Author Topic: Dave Feldberg Clinic on Driving sponsored by Dynamic Discs  (Read 3323 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Feldberg Clinic on Driving sponsored by Dynamic Discs
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 02:20:14 PM »
Look I get both sides here.  But realistically Disc Golf is not a big $$$$ for the pro's.  So if He asked to not have it filmed, I think that he has every right.  It is a "Free Clinic" it's not a free video.  Pony up some money to buy the video if you can't make the free one is all that he is saying.  You watch Colbert, the daily show, you pay cable to watch it, but the guest wants you to guy buy their book.  This is one better, you get a free lesson just by showing up, and then in turn if you want to get a professional done DVD or download, you have to buy it.

I also get the whole idea, well its a public park, they can't tell me what to do....yeah, you are correct, but the other option then is to move it to a store where you are charged for coming in, and then the "free portion" would be to move it to the park.  This is a good thing for Dave to give as he passes through, and to honor a request in order for 60 people to get something for free seems pretty simple to me.

He could have gone to Smithville with it, and charged everyone for parking! >:( ;D

Seriously though this is a current top playing pro giving away his time to 60 people not asking for a dime, but only asking that no video be taken.  If I was there, I would be thinking about my throwing style more than I would be worried about the video buttons at any rate as well.  So give him the request, and be grateful that he stepped up and helped some of the local talent get excited, and better!

Then ask how to pre-register for the video, and if there is a discount for paying early!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »
Hmm... Nah, I think I'll just wait for the illegal download version. Seriously, though, Dave has every right to tale that stance, I'm just doubting that Slim's video would have affected sales of Dave's video.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 02:51:16 PM »
I'm doubting Slim would've stayed still long enough for their to be good footage! ;D  He also may have broken into chorus and then getting the visuals from the crowd looking over would've been a hoot as well! ;D

My personal thought when I saw the request to film it though was, Why would I want to film it and not be thinking about my game?  If I was there, I would be thinking about my game, not if Dave was in focus, or audible, which is what I would be worrying about trying to tape it.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »
That being said, I do think that it would be cool to have a few photo's though of him engaged with the club members up at the park for us to use! ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
Sorry Jack, that would infringe on his upcoming calendar shoot.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
I guess. It's a public park, and none of the content Dave was sharing is copyrighted, patented, or otherwise trademarked. It's not like they were recording Dave's new video and slim comes by with camera recording the shoot. It's a clinic and I think anyone should be able to record if they want to. The video would be for private use. You cant go and sell what you've recorded (without permission from Dave, of course) Otherwise, photos are out of the question too. Oh, and while you're at it, don't go and share any tips that you've learned with any of your friends, that's sharing Dave's property.

Conversely, if I was filming, and Dave asked me to stop, I'd stop. But this is a forum and I'm raising my post count talking about valid arguments (boom beetches)

Also, don't get me started on piracy. It's a serious issue that seems to attract a lot of buzz from politicians that just want to put a band-aid over the situation. Make it worth it to buy your content, find a way to cut out the middle man, and start producing quality material then we can talk about piracy.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:19:36 PM by Utz »
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »
One day you'll be a 1000 rated poster.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 03:20:50 PM »
You're getting close Tracy.

Utz has a ways to go.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
Pretty solid Clinic, EVEN AS A 1000 RATED GOLFER, WORKING TOWARDS A 100 RATED POSTER, I like to hear other ways of teaching and believe it or not, there's a a few things that I forgot that has made my game a bit less consistent...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Fish

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »
I really enjoyed this yesterday.  Definitely learned a lot.

Not that I really care, but Dave was also charging people $40 for personal 1 on 1 lessons back behind the ball diamond between holes 8 and 9....
Nate Fishback

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2012, 08:44:02 PM »
Seriously....

Lets take an issue that's not a big deal (one person makes a reasonable request in a very civil manner, another agrees in a very civil manner).

Then a bunch of people who WEREN'T there start debating what is right. ( Nobody there gave a crap because they were listening intently to feldberg)

I believe that if somebody is devoting their time and energy for free, they have a reasonable right to set a few restrictions on that time. There was never any mention after that of a video for sale or option for lessons for money. So there were no alterior motives.

You guys want to get into an argument that bad start watching more politics. Then you can see 2 jackasses taking issues that are a big deal then argue over who is right much less what is right, and they and especially their supporters have serious financial investments in every possible outcome.

How about this.

Thanks Dave Feldberg.
We really appreciate your time and instruction here in KC, that was great.

OK,         SOAPBOX    <------- here

ME <----------- down here

Cooter was here.

fenton

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 09:32:45 PM »
I brought my gear up to shoot but no dice. It was a crammed lesson, I think the jump putt was most useful to me. It is his right not to consent to the release of footage. No one can stop you from shooting video. 

Self promotion or not, I'm sure it was beneficial to some.

EDIT: Would have been funny to shoot video then blur his identity and add an voice filter witness protection style.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:35:42 PM by fenton »

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 11:13:27 PM »
Wow, how to get (un)popular in 60 seconds.
"What a world, what a world" (Evil witch last words, Wizard of Oz)
Jack is right; I left early, and I was working on"It's Impossible/Somo Novios"
Getting Slimmer
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »
Lee, It's the Internet. If there wasn't any arguing of semantics, then it wouldn't be fun.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Lander

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »
Dave was nice enough to sell me his 1992 La Mirada Cup Barry Schultz putter.  -Thanks Dave
fLander

PDGA