Author Topic: Local to play with  (Read 717 times)

kutz167

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Local to play with
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:59:18 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm just trying to find someone that may be interested in meeting up and playing a couple rounds while I'm in Kansas City over Labor Day weekend.

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Local to play with
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »
Me and bnorris usually play Saturday afternoons, usually 36-54 holes.
Where'd my disc go?
KCFDC #:  1472
PDGA#:  54955

ptinkc

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://end-of-the-web.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 12:04:46 PM »
There is a tournament you can play in on Saturday. check out the Old Settlers Open thread.
Three discs' in the hand is better than twenty in the bag!

kutz167

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »

Where and when do you guys play? I am still deciding what I want to play. I definitely want to play water works again, though.

kutz167

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
There is a tournament you can play in on Saturday. check out the Old Settlers Open thread.

Thanks for the heads up. I might have to give it a try. Do you know how many rounds it will be? I didn't see that on the flyer.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »
2 rounds.  Multiple placements after the first round will be moved as well,k so it will be a different set up.  Something we are very fortunate to have here in KC, many of our placements have 2-3 locations and some have 4-5   ::)  .......so you can alter a course relatively easily, and it is vastly different than just another set of tee pads.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 02:34:47 PM »

Where and when do you guys play? I am still deciding what I want to play. I definitely want to play water works again, though.

We play WW, Swope, Rosedale Up and Down, Shawnee Mission Park, really any course we feel like on the day. Sometimes we play 36 holes, sometime 54...sometimes only 18, just depends on our mood.

913-704-9090, shoot me a text, let me know who it is and I will save it in my contacts so I can get ahold of you next time we go out...I have Friday-Monday off this weekend, so that is a lot of DG we can play.
Where'd my disc go?

Disciple

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 02:37:43 PM »
and it is vastly different than just another set of tee pads.

...which many KC area courses have also (Alternate tee pad)

New DU #1 long http://instagr.am/p/O7qKRHQxMC/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:02:16 PM by Disciple »
Student of the Disc
JHARV 171

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »
I wasn't a huge fan of Water Works first time I went out there. I actually swore I would never touch that course again. Since then I have been out twice and I actually love the course. If you want to play Water Works some night, let me know. I work weekdays, stupid Uncle Sam says I have too  :o, I am off around 5pm each day but I work on Fort Leavenworth, hence why leagues out going to be out of the question for me now  :( If you are going to play settler's open, we can link up out there. I will be buying my entry Friday morning, when I get paid.
Where'd my disc go?

kutz167

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »
and it is vastly different than just another set of tee pads.

...which many KC area courses have also (Alternate tee pad)

My home course back in Rapid City, SD has both multiple tees and pads. I think I'm probably going to do the tourney. I just have to decide what division I want to play in. What is average turnout for the different divisions at this tournament each year?

kutz167

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »
Alright, thanks Rick. I played water works when I passed through kc on my way to illinois in july and loved it. I am going to try and register for settlers open tonight after work. I an interested to try out some of the other courses but didn't really want to play them alone because of what I have heard about the neighborhoods they're in.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
Really all the courses are ok, the neighborhoods are perceptions in some instances that aren't as warranted as you would think.  The rule is to be cautious for certain around any stranger, but there haven't been (to date) any random act of violence on a disc golf course that wasn't instigated by a person to begin with.

That being said, almost all parks within the KC area will have some traffic on them in a relatively short time span.  You can go out and warm up, and generally speaking within 20-30 minutes someone will be arriving at the course, and most disc golfers are not going to say "no" when you say, I am new, and unsure of where to play, can I join.....at least I would hope not.  I have met many fine people throughout the country by loitering to play with someone "local" and typically had a good time.

There is of course the league play with over 10 a week, if you can make it, that would be the best option to ensure at a specified time that you will play with locals!

Enjoy your time here!

The event on Saturday should be pretty full.  Play a division that you feel comfortable with.  Do you remember what you shot at Water Works?  I would say if you shot 52-55 play advanced.  57-63 intermediate, and 65+ play Recreational.  If you shot under 52, you may want to consider "Pro" but that is a decision only you can make.  If you already have a PDGA rating, or have played in a PDGA event before, you may want to look at your round ratings to make that determination based on their guidelines.

Cheers!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

kutz167

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »
Thanks for the info, jack. I got my pdga membership this year but haven't been able to pay any sanctioned tournaments yet :(  I think since I have not been playing as much as I would like and have never seen the course I will probably do int like I did at south dakota state championships last year.

bdnorris112

• Am Poster
  • Every PUTT Every TIME
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm just trying to find someone that may be interested in meeting up and playing a couple rounds while I'm in Kansas City over Labor Day weekend.

Well it looks like rickrose has already volunteered us both but I thought I would let you know that you can come play with us. I am usually out at some course every night. I dont know what day you get here but just shoot me a call or text and let me know who it is. 816-351-0042. I am not very good but I do love to play and I like to play with new people. There are so many good courses around KC so just let me know and we will find one to play at.