Author Topic: Top 18 holes in Kansas City, "KCFDC Gold"  (Read 1735 times)

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Top 18 holes in Kansas City, "KCFDC Gold"
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 02:49:31 PM »
I have lots of favorites around town, but I'm only gonna plug PC and Wyco in this discussion, well, except I do have to give hole 14 at WW a shout out.

Hole 12 right at PC is looking exceptional, and hole 15 on the pond has got to be on of the nicest looking views in town.

I agree with Doc on hole 14 at Wyco, but my fav out there is 7 in the original/middle position.

Too many great holes in town....my head just exploded.  ;D

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »
#4 at Cliff is considered the worst hole in Disc Golf by Matty O. fwiwwim
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »

wtf, why?

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »

wtf, why?

It's a crapshoot once you're past the first few trees.

And whatever Jack, uphill holes are blaaaaahhh, they have their place in the game, obviously, but you'll never convince me that throwing a disc uphill is fun.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
#7 swope is easy on the eyes.
#2 island down in olathe.
#14 original at rosie up top.
#10 at young park.
# 4 original at big blue valley.
#6 at cliff drive.
# 13 long right down under.
#11 beaver creek.
#16 blackthorne.
#15 woodhenge.
#1 long waterworks.
#17 long at wyco.
legacy and smp = no opinion
yates and fox hill NOT EVEN GOING THERE
espouse elucidation

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
#7 swope is easy on the eyes.
#2 island down in olathe.
#14 original at rosie up top.
#10 at young park.
# 4 original at big blue valley.
#6 at cliff drive.
# 13 long right down under.
#11 beaver creek.
#16 blackthorne.
#15 woodhenge.
#1 long waterworks.
#17 long at wyco.
legacy and smp = no opinion
yates and fox hill NOT EVEN GOING THERE

Oh come on, 7 at Yates is the best ace run mando hole in town!
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

BenC

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »
Swope gold #1, with the OB and double mandos, is more difficult than Water Works #1 long.  WW just has a better view.  There is no tie on difficulty on this so the view is not taken into consideration. As far as difficulty goes WW is probably behind Swope gold, Blue Springs long, Cliff, and possibly Down Under long pad.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:06:54 PM by BenC »

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
view and zero redundancy weighed that decision on ww #1, otherwise on technical merit young park would've had it.
espouse elucidation

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 04:31:55 PM »
tracy - i officially invite you to play the smithville disc golf complex to broaden your horizons.
espouse elucidation

BenC

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »
Are we talking gold as in fun to play, as in the marquee hole you look forward to throwing, or gold as in challenging and provides scoring separation? #3 at BV would be the most challenging, but far from the most fun. That hole sucks to play.

I prefer Gold as challenging holes,  esthetics as a tie breaker.  Just me though.

I'm with Tracy, its a difficulty level thing, with aesthetics being one of the final deciders. If a touring pro, or anyone else comes in from out of town and they want to know our top 18 holes; This would be the list for them!

Even Greg changed his mind in his last post.  If it is a difficulty thing WW #1 not on the list.  If it is a best #1 in KC; WW hands down.

Jaimee, Greg set it as KCFDC course but if it was KC metro courses Smithville would be well represented.

mpetrin

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 06:47:26 PM »
My level of play is not all that high, but would have to say #11 Down Under wih pin placement on the rocks to the right
Don't bug me, I'm trying to putt

Loomis

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »
My dream course - because it would be the biggest challenge and insure that no one feels safe on it, thus leveling the playing field for us all..

I am making this list under the assumption that Thornfield, Smithville and Jesse James are not available for consideration. Is that correct?

The Bogey Men Course.

1. Young Park Hole 1 long. There are very few tunnel shots with distance and OB in this town. As I understand it, only two touring PROS "three'd" it at the Wide Open. There is OB trouble. Lots of trees. The drive is tough and the upshot is well-guarded.

2. Wyco Hole Hole 12 long. Again, low ceiling tunnel shot. Most people forget to play the slight elevation change and come up worm burnin'! There is no real margin for error on this hole unless you play wide right. The upshot is easy to mess up and go long OB, or come up short and have a death putt into the wind. I know very few who can "three" it with any regularity. When I get the chance, I am going to run over the long pin placement with a truck to make sure I never have to play it again.

