Author Topic: League Tomorrow - New Pin Settings  (Read 1080 times)

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
League Tomorrow - New Pin Settings
« on: August 20, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
Some of you may have heard about this already, but 9 new pin settings have been put in at Shawnee Mission Park! All of these are longer, tougher pin settings, really legitimizing the course like it never has been before. In addition, the pins are now on a more regular movement cycle, so the course won't sit stagnant like it has the last couple of years. The only thing really left to do is find a way to get the rest of the locks open (some are still stuck).

Today I went out and moved a bunch of pins, many of them to their new longer pin settings. You all ought to come and play league tomorrow, the course is really looking good.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: League Tomorrow - New Pin Settings
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
I think that this applies to the situation out there....

Jamie, do you need anything to get #4 unlocked?

invert the lock.  fill up the lock with penetrating oil thru the keyhole.  try the key with very little force.  dont break the key inside the lock.  if doesnt work, let sit for 24 hrs then repeat.  a light tap with a small hammer on the bottom in the locking direction may speed the process.  make sure there is oil in the lock when performing this step.  2-3 days should do it.  if not, probably time for a new lock.  oiling all the locks on the course couple of times a yr will help deter this from happening.  not a bad investment of ~$3/yr/course in penetrating oil in my opinion.

THe light tap of the hammer really helps
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

stevet

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
Great work Peter!

Back to school night for me or I would be out there. 

-Steve

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:43:56 PM »
Sounds like WYCO.  Looking forward to it.  What's the distance now?
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

"Put lots of torque on the Anal-hyzer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
We're working on getting new measurements (and maps) made, but I would guess the maximum distance is probably 500-700 feet longer than before.  DGCR puts the distance at 6327 feet, I would guess the new longest possible setting would be close to 7000 feet.

Although, since Shawnee Mission park mostly is home to recreational players (beginners, families, etc), the course will usually be set in some kind of compromise between long and short.

The main problem was that the course has been stagnant over the last couple of years, few holes even had more than 1 pin placement, and those that did were rarely (if ever) moved. Now that each hole has 2-3 usable placements, we can move the course more often than before, on par with the other quality courses in the city (Rosedale, WW, Swope).

So anytime you play SMP, you can expect to see a good mix of short, middle, and long placements through out the course. It will never be set all short or all long. Play again in a couple of weeks? Thing should still be mixed well, but it will be a different mix than before.

On another note, I would like to thank Bill Maasen, Superintendent of all of the County's Parks and Golf Courses. He has been extremely eager to improve the course, and has put forth a lot of the County's time and money to make it the best it can be. All of us disc golfers want these courses to be as nice as possible, but it's always great when the local Parks Department shares our enthusiasm. He (and his son, Brett), play the course as much as anyone, so it's not surprising how excited they are to help.

If anyone has any more advice or thoughts about how the course can be improved (or about the newest additions), please let me know.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »
Adding you to the mix has been the best addition to the land!  Thanks for the support, desire and energy to take ownership.  Bill is an awesome ambassador to the sport for us out there, and it is great that you are all working towards the continual improvement of the land!

Kudos!!

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
I like that course because my rounds are consistent.  Yes, it's a rec course, but still a great place to work on your game and shots.  Don't underestimate the 45MPH wind sometimes found at the top of the peak.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

"Put lots of torque on the Anal-hyzer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »
Awesome work Peter! I'm going to have to get out and check the pinny pin pins.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »
Mowing has greatly improved out there over the last few years Tracy.  When it is short, it's attainable for most, but we really only have a few "Rec" courses in KC.  Yates and Blue Valley (KS) come to mind for me.  CA Trail really isn't marked well enough for me to feel that it is a true Rec course is the main issue there though in my mind.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 01:58:54 PM »
Yates is no gimme either folks. John and I put in some longer tee pads somewhat recently.
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 03:08:35 PM »
How more recreational can you get than CA trails? Pick a pin, play it from where you are.  Hole out then pick another pin, throw...etc. 'til you're all funned out.   :)

Agreed on that concept, and actually how probably many started, only with trees for us oldies!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
Rec Course? With the new pins, it is definitely not a rec course.

;)