Author Topic: Grip Equipment presents The 31st Kansas City Wide Open-June 14-16 KCWideOpen.com  (Read 16560 times)

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
  • please stop talking while people are throwing
    • View Profile
Re: Grip Equipment presents The 31st Kansas City Wide Open-June 14-16 2013
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »
allow me to rephrase: being fully aware and appreciative that we don't all play at the same speed, rules notwithstanding, please consider scheduling the age rejected pro divisions with those of comparable  playing tempos.

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
allow me to rephrase: being fully aware and appreciative that we don't all play at the same speed, rules notwithstanding, please consider scheduling the age rejected pro divisions with those of comparable  playing tempos.

What other division has a similar pace of play?

Not trying to be rude, I'm just curious who you had in mind that would be a more comfortable match.

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 01:51:54 PM »
ummm... pros?
neither is rudeness my intent. last year 72 played nt, 37 masters plus played a tier. hopefully this year will be different. I've been playing disc golf awhile, never had waits like last year.
just asking why it's set up this way, haven't really gotten an answer. only have 20 years of golf left in me, guess I'll play open until the rest of the tour sees the light and starts doing things the kcwo way.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:39:54 PM by gleauzzzinier »

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »
ummm... pros?
neither is rudeness my intent. last year 72 played nt, 37 masters plus played nt. hopefully this year will be different. I've been playing disc golf awhile, never had waits like last year.
just asking why it's set up this way, haven't really gotten an answer. only have 20 years of golf left in me, guess I'll play open until the rest of the tour sees the light and starts doing things the kcwo way.

My thought would be that the Open Divisions (Men and Women) have enough registered such that there isn't room on the course for the Age-Protected Pro Divisions as well. But I'm not sure, that's just guessing on my part.

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 04:06:10 PM »
My thought would be that the Open Divisions (Men and Women) have enough registered such that there isn't room on the course for the Age-Protected Pro Divisions as well. But I'm not sure, that's just guessing on my part.

That's correct.

Technically, there were three KCWO tournaments last year; The NT, A tier (restricted Pro divisions and advanced) and B tier (all other Am divisions)

Right-o, there will be 3 KCWO's this year too...
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

dan howard

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
The Memorial had over 200, the Tx Natl's had 116, it obviously can be done but KCWO has chosen an alternate method.  This discussion has piqued my curiosity, why is there three tournaments instead of two.  Transparency is best, when I'm left to wonder about these things I always come up with sinister plots involving the PDGA and $$$$$.

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 10:33:33 PM »
Dan,

I'm sure there's some other folks in here that can answer that better. All I'm looking at are other NT's..

http://www.pdga.com/national-tour

The Vibram Open is the only other NT that offers only Pro Open and Pro Women (In just 1 tournament --- They have another tournament for AMs). I'm guessing it has to do with payout and field size? Entices amateurs to play a C-tier if they cant make the whole weekend of events? Scheduling may be easier?

We seem to always have a big Masters and above field..and we offer Int and Juniors....  good questions, Jack where are you?
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »

It's seems to be a trend to play as slow a round as possible in tournaments.  Pick up the pace folks.  It has far less to do with pre-throw routine than it does with so many people walking the course like they are helping their 105 year old grandma around.  This isn't casual rounds people.  Slow play, which includes moving from shot to shot and green to tee, is a violation of the rules.  Refer to the competition manual, which you got in your PDGA packet.:

I completely agree Tracy.  I like to play a round in 70-90 minutes, so playing a tournament round that's 3+ hours (and sometimes 4+ hours) can be absolutely brutal.  While I understand there's going to be slower play in tournaments, especially  in full tournaments with a variety of skill levels, the duration of many rounds seems to border on the extreme. 

Given that it only takes one slow group to hold up several behind them, I would love to see tournament officials discuss speed of play in the players meeting.  Let everyone know that if a group comes up on a hole 15 minutes behind the group in front of them, and an official is present, they'll be receiving a warning.  If they don't speed it up, stroke em!  Addressing this proactively before rounds would help set the tone, since I would imagine warnings and strokes for pace of play are very rare.  Additionally, I believe quicker rounds would add to the overall enjoyment of an event like the KCWO, as it would allow more time at the end of the day to enjoy various other KCWO activities, instead of just wanting to go home after 7 hours of competition over two rounds. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:36:54 PM by thankyoupeter »

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2013, 08:04:09 AM »
While I despise long rounds like anyone else, expecting 18 holes in less than 2 hours during a tournament is not realistic.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Loomis

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »
I always just assume that a competitive round is going to take an average of three hours. The exceptions being longer courses which can take longer; and shorter courses - or tournaments with small turn outs - which can make the round shorter. But on average, I think 3 hours is about average in my experience. Unless CD is on the card... Then all bets are off. LOL

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »
I always just assume that a competitive round is going to take an average of three hours. The exceptions being longer courses which can take longer; and shorter courses - or tournaments with small turn outs - which can make the round shorter. But on average, I think 3 hours is about average in my experience. Unless CD is on the card... Then all bets are off. LOL

Or Stiles for that matter, and he started this damn off topic thread.  ;)

There will not be as many rounds this year, so as long as we keep it moving on the course, all should be good and kosher. Swope Gold is very long course and very challenging. It is no BV, but it is way tougher than WW and Rose, so I guess it takes longer to play. I also like to promote fitness and stamina, but I get it. Play faster and we won't be as tired or out of rhythm on the course.

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »
then I'll ask again without trying to be pc: why are age rejected pros not part of the kcwo nt?

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »
Stiles: You're going to have to get the answer from Jack-a-Lowe. After all he is the TD.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
The nature of the NT is to showcase the top Men and Women in our sport. So Masters isn't apart of that equation. Is this that big of a deal? You now have less money going toward the PDGA and more going toward your field.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Loomis

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »
The Masters Cup is an NT. That's all Masters players.