3. Blue Valley Hole 3 long. Water, elevation, and one of the most challenging approaches in disc golf, period. There are many theories on how to play it but I have yet to meet the person who has the answer. A "four" on this hole would be something to brag about.

4. Cliff Drive Hole 13 long. A great drive doesn't seem to help out that often. This upshot in space messes with your depth perception. It's a rare three. (BV hole 13 original long is similar)

5. Cliff Drive Hole 17. long "non-island." Again, the upshot is the killer. Most people go OB on their second or third shot with great regularity. Or they botch the putt and roll OB. I think most people (pros included) have had an "eight" on this hole more often than any other hole in KC.

6. Swope Hole 13 long from long pad. Most people shank this drive off the cliff, or they screw up their upshot. Upshots are almost always short because of the guardian tree leaving a death putt; or they go too long and they're putting from under a cliff. A common four for most people.

7. Prairie Center Hole 12 with Mando long. Your drive has to be perfect or you have no upshot at that small gap to the well protected basket. No upshot means a four. Before the wood holes went in, this was the hole that people would brag about getting a "three" on. No one has ever aced

8. Young Park Hole 12 long. Poke and pray hole with the hardest two-foot gap to poke in KC. And it's brutal if you miss that gap. I'm sure someone has probably aced it and taken a "six" on it. It's a regular bogey for most people on a 100(?) foot hole.

9. Blue Valley Hole 18 (original) Long. I have never ever seen it, nor have I ever heard of it being "three'd" by anyone.

11. Wyco Hole 13 island w/ OB bales long. If you haven't seen the trend here, bad upshots (not drives) are what seem to ruin most scorecards. Tough drive with OB. Tougher upshot (go for it or lay up?). Wind Putt. Hay bales which seem to be disc magnets.

12. Blue Valley Hole 6 Long. Every part of this (drive, upshot and putt) is tough. And you must be perfect on all three to get a three. It can be done, but it's not common.

13. Water Works Hole 1 Right. This is a hard drive. Just a bit outside the natural comfort zone for most right handed-non flickers, this drive is routinely under-thrown, making for an impossible upshot. The long placement, though very pretty and tough in its own right, sits in a natural hyzer position. So even if you miss, your disc heads to the left, so you still have a pretty decent look for a three. The placement at the top of the hill is a much harder to get to if you miss to the left or right. Either park it, or work for it. Easy roll away putt if you miss.

14. Water Works Hole 16 Right. Either park the drive, or waste a shot laying up. Easily the most gut wrenching putt to run from over twenty feet. Sooooo many OBs are made here. It should be an easy three but EGO is a b%tch.

15. Wyco Hole 4 Right. So many drives come up short because the topography is misleading. You think you crushed it but most of the time you come up short. Go too long and you can end up in the woods. This leaves a tough upshot to a basket, which, by the way, has lots of roll away potential. A regular four for most people.

16. Young Park Hole 15 Long. A tough uphill drive that has to carry far enough right to give you any chance at an upshot. Seeing the basket down that tiny tunnel only begs you to go for it. (Hole 2 has a similar tunnel but it's much easier to reach)

17. Rosedale Hole 10 long by the stairs. If your drive doesn't curve hard enough right, you have no chance at a three. Too hard right and your upshot is coming out of the woods. I realize that most of KC has figured this hole out from the hundreds of rounds they have played here, but playing it at the stairs is really rare. Why? Because of how long it takes people to find their missed putts and errant upshots in the woods behind the basket. Anyone seen Hummel lately? Nope. He's still down there looking for his Rhyno from last year.

18. Blue Valley Hole 9 Original. What a pain in the ass! A bad drive means absolutely no prayer whatsoever for a decent upshot. A bad upshot means a really frustrated and really ugly SECOND upshot. By the time you get to putt, your score is a seven. I know someone who got a 12 and there isn't any OB to speak of on this hole.

Loomis

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
Took out 10. Sorry.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 08:42:34 PM »
Awesome Hummel reference.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster