Author Topic: FIRST RUN?  (Read 965 times)

Lander

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
FIRST RUN?
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
 What is the difference between a first run Z NUKE and the current Z NUKE today (besides the price)? or is the first run thing a bunch of b.s. ?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:16:21 PM by Lander »
fLander

PDGA

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: FIRST RUN?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:36:03 PM »
It's pretty much just a way to sound cool and knowledgeable on the disc golf course. For example, if you want to impress a noobie, you could say "The new Buzzzes just don't hold a line like the first-run Buzzzes did." At the very least, the noobie should come away believing that you are slightly more interesting than you were before you used the phrase.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »
It's pretty much just a way to sound cool and knowledgeable on the disc golf course. For example, if you want to impress a noobie, you could say "The new Buzzzes just don't hold a line like the first-run Buzzzes did." At the very least, the noobie should come away believing that you are slightly more interesting than you were before you used the phrase.

lol.  well said.
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You.

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:47:02 AM »
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »
I can't speak for the Nuke, but first run's are just that, the first edition printing of a disc, although at times the modification can be different from mold to mold, first run is generally considered to be more valuable, because they haven't been tweaked yet.

Valkyries are a prime examples of molds, 1st-5th mold all do different things from the CE line, so much so that you can see the differences when people sell them, and what they are used for.

I prefer the 1st run APX over the current model (titanic by DGA for those that don't think that it is still made) just as I prefer the QMS by millennium over the SMS or the Aurora MS prior to the Q plastic.  So you can find some runs that are better than others, and it becomes a personal choice (I really DISLIKE the swirl APX for example).

Discraft is in my mind much better at quality control, so that the tweaking is less noticeable than with Innova.  I think that Jay Rivard summed it best once to me, Innova is like Red Wine, you may have a few batches that go to vinegar, but you also end up with some fine wine (good discs), and Discraft is like White Wine, you know it works, it's typically consistent, and you don't see very many surprises.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »
Yeah some First runs are more desirable than current runs because of mold variance, but many are the exact same

1st Run Destroyers are very flat and much flippier than current runs, but mostly it doesn't matter.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »
I can't speak for the Nuke, but first run's are just that, the first edition printing of a disc, although at times the modification can be different from mold to mold, first run is generally considered to be more valuable, because they haven't been tweaked yet.

Valkyries are a prime examples of molds, 1st-5th mold all do different things from the CE line, so much so that you can see the differences when people sell them, and what they are used for.

I prefer the 1st run APX over the current model (titanic by DGA for those that don't think that it is still made) just as I prefer the QMS by millennium over the SMS or the Aurora MS prior to the Q plastic.  So you can find some runs that are better than others, and it becomes a personal choice (I really DISLIKE the swirl APX for example).

Discraft is in my mind much better at quality control, so that the tweaking is less noticeable than with Innova.  I think that Jay Rivard summed it best once to me, Innova is like Red Wine, you may have a few batches that go to vinegar, but you also end up with some fine wine (good discs), and Discraft is like White Wine, you know it works, it's typically consistent, and you don't see very many surprises.

See, if you get any more interesting than that, you'll be appearing in Dos Equis commercials.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:48:01 AM »
Discs are made for throwing, whether they say First Run on them or not.

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »
Discs are made for throwing, whether they say First Run on them or not.

Here's a big what-if!  What if you were a paraplegic (with no arms) who loved disc golf, and learned to throw with your feet.  Would it be considered throwing or kicking?

No paraplegic disc golfers were harmed in this what-if.   This is not targeting anyone.  Just a silly thought.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:32:01 PM by MedicineMan »
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You.

kevweiss

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 11:06:35 PM »
if u can find a dgwn magazine  number 76 from 2006 there is a story about father dave tayloe that says "dave had these big gnarley mutant looking toes, and it was amazing to watch him pick up a frisbie with them and fling it through the air. He later worked his official distance up to 137 feet ten inches. He tried to get it listed into the guinness book of records ,but the documentation came back with a nice note saying they had to draw the line somewhere , and that somewhere was right above Daves foot toss".......bummer .   unfortunately dave passed away august 1st 2005 from cardio-pulminary disease...he sounded like a cool dude.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »
if u can find a dgwn magazine  number 76 from 2006 there is a story about father dave tayloe that says "dave had these big gnarley mutant looking toes, and it was amazing to watch him pick up a frisbie with them and fling it through the air. He later worked his official distance up to 137 feet ten inches. He tried to get it listed into the guinness book of records ,but the documentation came back with a nice note saying they had to draw the line somewhere , and that somewhere was right above Daves foot toss".......bummer .   unfortunately dave passed away august 1st 2005 from cardio-pulminary disease...he sounded like a cool dude.

With some of the records GB lists, I'm surprised a record foot-toss with a frisbee isn't considered legitimate.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 10:39:22 PM »
I ran in to Dave Tayloe a few times on tour including here at the KCWO at least once. I'm not surprised he came up with the toe-toss and apparently, perfected it  8)
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."