got me by 2 strokes at the end. Moments like that can fuel motivation and positive mojo more than any advanced tourney success can do.

I grew up and played a lot in oklahoma and there are a handful of 980 and above players who have been dominating the advanced ranks for years. I would just use that as extra motivation to beat those guys.

Just do whatever it takes to keep yourself motivated to improve and you guys will be fine. If winning some advanced tourneys and experiencing some success and the feeling of winning then do that. If you want to take a shot at hanging with someone with a proven track record then do that.

There are a lot of ways to the the top, do what works for you.
Cooter was here.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »
Man, this disc golf game is serious business to some people. :o
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 10:22:38 AM »

Everytime I see Mike Hyzer posted a comment, I just gotta read it. I love the sarcasm and quick wit HAHA I don't know much about sand bagging, since I am still Rec/INT division  :o
Where'd my disc go?
KCFDC #:  1472
PDGA#:  54955

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »

Everytime I see Mike Hyzer posted a comment, I just gotta read it. I love the sarcasm and quick wit HAHA I don't know much about sand bagging, since I am still Rec/INT division  :o

Please, don't encourage him.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »

Please, don't encourage him.

Please don't feed the animals folks, keep your hands and feet inside the ride until it comes to a complete stop.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:55:11 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

spnachio

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »
am 3 for life!

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »
I've played with Aaron Walther a few different times now and he's a pretty nice guy. He is at the upper level of the AM division indeed, but in a lot of other cities there are many people at his same level. Keep in mind Am Nats was going on the week after the KCWO which stops a lot of very talented AM players from trekking to KC for the tournament which meant an easier field. He mentioned after this year he will be moving up to Open. He can have an 980 rating and still play in AM until he decides to make the switch or cashes in Open.

Loomis

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »
I know Aaron. This is just his year. He worked hard to get to this point and I don't fault him for sticking it out until next year's worlds. Aaron wins a lot but he has come up short at all the majors this year so I can understand him sitting it out until he gets one. He's earned it. If someone wants to take it from him, they can. He's not Wiggins or Kinkel. He's not a pro waiting out the title, he's a true AM who just started to see the work pay off.

Besides, after you turn PRO, this AM sh1t is totally worthless. An AM win and a handful of poo have exactly the same value in my opinion.

Enjoy disc golf