KCFDC Courses > Cliff Drive

Continual improvements-always use a helping hand

<< < (3/3)

Mike Hyzer:
I'll bet the Katy trail folks have a nice chunk of cash in their reserves. Perhaps they could be talked into donating to our tree fund.

I still think it's a crappy idea to have a bike/walk trail through there. Those cyclist homos can ride in the street with their spandex and sissy helmets while they debate whether or not Lance took the juice. We cannot play disc golf in the street, though.

Kevin Montgomery:

--- Quote from: Mike Hyzer on December 05, 2012, 10:39:35 AM ---I'll bet the Katy trail folks have a nice chunk of cash in their reserves. Perhaps they could be talked into donating to our tree fund.

Those cyclist homos can ride in the street with their spandex and sissy helmets while they debate whether or not Lance took the juice. We cannot play disc golf in the street, though.

--- End quote ---

Nice....   ::)

I live a block and a half from the KATY Trail in Sedalia. I bought a new Specialized to replace my aging Biachi just this past summer. I ride frequently. Clover Dell Disc Golf Course in Sedalia is right off the Trail so I ride out and throw a round and ride back home on a regular basis. I always wear a helmet because it's common sense to protect one's noggin. I also will occasionally wear some padded spandex shorts under my cargo shorts when embarking on a longer ride but don't do the whole spandex thing like more serious riders. But I prefer riding on the trail. On the street one has to contend with much bigger pieces of machinery.

Just for the record, I initially found the above quoted post offensive then after typing out my response considered the source....  so...    8) ::)

Mike Hyzer:
Thanks dude, yeah, I used to ride BMX and now ride a GF Big Sur that I got from Marshal. It's awesome, especially since I can take it anywhere and don't have to use some designated bicycle riding trail along with the spandex/helmet weenies. I figure if I sucked at riding a bicycle so much as to actually fall off of one, I'd find a new way to get my exercise. 8)

jack:
Mike's prose is never intended to be as bad as it seems, and I think that we all know that.  I am confident that we get to add pieces to the park that we hadn't thought of in the past.

Look at this as an extension of the park to incorporate parts of it that will be AWESOME in terms of exploring more of the park than we have, and also utilizing terrain that will make this course even better than imagined.  I am really stoked about the entire process in all honesty.  The more I think about the design changes and the chances to push for new parts, to create new holes is AWESOME

A bicycle trail that connects with the rest of the local/regional trails is a good thing, and one that will enable us to be a larger part of a more diverse park that in turn exposes our sport to many others that may not know if it, is a good thing.

Look, if we didn't have land to use and move the course around it would be one thing.  One of the biggest selling points that I have always maintained is our ability to adapt to the park and embrace changes to help the entire community.  The park isn't ours.  The park isn't a disc golf course.  It is public land and we get to enjoy our sport in it, and in return, we shouldn't have an entitlement mentality, but rather a community partnership piece that directs us all towards the notion that we are here collectively as a group to enjoy our sport. 

The ability to adapt our course to the changes within the park is something that I feel is important in those parks where we have land to make that happen.  We don't even really need to leave the area that we are currently using, we are just altering it and moving our "flight patterns" to accommodate another positive activity within the park, that will increase eyes within the park, and lead to less inappropriate activities, thus we all win, because our work will be enjoyed by many without the knowledge of our sweat and tears.  That's ok.  We are a part of the solution, and that is the most important part.  I look at this as a badge of honor in some respects, because of work, it is more desirable, and with that, we are advancing our work ethics to the people that are aware.

We need to be supportive of all aspects within the parks, and the realization that we are stewards of the park, and not the owners, as such we want to work towards the betterment for all to enjoy.  This will help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version