Author Topic: Continual improvements-always use a helping hand  (Read 943 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Continual improvements-always use a helping hand
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:52:30 AM »
Ok,

So Mr. Keizer has already started to expose the next new hole area as some may see on the pad area of current #18.  The plan is to make a hole through the woods after you finish current #17, the pad will be somewhere between the short pin and the corner where it makes sense initially, and possibly moving it to a deeper teeing area as we progress, more than likely having an alternate pad on this location.

If you have time and can help we will be needing it.  We will be removing a lot of the trash and honeysuckle out of this area and.....

To the North of the current BLACK practice basket we will be doing the same, but we will be working on 2 additional holes in this location.  I will go through probably next week and mark the trees that will be defining the fairway's on these two holes as well as the new one by #17.  Initially probably going to look at making this a 21 hole course for a little while, and we can evaluate where we go next.  I may look at a couple of other additions, and try to add 3 more to make this a 24 hole course, unless funding is approved for the additional course across Chestnut (which it very well may have some private funding that I am working on)

I do have a good idea of where to add an additional 3 holes, but the three discussed up here initially is probably where we shall start.

Please work with myself or Keizer on any removal of trees, removal of trash or honeysuckle though can be done at any time.

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Continual improvements-always use a helping hand
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »
I am just going at this little by little for now, removing honeysuckle along the road. It would be nice to get a workday organized on this. While the work isn't bad, it does suck a little to have to stop cutting in order to drag the stuff that's been cut across the road, so help on that would be awesome.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »
I will work with you on this in the future Mike.  I can't this weekend, because of the Tourney and Fantasy Football drafts, then next weekend I have the girls again (maybe the E Vs. W if I can make it) then TLC, then girls again, but then after that I can start to plan on the help that we need, and will start to orchestrate the event.  I will work towards getting machinery lined up to make our lives easier as well on this.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »
Played Cliff over the weekend and had a great time.  Curious what the status of the new holes / re-design is?  Any updates Jack?  Will is eventually be 21 holes or a redesign of the existing 18?

--Tom
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »
I am currently in the process of gaining approval on a new design of the course, that will change quite a bit of the course.  There is a trail being proposed through holes 7-8-9, and safety being my primary concern (you may have seen the markers on the course already) is leaning towards a redevelopment of the course.

Some of the items that I am hoping to help:
Elimination of the hole #17--This hole although grand and majestic at one point is flawed without the guardian tree that was by the short placement.  Compound that with the housing close by and incidents over time that have occurred during events, and casual play it makes sense to work away from that area.  As such, what I am leaning towards is moving the existing pad about 150'-200' towards the south and then play back towards the current #18.

Additional wooded holes-- "New holes #1 & #2"-I want to carve into the woods to the West of current #2 a couple of holes to play to start off.  They will be tighter holes, not real long, but tight enough to warrant a tough shot component where accuracy will be the key on them both.

New areas to be worked on within the park--I want to "expand" our footprint within the park area, and utilize portions of the park not being used now.  There are a couple of reasons, first, I think that we owe it to the park to make the trash issue around the course minimal in most areas, and we have done that in many parts already, and secondly because the park does have so many options, it is silly not to explore them all.  This is also a big part of the notion that I have always had of someone being able to view Chestnut from current # 11 tee.  Exposing all that land, and trees would enable us/others to enjoy the land that is there, this park is a beautiful park.  Having it all open for everyone will enable us to work towards less trash/illegal dumping within the park.

More Cliffs exposed--I think that there is a hole in the park that I have longed for, and it is a transition hole that should make even those disappointed with the removal of 7-8-9 as we know it, happy and proud.  It will be a part of the overall impression of the park for thousands to view, and in turn will also drive that awareness of our sport to those passing by.  I am so excited about this new hole that I am giddy, but am working on an egress to ensure that it flows properly.

There are a few pitfalls in my design ideas, and I have basically removed 3 holes, but will only leave 9 current holes in the configuration with the re-design.  It's sad that somethings need to change, but in some respect it is awesome, and flattering that the work that we have done over the past 12 years out there is now at a point that others want to enjoy it on a larger and more grander scale.  This trail is part of the connection trail that will get all the bike paths aligned to synch up, and is something needed to increase positive activity. 

The changes will start to move once I get everyone on board from the P&R to help the process along, and ensure it's success is done quickly and systematically.  I was very sad/angry at the initial thought about the trail, but then I started to envision a better course with more options and design quality to fix some the less than spectacular holes that are out there.  I feel that the design ideas that I am working on will enable this to happen, and also create holes that won't be as repetitive on the current back 9 that I feel are.  I am also taking into consideration that the trees that are out there will not always be there, and though we will be planting trees out there, coming up with designs that may minimize their need was important to me.  Thus utilizing the existing wooded areas that we look at, but may not use is something that I feel needs/must be explored.

This will leave me with a wonderful change of a course from what I already feel is solid, to a place that I feel will make us all even prouder to have.  Yet I will be sad that we will miss some holes that we all love.

The design group is looking at ways to alter the path, but I don't see it.  Only time will tell!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »
Oh sure, now that the land has been cleared, they wanna put a path through there. Why is there a need for designated walking/biking paths when there exists these things called streets and sidewalks? Gotta love these douchebags who'll get in their car and drive to a special walking path, when they could've just went for a walk around the block. ::)
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
Sounds like a great way to kill the LDO as we know it.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:55:10 PM »
Haters.....stop.

