Author Topic: Stadium construction alert - front 9 affected.  (Read 384 times)

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
Stadium construction alert - front 9 affected.
« on: January 13, 2016, 02:47:51 pm »
Ongoing construction of the football stadium has created new obstacles to play on the front nine holes. Particularly affected are hole 1, because the basket has been removed from its sleeve, hole 2, because there's a great muddy swath of tractor tracks across the tee area, hole 8, because there's an enormous pile of dirt in the fairway and men working in the immediate vicinity, and hole 9, because there's men working in the immediate vicinity.

(Click on any image thumbnail to see the larger version.) 

This is the view at the top of the hill on hole 1, looking towards the basket's usual location. (There is a metal post with a flag stuck into the basket sleeve, probably to prevent the tractor driver from crushing it. You can see it in the highlighted circle in the photo.) There is a great muddy swath where the tractor has been driving back and forth, transferring the gigantic pile of dirt to the disc-eating ravine which usually causes so much trouble on hole 1.

Here's a new hazard on hole 3 and 4. A very deep and nasty ravine opened up after the storms at the start of December, and the university has responded by filling the ravine with a jumble of concrete parking lot bumpers. If your disc goes down there, it's a goner. 

I'm glad they filled in the ravine and marked it with hazard tape. I had to rescue a dog after it had fallen into it, back in December. (Story here.)

This photo is taken from the fairway of hole 8, looking toward the basket (the highlighted circle at the center). As you can see, the great pile of dirt and muddy tractor tracks make this hole . . . somewhat of a challenge. I skipped it, because even though the workers were wearing hard hats, it still seemed imprudent to throw into a construction zone.  ;)
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860 -- unofficial women's champion 2015 KCFDC Championship

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Stadium construction alert - front 9 affected.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 01:30:38 pm »
UPDATE: The great mound of earth has been shoveled down the disc-eating gully. The basket for hole #1 is still missing.
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860 -- unofficial women's champion 2015 KCFDC Championship

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 01:59:29 pm »
UPDATE:  The basket for #1 is still missing, and its usual spot is marked with a metal pole with a rag for a flag. Construction at the adjacent football stadium is still ongoing. There is a very wide swath of churned and muddy bare ground across #1, #2, and especially #8. I don't expect that to improve until it dries out and new grass is planted, so, late spring at the soonest, I would imagine. 

Watch for the large fallen tree limbs around #7. They have been there for a few weeks now.

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:31:10 pm »
UPDATE: Everything is just the same as the last update, except the vast swath of muddy churned ground is now dry and irregular dirt instead of mud.

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 02:05:55 pm »
Update: Everything is exactly the same as before, except a further ten days' worth of foot traffic has transformed the irregular churned and chunky dirt into just plain old dirt. Also, two very large very dead trees in the area of holes 5, 6, and 7 have been marked with an X in bright orange paint. Are they marked for removal? I hope so. They keep shedding large and rotted limbs, and are a safety hazard.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:08:46 pm by Nova »