Author Topic: William Jewell Course  (Read 767 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
William Jewell Course
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
Did I miss something? There is a nine hole course at Jewell?
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: William Jewell Course
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:02:41 AM »
Yes. Two brothers, Graham and David Fox petitioned and worked very hard at their school to put in a 9 hole course. They hope to one day expand it to 18.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:42:10 PM »
Like it
Love it
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Dan Z.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:01:43 AM »
So exactly where on the campus is this new course? Ready to check it out.....
DZ

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
Re: William Jewell Course & others
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 04:25:10 AM »
I have a list of course within 1 hour including
Current KCFDC
Non KCFDC
Pending
Schools
Private
It is pushing 45
Kansas City Disc Golf Mecca
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 07:29:59 AM »
Take the main entrance into WJC and go until you get to the main Baseball field. Hole 1 starts uphill where the street veers left and goes uphill toward the dorms.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 08:06:05 AM »
Take the main entrance into WJC and go until you get to the main Baseball field. Hole 1 starts uphill where the street veers left and goes uphill toward the dorms.

Somebody kept a secret and has played it already!!!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:53:27 AM »
I designed the Tee Signs for the course. I have yet to play it with baskets in place but I have walked it multiple times.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »
I finally had the chance to play this 9 hole course yesterday and was surprisingly impressed.  It's not often that 9 hole courses impress me, but this one did.  I believe there was only one hole that required a full distance driver, but also only one hole that I threw putter off the tee.  These guys did a great job of using elevation and the obstacles that they had to work with.  Pin placements were great, although I'd like to see the "red" layout as I believe it was set in the "gold" layout when my brother and I played it.

Hole 1 - I believe the distance was only 270 feet, but required a full teebird to reach the pin.  This is an uphill shot that is for the most part blind.  It's a RHBH hyzer route where you almost have to throw some sort of hyzer flip shot to have a look at deuce.

Hole 2 - Longest hole on the course.  This is straight downhill, but you have to hit a 150 ft. tunnel shot before you hit the clearing towards the basket OR throw a massive anhyzer over the soccer field.  The wind didn't allow for the anny yesterday, so this hole wasn't a gimme three.

Hole 3 - Slight RHBH turnover shot that plays downhill as well.  There's a creekbed that has massive trees between you and the basket with only about a 15 foot clearing.  This required a full teebird turnover to have a look at deuce.  You could potentially throw a spike hyzer over the trees (of course I tried this route first), but the wind out of the south didn't allow it.

Hole 4 - Straight uphill and you have some trees roughly 25 feet in front of the teepad to throw around.  The trees remove the hyzer route, so you have to throw a flex shot up the hill or try and get a driver to keep turning all the way up the hill.  I was able to get a teebird and a Leo within about 20, so when I play this course again I'll probably resort to a distance driver at about 75%.  There's a street behind the basket, so don't blow by on your upshot if the basket isn't reachable.

Hole 5 - Straight downhill with the pin tucked down and to the right.  There's a large area of trees and brush hiding the pin so this is a blind shot.  You don't want to cut into the trees early either because it is thick.  You also don't want to go long and straight because you'll be sitting in a creekbed that is also thick.  I threw a forehand firebird and left myself a putt within the circle, but it was a tough little shot with a 15 mph tail.

Hole 6 - I'd say this is the shortest hole on the course.  You can't see the bucket from the tee because there's a 20'x20' bunch of trees in front of it.  You can throw a straight putter shot and have an uphill look at the basket, or you can throw a forehand around the trees to have a downhill look.  The forehand is dangerous because you have a street running through there as well if you don't get the flick to hyzer out.  Also, since it is slightly uphill, the anhyzer route is much more difficult that just throwing a forehand.

Hole 7 - Most straightforward hole on the course.  This basket is roughly 325-350 feet so throw a somewhat stable mid or fairway and you're there.  You either want to be short or long though because there is a creekbed right in front of the basket with some tallgrass that will make your disc disappear.  To the left of the basket is another 20'x20' bunch of trees that would make a putt inside the circle still pretty difficult.

Hole 8 - Another downhill shot that's pretty straightforward.  However, it almost forces you to throw a flex shot if you're a righty because there is a tree 40' in front of the teepad that blocks the hyzer route.  Once again, tall grass and creekbed in front of the basket so either clear it or lay up and take your three.  You don't want to hyzer out if you're going for the parkjob because there's a bunch of trees and brush about 20' to the left of the basket.  I'd say this is about the same distance as hole 7.

Hole 9 - You must take the trek all the way back up 8's fairway and past its teepad to reach 9's tee.  The flow here really confused me, but I guess they had decided they wanted hole 8 to be downhill instead of uphill.  Also, I'm sure they were concerned that the uphill shot might bring the baseball field into play?  Anyway, hole 9 is a slight uphill turnover that's only 250 or so feet.  There's brush and trees to the right, but nothing that can't be avoided with a semi-decent putter or mid drive. 

Overall I would say that I'm impressed with what they've done here.  Some holes could be improved, but they did a great job given the land they had to work with.  The trek between holes was a bit lengthy, but hey, it's good for the heart.  They've got the new Innova DISCatchers (I will say that they didn't spit any of my putts - but given the length of the course I didn't have anything outside of 10-15').  My brother and I played it twice; easily in under two hours.  Anybody going to WJ is lucky to have a solid course like this on their campus.  They are still gravel (kitty litter) tee pads, but only one of them was rough as far as footing was concerned.  All basket have flags as well.  I would say it is definitely worth the 40 minutes required for 9 holes if you're in the area.  Check it out!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

rockiesfan4ever

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 06:03:49 PM »
It's definitely a good course that they put together. I've played it religiously since it's been in there and while the post above me did a great job describing the course the alternate pin positions provide a real challenge. Definitely worth the time to go play, but bring some water.