Author Topic: question for a rookie....  (Read 1768 times)

wlsmoku

question for a rookie....
« on: June 10, 2006, 03:19:30 PM »
I just started playing about a month and a half ago. I am pretty inconsistant and have only played at swope and rosedale. at swope I am getting better (low 70's) but realize my accuracy is still not where it needs to be. Also I am prodominantly a right handed person, but for some reason I feel more comfortable driving with my left hand. this is the only thing I have ever done left handed too....it really confuses me why I do this left handed. I putt right handed and feel I am a little more accurate with my right, but just lack the strength to drive with it. how unusual is this? should I suck it up and play like this or am I crippling myself in the long run? I have found myself very addicted to this game already and I would hate to create bad habits so early.

currently driving with a Valkarie pro (150g)

thanks in advance for any replies

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
never underestimate the powers of the handicap
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 07:14:33 AM »
mls- that is odd, switching hands; but i think as you develop there's noway being able to throw a frisbee w/either hand will hurt you. it's just going to give you more shots. also there is a ton of frisbees out there and your just going to have to find what you like and buying plastic can be a very addicting aspect as well. especially since you throw w/both hands, you might be able to throw just about anything and have success. the courses around here have been setup longer than usual do to the wideopen this weekend so in a few weeks the holes all shouldn't be as deep. have fun.
putt, putt, give.

wlsmoku

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 08:31:13 AM »
man I know - i couldn't believe where some of the pin placements were at Swope lately :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

so it's not nessisarily a bad habit to throw either handed??

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 08:47:37 AM »
One of the best players in town is ambidextrous. CD Steiner. He won the pro master division at the Wide Open this weekend. Being able to throw with either hand should be considered a great advantage I would think.

Of course it might help to be a little taller than him.....     :lol:
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

convert

handedness
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 09:36:32 AM »
I am left handed, but throw discs right handed.  I find teeing off is a lot like swinging a bat and the whole body motion is more important than arm strength. I bat left handed and I try to mimic that shoulder and hip motion along with the stride when throwing.  Your case seems to be the reverse, but go with what comes natural.

wlsmoku

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 10:10:27 AM »
yeah I don't get it - I feel like a 4 yr old trying to throw a football when i throw right handed - I have no strength at all! I have been working on my approach and hips a lot more since I can only throw 260ft....I DEF need a lot of practice!!!!!! Like I said before, I am just trying to limit the bad habits I start off with. thanks for all the input everyone - it's nice having a forum like this to ask dumb questions :oops: