KCFDC Courses > Shawnee Mission

Tourney

(1/3) > >>

coops:
Has there ever been a Tourney out there? (Excluding the Club Championships)

And, I've heard that the parks department there can be real sticks in the mud, but, and this is for anyone with direct experience of them, would they be amenable to allowing usage of some of the land near there for a few temp holes?

That land could make for some really cool temp holes.

Ken Franks:

--- Quote from: Cooper on October 24, 2012, 04:07:55 PM ---
That land could make for some really cool temp holes.

--- End quote ---

*LIKE*

Peter Bures:
I've talked to the Parks Director and he seems interested in working with DD in running a Sanctioned Event out there early next year, and DD seems to share the same interest.

As for the rest of the park and a temporary course, I'm pretty sure I could, within a week, set up very long very technical course with Par well over 60. I've spent so much time driving/wandering the course, imagining huge sloping fairways, giant oak trees, pins near the lake. Like, a slightly scaled down Winthrop Gold.

How much of that is pipe dream and how much is realistic? I'm not sure. I think there is a lot of potential for temporary holes in the park (which is enormous), but I don't know how much of that land would be available to us in the immediate future. The Parks Director is a disc golfer, and definitely on our side, so I think we could potentially get some extra land to use for a tournament. And depending on how an event like that does, I think there is possibility in the future to expand further and further into the park, even if only temporary events.

It's just such a nice park with perfect Disc Golf landscape, it'd be a shame to never get to use any of it.

coops:
Wanna get together sometime and walk through some ideas? I was thinking using the main course for a lot of it (with some alternate pin placements) and then bumping over towards that pond for 4-5 holes could make for some pretty challenging and good-looking golf.

And there's an island!

andyportwood:

--- Quote from: Tracy on October 25, 2012, 10:07:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: Cooper on October 25, 2012, 08:11:09 AM ---Wanna get together sometime and walk through some ideas? I was thinking using the main course for a lot of it (with some alternate pin placements) and then bumping over towards that pond for 4-5 holes could make for some pretty challenging and good-looking golf.

And there's an island!

--- End quote ---

That area across the street from 7/8 has some sweet possibilities.  The island in the pond could have two pins on it (it's shaped like a kidney bean, yes?  it's been several years since I wandered around over there.)  You could also put a few temp holes out to the south and west from hole 3 long.  Two sections of temp pins to add 9 holes would make a nice 27 hole tourney layout.

--- End quote ---

Love these ideas! Chris and I played there yesterday and we both stated how there needs to be more tournaments on that course and having a few added pins, especially on that island from 5's tee pad and then a temp pad from on or around the island back up to 5 long or either of 6's pins would be a fantastic challenge!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version