Author Topic: Tourney  (Read 1580 times)

coops

Tourney
« on: October 24, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »
Has there ever been a Tourney out there? (Excluding the Club Championships)

And, I've heard that the parks department there can be real sticks in the mud, but, and this is for anyone with direct experience of them, would they be amenable to allowing usage of some of the land near there for a few temp holes?

That land could make for some really cool temp holes.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tourney
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »

That land could make for some really cool temp holes.

*LIKE*
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:02:02 AM »
I've talked to the Parks Director and he seems interested in working with DD in running a Sanctioned Event out there early next year, and DD seems to share the same interest.

As for the rest of the park and a temporary course, I'm pretty sure I could, within a week, set up very long very technical course with Par well over 60. I've spent so much time driving/wandering the course, imagining huge sloping fairways, giant oak trees, pins near the lake. Like, a slightly scaled down Winthrop Gold.

How much of that is pipe dream and how much is realistic? I'm not sure. I think there is a lot of potential for temporary holes in the park (which is enormous), but I don't know how much of that land would be available to us in the immediate future. The Parks Director is a disc golfer, and definitely on our side, so I think we could potentially get some extra land to use for a tournament. And depending on how an event like that does, I think there is possibility in the future to expand further and further into the park, even if only temporary events.

It's just such a nice park with perfect Disc Golf landscape, it'd be a shame to never get to use any of it.

coops

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:11:09 AM »
Wanna get together sometime and walk through some ideas? I was thinking using the main course for a lot of it (with some alternate pin placements) and then bumping over towards that pond for 4-5 holes could make for some pretty challenging and good-looking golf.

And there's an island!

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:28:03 AM »
Wanna get together sometime and walk through some ideas? I was thinking using the main course for a lot of it (with some alternate pin placements) and then bumping over towards that pond for 4-5 holes could make for some pretty challenging and good-looking golf.

And there's an island!

That area across the street from 7/8 has some sweet possibilities.  The island in the pond could have two pins on it (it's shaped like a kidney bean, yes?  it's been several years since I wandered around over there.)  You could also put a few temp holes out to the south and west from hole 3 long.  Two sections of temp pins to add 9 holes would make a nice 27 hole tourney layout.

Love these ideas! Chris and I played there yesterday and we both stated how there needs to be more tournaments on that course and having a few added pins, especially on that island from 5's tee pad and then a temp pad from on or around the island back up to 5 long or either of 6's pins would be a fantastic challenge!  ;D
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »
I personally cant stand SMP  8)  :o
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:58:08 PM »
IN the past we were told pretty much not to even think about using land over by the pond across the street, but that we could look at the land to the East of it up to the road.

Now in that time there have been I believe 3 different directors overseeing the parks, and now that the course is more heavily used it could be looked upon as a different conversation with them.

The very first Wide Open used that area around the pond as the first course, I will see if I can find the map of it. 

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »

The TD from the event (or Co-TD) was kind enough to send me a fast copy without having to review my files at home for it.  THis is better than the "hand-drawing" one that I think that I had.

As you can tell the "island" was used then.  I am not a big advocate for "temp holes" during any event with the exception of trying to determine a course, or new possibilities.  If it is just to have it to say we did, it seems to be more effort than is needed IMHO, but this may be something that could be brought up to Bill about this desire and see if there is a possible change to the land usage that we may see.

I know that I have a personal map of another area (to the East of this course map) that I worked on to give a possible 18 hole layout, with the hope being that this initial course would be "smaller and more friendly to newbies", and in turn use this first course as a starter course to get people to go and visit our other locations as well.  It seems to be taking an approach of working to make it another course, which I think doesn't help our growth as much as it may. 

We should have places to play that are very "rec" friendly to get people to not feel frustration, and having options to make them tougher for certain level of play may make sense, we still don't want to alienate that newer player because every hole is over 300' and through the trees.

Possibly going with this map as an indication may be able to create that "smaller" location to have a course that is beginner friendly, and then groom the other course for more competitive play.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:59:17 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
Why not put in another 18 pin course altogether? 
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

"Put lots of torque on the Anal-hyzer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »

I do believe you nailed it...
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »

Lord knows the park is big enough. Big enough for 10 full courses, easily.

Like I said, we have good contacts in the Parks Department, hopefully something like that could be a possibility in the future.

Some people have thrown out the idea of using an area already near the course, and adding 9 holes. So that someone could still play the course as usual, or one could play an extended version of 27 holes if they wanted to.

coops

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
Possibly going with this map as an indication may be able to create that "smaller" location to have a course that is beginner friendly, and then groom the other course for more competitive play.

Do you mean using the current course as the 'competitive' course? It feels a lot like it is beginner friendly right now. (Though with some tweaking I think we could get it there).

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »

Do you mean using the current course as the 'competitive' course? It feels a lot like it is beginner friendly right now. (Though with some tweaking I think we could get it there).

I completely agree! I think the potential for this course is huge. Though, I think the majority of the park is a gold mine of disc golf potential.
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »

you should.  You are a much higher player than the "newbie" the course that is out there if in it's "short" setting could be considered slightly beginner friendly, but not as much as say Swope Short, or Rosedale short.  We need to make it that type of short availability to make it part of the welcome wagon for disc golf.  Lord knows that is a very popular destination.  So I think that it can be made into a longer course for more competitive play and then create a smaller very newbie friendly (thinking about 4400'-5000') that would make new folks think the sport is simple, yet those that want to expand can look beyond locally within the park, or go to one of our other courses.

All of this though is putting the cart in front of the horse at this point.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"