Author Topic: grip question  (Read 1710 times)

Rader13

grip question
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:17:16 AM »
Ok, in an effort to improve my game I have been reading up on grip and technique.

In just about every article I have read they say that you "should" be using a power grip. I've tried power grip and it's very uncomfortable for me. I've got kinda small hands.

I have always used two grip - my forfinger and middle wrapped under, thumb on top.  Is this a viable grip to get my driving to a compeditive level? Or am I wasting my time/just have to suck it up and use a power grip?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
grip question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:00:02 AM »
You should use a grip that is comfortable for you and provides good support for the flight plate(disc).  I was told years ago that I "should" use the power grip and even helped spread the rumor.  When I switched to a more comfortable stacked/fan grip several years ago it made a big difference in my game.  The wider rims on current drivers makes the power grip less effective IMO.

I would try getting all 4 fingers under the rim though, the extra support will help stabilize the disc during your throw.

-Sean

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
grip question
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 11:48:26 AM »
I use the first two fingers for grip and the last two resting on the lip for stability.

superq

grip question
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 03:13:36 PM »
This is a subject that has gotten a lot of attention, the thing about grip is that there really is no right or wrong.  I started like a lot of people with my index finger out on the rim of the disc.  I was corrected and told that you need to have all of your digets under the rim, and since the power grip never felt right I too went to a stacked fan grip.  I can throw a disc fairly far down the fairway so I do not think that power is an issue with that grip, however recently I have been doing some modification in my game overall and I notice that when I drive the "rip point" of my grip is towards the tip of my index finger right where the knuckle bends.  The problem for me is that area is mostly bone and as the wing on discs gets wider they seem to get sharper and tear that part of my finger up, so I am transitioning to more of a power grip where the rip point is still on the index but in between the first knuckle and the second on the meat of my finger.

IMO the grip you use is not near as important as the pressure of the grip you use, and trying to keep it semi loose until the "hit"

my .02