Author Topic: One Div... uuuhhh... Two divisions!!! One cham... huh?, two champions??  (Read 669 times)

Loomis

Prepare to witness the continuing debacle and destruction of another holy disc golf institution. All for the sake of... um... why exactly do they do it this way again? I'm so confused. Was there not enough dull golf in the former structure that they felt they should add some? Does this "two divisions-two champions" logo sound better on a tee shirt?

Do the performance dots go off earlier than the competition dots? How much of a back up is this going to cause? Jack, Timko, Tank, Dick, Tracey, someone, please explain all of this to me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:08:52 PM by Loomis »

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: One Div... uuuhhh... Two divisions!!! One cham... huh?, two champions??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
It's a black eye that will heal in time I hope.  I don't know the reasons why, but I'm sure it's all about the Benjamins, or lack thereof.
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »
So it's no longer all performance based right? So no more 910 rated players winning the USDGC?

Last year was lame as hell.

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:19:50 AM »
... Dick, Tracey ...

lol you said Dick Tracey.  Just watch out for Flat Top.
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You.

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
USDGC .PDF

The estimated field size is 144. competitors split evenly into two flights of play; Open and Performance.

Open Flight participants will compete using raw scores. Performance Flight participants will compete using the Performance Scoring™ system provided by Disc Golf United™.
Each flight will consist of 72  players.

Peformance Flight
All Performance Flight candidates and participants must have a PDGA Player Rating of 875 or higher,
and must have a minimum of 12 PDGA Rated rounds between November 1, 2011 and October 1, 2012.

So, it's just a way to integrate AMs into the mix, IMO. It's an XM-tier event instead of just a "Major" --- whatever that means. Out of the 72 listed for "Performance Flight" only 3 contestants were over 1000 rating. I dont think there would be two champions for the USDGC, its just the same as saying "I won my xxxx Division at so and so tourney" Gets interest generated for the USDGC and probably brings the city/tourney in just a little more money. Entry to the Performance Flight is only $100 compared to $225..

The scoring is somewhat wonky, and lets just hope they never use only the performance scoring again. I believe the two types of scoring should always be split up.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:49:04 AM by Utz »
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

discgo

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »
Ams buy more plastic from the pro shop and throw more in the lake for the locals to fish out.

coops

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »
Opinions on this OB penalty?

I thought the scores were looking almost too good, but then I remembered this new rule and it all started to make a little more sense.

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »
I like the Distance penalty only. Its really cool for the USDGC given the conditions of Winthrop. I'm sure it really helps with pace of play and having spotters on every hole is certainly a benefit. The only downfall is, it allows for very high reward shots to be taken without risk; which may cater to some types of players specifically. Everyone gets the same rules so it evens out in the end eh?

It cuts down on the amount of shots thrown OB near the basket, then left for an easy putt for a circle 3 (or 4.) If you have a difficult upshot OB will not be bailing you out. You still have to eventually make that shot count. That's a neat portion of this.

Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
I think it sucks.

Having played it, it really is like the dentures were taken out.  It is already an artificial course with the mockery of ropes et all, and I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but then if you are going to go this way, why even bother with the ropes.  Make it simple then, there just isn't the punishment accordingly for "trying" a shot.  Takes so much away from the mental anguish that the course was there to begin with I thought/think...
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Its not a practice shot though, you're still losing a stroke. You don't get to mulligan and play the shot over again for free.. You just dont get the extra stroke penalty.

I think it's badass to watch and see all the great shots going on. It's really getting the best scores out of the field too.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »
It's not getting the best scores, it's getting the better chance scores....it takes away from the mental anguish so much, the thought of not needing to worry about adding 2 strokes on a shot is going to alter your decision every time.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »
i prefer the "usual" ob rule of last time in bounds or use of  drop zone. not a fan of handicapping either. so usdgc has a way smaller field, better coverage, and only one champion this year, any women playing?.....then i could accept two champions.
espouse elucidation