Author Topic: 2013 Kansas City Team Challenge - June 1-2, 2013  (Read 14979 times)

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Kansas City Team Challenge
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2013, 03:59:24 PM »
  • Active KCFDC club members and KC region residents.  (this is loosely enforced. it's basically in place to prevent bringing in ringers from outside the area.)
  • I thought about reducing the requirement for women to just 1, but decided that is lame. We just need to get the ladies excited about taking part in this fun event. So again for 2013, 2 women per squad is required.
  • I will be reducing the number of required masters aged players from 4 (in 2012) to just 3 this year.
  • Each captain gets a spot.
  • That means there will be 10 unrestricted spots on each team.
  • 3 starting spots on each team can be hand picked by their captain.
  • No lottery required for starting 16, but one lottery for an alternate spot must be used
  • Each team is recommended to carry 2-3 alternates.  Alternates can be used at will to start any round. (within class restrictions)

West Side qualifiers:
  • Final scores at the 2013 Kan-U-Wyco, 3 invitations will be offered for unrestricted players and 2 for Masters (40+). (declined invites will go to the next best score in that class).
  • Four invitations (2 unrestricted, 1 masters and 1 woman) will be offered for the top scores at Summer league mini at Prairie Center on April 22
  • Skills challenge as follows:  2 invitations awarded to best putting challenge scores and 2 invitations for best driving accuracy scores. I'll provide more details on the skills event later.  But it will be held on a Sun. afternoon, May 6th, on the warmup field at Rosey.
  • Alternates: one alt spot  will be determined by lottery of all qualifying event participants.  2 more hand picked from "next best" efforts at the qualifying events.
I will be doing the West side Captains picks and alternates selections at the conclusion of the skills qualifying event on May 6th.   

About the West side skills qualifying event:
Putting challenge - You'll have 3 minutes to attempt 3 putts from each of 6 locations.  Total made putts is your score. The players with the top 2 scores will get a spot on the team.
Note: Two attempts at the circuit per person. You can bring as many or as few putters as you want.  You can have a caddy help retrieve/clear discs.

Driving accuracy challenge - Contestants will make 3 throws at each of 3 basket locations (270', 320' and 370').  The closest lie to each pin will be measured. The total of those 4 measured distances will be your score. The 2 players with the shortest total distance will get a spot on the team.
Note: We'll do this in a rotation.  That is, each player will get their mark from location 1.  We'll seed throwing order by the first distance (longest first, shortest last), then throw at location 2.  For locations 3 we'll seed throwing order by combined distance of rounds 1 and 2.

I may try to earn a spot on this team.

I don't think there will be a weekly mini at PC on April 22.

Loomis

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »
In an effort to further stir the pot, Do I still qualify as an open player if I don't get one of the Masters spots?

coops

« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »
Open means open, not just anyone under 40.

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2013, 10:50:50 PM »
East side qualifiers??? I couldn't do this last year, but for sure I am down this year. Just waiting to hear from our Capt. Keck.

Loomis

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2013, 10:02:34 PM »
Will bribes help?

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »
Apparently Prairie Center summer league is no more.  ???   As such, no qualifier for West Team will be held there.   :( I will announce an alternative shortly.

I know of a Kansas side course where we could have qualifiers....

*hint hint*

Loomis

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
West Side will invade Mo. territory for our final qualifier on May 9th at Water Works summer league.
This stings.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
Apparently Prairie Center summer league is no more.  ???   As such, no qualifier for West Team will be held there.   :( I will announce an alternative shortly.

Because league is at Birdland....why not have the qualifier there???
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN, wherefore art thou?
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:43 AM »

Tracy,

The KCFDC Summer league in Olathe is commencing at the course two miles from Prairie Center. It's called Lakeside Hills (aka Birdland). The KCFDC league will most prpobably be there for the month of April, and then, depending on the majority of regulars' wishes either stay there or shift to PC.

The team qualifier could be at Birdland, but if you want to have it someplace else I don't really care. It does seem somewhat silly to have it someplace other than in Kansas (Olathe, SMP, Rosey, Wyco) to me, but do it however makes the most sense to ya.

coops

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2013, 02:17:55 PM »
It's Tracy's thing, he can do what he wants. He wants his team to be built upon certain skills that are closest to those displayed at WW.

I don't think anyone would disagree that WW and Lakeside require very different types of play.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
There WILL BE a Summer gathering weekly at PC....ON FRIDAY NIGHTS.  :P

Loomis

« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »
I still say that the East West Challenge should be done at Thornfield or at a temp course designed by non-combatants. Or, it could be done like the America's Cup and the tournament shifts to the state who won the last competition. As far as the qualifiers go; I would rather the try outs occur on the course which is being used in the competition. If we are using WYCO, then we should try out on WYCO.

Some day, Loose Park is going to have a great temp course put up which we can play for an hour before we get run out of the park. Some day.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »
Tracy,

I'm not burned out on PC. It is suffering from overuse and by keeping league away, I am saving some foot traffic there. Also, it's entirely possible the baskets will not be there while the City has them in the shop getting painted and re-furbished.

Also, the new course needs as much traffic as possible, to "beat it down" some and smooth out the fairways and the rough. It also is helping me see where boxes might be placed in better spots.

I'm not frustrated at all. It's yer deal and whatever you think makes sense is fine. As for holding league at PC on the date you "announced"on March 12, I did immediately reply that league would not be there that night. Sorry if your plans didn't work with mine.

I do agree with Daniel that the qualifiers should be played on the actual courses used in the event though.

I was the captian (and chose my team) of my 9th grade first semester PE class flag football team......we didn't lose ANY games.....just sayin.

Loomis

« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
What about the temp course idea? Would anyone be ready to compete on a course blind? That, I think, is the true measure of disc golf talent - the way someone plays a course without any knowledge of what to throw, where to throw, or how hard to throw it. To illustrate my point: Arturo's first round at USDGC back in 2008 (?) was his first round on the course and he didn't do well at all. However, he knew what he was doing the second round and tore it up. I think if we can tap into that "talent" level we would have a pretty good measure of the teams.

Or we could just play endurance golf where we start at 5 AM and just keep playing, non-stop, until there is only one player left standing. I like that idea too.