Author Topic: 2013 Kansas City Team Challenge - June 1-2, 2013  (Read 16479 times)

Loomis

Re: 2013 Kansas City Team Challenge
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
Hinck is right. He lucked out and won his match. And while the east side shines the light on "win," it's undenialable that the key phrase is "lucked out."

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2013, 07:18:51 PM »
Now you're just trolling.  ;D

OpIvy1

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »
Now who's to say that slim wouldn't have pulled some points too.  Automatically counting him as zero isn't nice at all!! 

(insert random trash here!!) 

Sorry!  I just wanted to feel like I was the part of the conversation!  See everyone Thursday!!

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
That's it, I'm moving to Iowa...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

OpIvy1

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »
That's it, I'm moving to Iowa...

Then it will turn into a tri-state battle! 

coops

« Reply #170 on: May 04, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
Now who's to say that slim wouldn't have pulled some points too.  Automatically counting him as zero isn't nice at all!! 

(insert random trash here!!) 

Sorry!  I just wanted to feel like I was the part of the conversation!  See everyone Thursday!!

A well-reasoned response.

I would certainly concur with that line of reasoning. The reason I discounted Slim wasn't because of his play it was two-fold: 1. I, personally, never found out why he wasn't there. It was very much easier for me to excuse the absence of Arturo who would have been there if not for work. 2. Arturo is a more highly rated player than Slim. Yes, Slim tears up many a course but on the whole Arturo tears them up more.

But I do concede, if Slim were there and Arturo were not it could/would have been even more lopsided a loss for our side.

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
I think we are forgetting one thing here too.  The West got out-captained as well.  Jake did a beautiful job with his matchups on the second day.

There's also something to be said about being over confident.  The West came in last year as the hands-down favorite to win.  It was predicted to be a massacre.  The East prepared well for the event and wanted the win more than the West.  We knew it was going to take our best effort to earn the win.  The West made the mistake of thinking they won before the event even started. 

In the end, it is our names who will forever remain just below the eagle on the trophy. Immortalized as the inaugural champions of a great yearly tradition.  The plaques won't read who the pre-challenge favorite was, only history will, and history will give future underdog teams the proof to show how little it means to be the clear cut favorite to win.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:27:36 PM by Flying J »
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

coops

« Reply #172 on: May 04, 2013, 09:40:23 PM »
Yeah, there's that too. Jake did great with the second round matchups but I think we still had enough talent to break through. Really my biggest error I think was in my own matchup. I was hesitant to put myself in one of the top 3 or 4 spots even though I should have been there. I think the matchup with Crowe would be a fun one this year, but last year and especially in that round it just wasn't an even fight. (He's gone up 10 points since October and it'll be even more than that when a couple low rounds drop at the year point).

All that being said I think I got some of the matchups I really wanted too. I loved Tank against Jordan since Rosedale is a putters course. I loved the top of the bracket Arturo against Jake game. I got the women the way I wanted them.

Probably the biggest thing I think I did wrong last year, too, was not knowing the East Side well enough. I basically only knew the guys who regularly played Open in tournaments. I didn't know how strong Eric Eastwood and Matt Perry (especially) were. I think that will be remedied this year. I'm also happy I won't have to make the picks. Though in another situation I would like my odds in picking something like this I don't think I can be objective enough about my own play and would rather not have to do it. Tracy will be a huge upgrade at captain this year.

It'll be a fun one.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 04, 2013, 10:55:53 PM »
All that being said I think I got some of the matchups I really wanted too. I loved Tank against Jordan since Rosedale is a putters course.

That course fits my eye worse than any course in the metro area...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2013, 06:57:59 AM »
There's also something to be said about being over confident.  The West Rocky Balboa came in last year as the hands-down favorite to win.  It was predicted to be a massacre.  The East Mr. T (Clubber Land) prepared well for the event and wanted the win more than the West Rocky.  We Mr. T knew itwas going to take our best effort to earn the win.  The West Rocky made the mistake of thinking they won before the event even started. 

Now let's see if the West can do to the East what Rocky did to Clubber Lang in the rematch......  ;D

I just wish I was a good enough player to get in this game. If I lived on the East side I would take Jack's place.  ;D

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2013, 07:43:27 AM »
Hinck is right. He lucked out and won his match. And while the east side shines the light on "win," it's undenialable that the key phrase is "lucked out."

Sounds like the Memphis/KU National Championship game. ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »
wow, must be very difficult to pronounce any word with the letter "w" when one is sobbing.
espouse elucidation

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2013, 08:44:59 AM »
Sounds like the Memphis/KU National Championship game. ;D
Peter's post was my favorite in the thread until this one.
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

Loomis

« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2013, 08:56:26 AM »
They don't call it "Mario's miracle" for nothing. Though the best basketball comparison of lesser talent winning a match over a vastly superior team would have to be any of the Mizzou victories over Kansas. There are a few to pick from and they are all equally shocking and unbelievable.

hartfoundation

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2013, 01:11:05 AM »
Put me in Coach!! I'm lovin this !!! Cliff , wyco !!  Bag tag,36 .   Hunting 01 tag!!!!!! Hart foundation  ready n pumped to compete! It would be an honor to be in the mix!! KH