Author Topic: Grip Equipment presents The 31st Kansas City Wide Open-June 14-16 KCWideOpen.com  (Read 19017 times)

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Grip Equipment presents The 31st Kansas City Wide Open-June 14-16 2013
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »
This Masters Cup?

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/99309

Weird. I see some young guys signed up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:54:54 PM by dickthediscparker »
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
  • please stop talking while people are throwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2013, 09:15:05 PM »
The nature of the NT is to showcase the top Men and Women in our sport. So Masters isn't apart of that equation. Is this that big of a deal? You now have less money going toward the PDGA and more going toward your field.
if it was about the money this old dog wouldn't still be chasing plastic. same goes for a lot of mpm and mpg players I'm guessing.
apparently no one else cares so it must not be even a miniscule deal. just asking why. if you don't have the answer feel free not to be offended or post.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:51:51 PM by gleauzzzinier »

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
The nature of the NT is to showcase the top Men and Women in our sport. So Masters isn't apart of that equation. Is this that big of a deal? You now have less money going toward the PDGA and more going toward your field.
if it was about the money this old dog wouldn't still be chasing plastic. same goes for a lot of mpm and mpg players I'm guessing.
appardently no one else cares so it must not be even a miniscule deal. just asking why. if you don't have the answer feel free not to be offended or post.

I just told you the answer. I'm not offended.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »
ok I get it. kcwo and vibram are the showcase events. and thanks for the clarification about top players. hope hemme, convers, arthur, arturo, et al get a clue soon.
you want something to grow be careful how much you prune it back

Loomis

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2013, 07:41:05 AM »
The "NT" stands for Never Trite.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2013, 12:27:39 PM »
Stiles,

The NT is to showcase the Pro Men and Women, as such the NT side of the event is only open to competitors playing in the MPO and FPO divisions.

All other divisions are in the A-Tier from the professional and advanced pools wich will be switching locations. 

The NT side will be limited to 72 and the other fields as well unless there is enough demand.

It has been this way for some time in KC and many other NT's.  As for the Master's Cup event being an NT the pro side is and the Am side is a different weekend.  Only one course is used for the event, all tee times.....

The reasoning for this to keep the pools along these lines is because it keeps the pools playing the same field during the same conditions.  So you would want to eliminate the women and put in age protected pro's instead?  Not a way to showcase the top players. 

Speed of play is an issue and as a TD I have more than once informed groups that they need to speed up accordingly (CD can attest to this during Worlds at BV I did so, and he proceeded to miss the putt, I felt bad.....but it was a long back up).  You cannot have the desire to play like an open player yet not play in the open field.  You have a decision to make, and the decision lies within yourself to make that call.  Just as last year with Phil Arthur not getting the USDGC spot because the "A" tier isn't a qualifier, only the NT is.  These are decisions that you as a player can only make.

The logic is that we want to keep the divisions as closely aligned as we can, so the MPM and MM1 (pro and advanced Masters) will be playing the same courses, where the MA1 (Adv Men) will probably be playing their own field based on size.

The 3 pools will be this way to help keep the grouping alike, if you don't like the speed of play with your peers, let them know.....

As for the C-Tier, the third one day event is for Non-PDGA members the chance to play on courses used for the Wide Open and not being "forced" to join the PDGA, but pay the daily fee.  It is really for Intermediate/Jr/Rec players.....  This should enable locals or guests traveling a chance to play here in KC and enjoy the event albeit for one day, and still participate accordingly.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:58:35 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »
got it. thanks. that clears it all up. let the showcasing begin!

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »
......the show's about to start - stiles in a showcase, didn't ELP warn us when they sang :"behind this pane of glass is a real pain-in-the-ass, be careful as you pass - move along move along"
espouse elucidation

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2013, 01:49:51 PM »
......the show's about to start - stiles in a showcase, didn't ELP warn us when they sang :"behind this pane of glass is a real pain-in-the-ass, be careful as you pass - move along move along"

I almost named my son Emerson Lake Portwood but my wife wouldn't go for it...  ???
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:56:42 PM by andyportwood »
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

kselrod

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
Jack,

Any ideas on when and what divisions will play what courses yet?  Just trying to decide if I want to pay the extra cash to play Adv Masters or take it easy and play Int and spend my extra time just hanging out watching the Open divisions.

Kevin

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »
All Division will play the same courses:
Blue Valley-long
Swope Gold 2013
Rosedale
Water Works

The INT will only play WW and Rosedale on Saturday.  The order and format are not complete yet, but all divisions in the NT and A tier will be playing these courses.

Hope that this helps.

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »
All Division will play the same courses:
Blue Valley-long
Swope Gold 2013
Rosedale
Water Works

The INT will only play WW and Rosedale on Saturday.  The order and format are not complete yet, but all divisions in the NT and A tier will be playing these courses.

Hope that this helps.

Thanks,

Jack

Sure does!!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »
Disc Golf Rate  $72.00

Ramada Kansas City Hotel & Conference Center
1601 N. Universal Avenue
Kansas City, MO  64120
www.ramada.com

Host hotel information, please direct people to this, we really want to use the hotel well this year!  The price is about as discounted as I could get.  Rosie is the furthest away, as it is about 20 min, all the rest are less than 15 to the courses.

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

JohnnyD

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »
"As for the C-Tier, the third one day event is for Non-PDGA members the chance to play on courses used for the Wide Open and not being "forced" to join the PDGA, but pay the daily fee.  It is really for Intermediate/Jr/Rec players.....  This should enable locals or guests traveling a chance to play here in KC and enjoy the event albeit for one day, and still participate accordingly."

I would like to voice the opinion of myself and some of the newer players. To clarify, novice, rec, and intermediate will only be playing two rounds/one day this year? If so thats kind of a bummer. Im a newer player and have only played four tournies. My first being the wide open last year. In retrospect the allure and the fond memories are from experiencing the 'big tournement feel'. This being the events leading up and during rounds, the amount of people, pros present, AND most importantly the chance to play a tourny in excess of two rounds/one day. Two rounds/one day drastically takes away from the appeal and unique format that comprise a big tourny. How would the pros/advanced etc players feel if the kcwo was suddenly changed to a two round/one day event?
Is this really being done due to speed of play? I played novice last year and honestly dont recall anyone waiting on us to finish holes to tee off. If i remember correctly novice, rec and intermediate were grouped together and played separate courses on separate days/times than everyone else.....
I was really looking forward to playing in the wide open this year untill i saw some of the posts regarding the revised format. Its been condensed into a 'regular' tournament for us newer/less skilled players to accomidate the better players and perhaps make arranging a tournament easier..... I personally dont have the resources to travel hours to play in another big event to replicate the feeling of a big tourny.
correct me if im wrong but we try to introduce as many people to our sport and give them incentive to stay with the sport to watch it grow. this change in format only makes us/them feel slighted.
JohnnyD

I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see that you are unarmed.
    William Shakespear

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
Conversely, I heard plenty of chatter whilst playing the 2012 KCWO C-tier, that the 2 day, 3 round schedule was too much. Its hard to please everyone.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831