Author Topic: An Ode to Maple Hill  (Read 493 times)

coops

An Ode to Maple Hill
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:47:50 PM »
This post is mis-titled, it should have been, more correctly, called An Ode to the disc golfers of Kansas City.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get out to play the Vibram, it was truly a wonderful and challenging experience. Special thanks to TanK, Drew, and Ian, who generously encouraged me going by buying plastic from me or just simply dropping me some airfare offset funds. To Ted and Bryan, whose videos helped prepare me before I arrived. To the ThrOlatheans for teaching me how to play disc golf and to compete at a high level. And an extra special thanks to Fred Smith for schlepping me around Leicester, showing me the finer points of Massachusetts sea food, and talking course strategy to help me prepare for each round.

Undoubtedly, we have some of the finest club members and people in the entire country. Without your support and encouragement, I wouldn't have even thought to try to get out to Maple Hill. Now I can't wait to (maybe) get back next year.

To abruptly change subjects, if anyone of you ever has a chance to get out and play Maple Hill, you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't take said opportunity. It is a fantastic course, full of challenge and strategy and the kind of decision that you don't have to make on many other courses. How often, on a 700+ foot hole do you think to yourself, "man, should I throw a midrange or a fairway driver to avoid the big mistake?" Probably not often enough. This course makes you play golf. It isn't a throwers course, it is a golfers course. You have to think your way around it and execute your decisions with accuracy and without trepidation. Every part of your game is put to the test, and for that, it is a must play.

So that is all the sappy stuff and the plug for Maple. Let's play some golf!

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: An Ode to Maple Hill
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:55:54 PM »
good shooting coop.  you made the cut, you got paid!  ;D

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »
Anytime Coop, I'm really happy you got to experience a truly heavenly place!!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Loomis

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:44:53 PM »
It was fun watching your progress on their live scoring thingy... Sadly, no video footage, but it was still worth it just to watch the live scoring.

coops

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »
I bet it got even more fun that fourth round  ;D

Something about throwing OB twice on a hole... and doing that twice in a round just isn't good for your score.

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »
Ha, I was watching the live scoring and saw the 7 on a par 3 and become sad.  :-[

Glad you enjoyed the trip! Can't wait to see the 2012 video! Probably won't be released until 2015 though... ha