So this is a way to connect all the trails in Missouri and Kansas, this is the last leg that is needed to get started.  ( http://www.bikekatytrail.com/kansas-city.aspx ) It's a good thing.  No one is going to be using the trail from that part just to drive there, well except of course the folks down south, and you know who you are.

As for the LDO, it really shouldn't  This will actually make it so that we never have to alter the course for fear of having it impact the area.  We will still be close enough on the new design to hit it at the 1/2 way point, and then not have to worry about many other items.  Parking may be impacted, as there may no longer be the expansive reserve parking spots, but on a positive note we will be in a much better position to make it work for the bands now, and hopefully in a better slot to engage with an even more robust mini course for the LDO, including a possible "perm" set up now as well.

Let's take it one step at a time here, you haven't seen what I want to do.  None of you knew me when I wanted to put a course in here back in 2000, and I have a pretty good idea that this will all work out in a fabulous way for everyone to enjoy.    In my best Kurt Russell voice "Trust Me!"
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:01:02 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »
Losing 17 will surely be sad, though issues with the giant tree coming down and the houses to the right make it somewhat understandable.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
no doubt if we could raise money for one tree it should be planted on 17. even if we eventually lose the hole there, people would stop and admire a tree so magnificent and that was funded by disc golfers. losing 7/8/9 is better than incorporating a walking path into the course design, too olathean in ambience there. 18 things i like about cliff is the existing 18 holes, but i am anticipating some fun body parts and busted up atm's in the woods east of where the new 17 tree should be planted - just keep the fairways narrow enough that a 14 year old doesn't stash a hot SUV in there to burn it.
espouse elucidation

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »
I'll bet the Katy trail folks have a nice chunk of cash in their reserves. Perhaps they could be talked into donating to our tree fund.

I still think it's a crappy idea to have a bike/walk trail through there. Those cyclist homos can ride in the street with their spandex and sissy helmets while they debate whether or not Lance took the juice. We cannot play disc golf in the street, though.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »
I'll bet the Katy trail folks have a nice chunk of cash in their reserves. Perhaps they could be talked into donating to our tree fund.

Those cyclist homos can ride in the street with their spandex and sissy helmets while they debate whether or not Lance took the juice. We cannot play disc golf in the street, though.

Nice....   ::)

I live a block and a half from the KATY Trail in Sedalia. I bought a new Specialized to replace my aging Biachi just this past summer. I ride frequently. Clover Dell Disc Golf Course in Sedalia is right off the Trail so I ride out and throw a round and ride back home on a regular basis. I always wear a helmet because it's common sense to protect one's noggin. I also will occasionally wear some padded spandex shorts under my cargo shorts when embarking on a longer ride but don't do the whole spandex thing like more serious riders. But I prefer riding on the trail. On the street one has to contend with much bigger pieces of machinery.

Just for the record, I initially found the above quoted post offensive then after typing out my response considered the source....  so...    8) ::)
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »
Thanks dude, yeah, I used to ride BMX and now ride a GF Big Sur that I got from Marshal. It's awesome, especially since I can take it anywhere and don't have to use some designated bicycle riding trail along with the spandex/helmet weenies. I figure if I sucked at riding a bicycle so much as to actually fall off of one, I'd find a new way to get my exercise. 8)
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »
Mike's prose is never intended to be as bad as it seems, and I think that we all know that.  I am confident that we get to add pieces to the park that we hadn't thought of in the past.

Look at this as an extension of the park to incorporate parts of it that will be AWESOME in terms of exploring more of the park than we have, and also utilizing terrain that will make this course even better than imagined.  I am really stoked about the entire process in all honesty.  The more I think about the design changes and the chances to push for new parts, to create new holes is AWESOME

A bicycle trail that connects with the rest of the local/regional trails is a good thing, and one that will enable us to be a larger part of a more diverse park that in turn exposes our sport to many others that may not know if it, is a good thing.

Look, if we didn't have land to use and move the course around it would be one thing.  One of the biggest selling points that I have always maintained is our ability to adapt to the park and embrace changes to help the entire community.  The park isn't ours.  The park isn't a disc golf course.  It is public land and we get to enjoy our sport in it, and in return, we shouldn't have an entitlement mentality, but rather a community partnership piece that directs us all towards the notion that we are here collectively as a group to enjoy our sport. 

The ability to adapt our course to the changes within the park is something that I feel is important in those parks where we have land to make that happen.  We don't even really need to leave the area that we are currently using, we are just altering it and moving our "flight patterns" to accommodate another positive activity within the park, that will increase eyes within the park, and lead to less inappropriate activities, thus we all win, because our work will be enjoyed by many without the knowledge of our sweat and tears.  That's ok.  We are a part of the solution, and that is the most important part.  I look at this as a badge of honor in some respects, because of work, it is more desirable, and with that, we are advancing our work ethics to the people that are aware.

We need to be supportive of all aspects within the parks, and the realization that we are stewards of the park, and not the owners, as such we want to work towards the betterment for all to enjoy.  This will help.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"