Author Topic: Grip Equipment presents The 31st Kansas City Wide Open-June 14-16 KCWideOpen.com  (Read 16543 times)

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile

Really cool pic.
Feel free to resize it.
Feel free to shoot me a message telling me how to resize it.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Loomis

Once again.... perhaps some people need lessons in weather and tournament management. Don't wait until the last second to call a round due to bad weather.

I find it interesting that the person that had to make the decision has heard negative comments on the timing of the call from exactly one person so far. While this person that was tasked with making the decision freely admits he feels he should have called it five minutes sooner. But certainly not thirty minutes sooner as one person suggested. It's a tough call and a stressful situation that everyone would prefer not to find themselves in. Your comments are of course most certainly welcome and will definitely be taken to heart.

The person is me. Just say it. And the issue was brought up by more than a few people. As the course cordinator it's your call to make, and the 30 minute delay in making the call was wrong. You see lightning, you have to pull the players. Period. You don't wait until the last second. The entire reason for assistant TD's is so you can make these calls when they're missing. No one complains because no one generally complains about these things. Many issues go unreported and unmentioned. This one could have gotten someone hurt and then you could have taken THAT to heart.

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
I feel that Chappy called the Adv. @ Rosedale in perfect time. The storm rolled in so quick..
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
I feel that Chappy called the Adv. @ Rosedale in perfect time. The storm rolled in so quick..
I agree, my card was able to get to our cars before the rain came and before I remember seeing any lightning.
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Hindsight is 20/20 dude. As you can probably see, it isn't easy running a giant event like a NT. maybe run it next year, don't play a Jack Lowe event ever again, find something positive to say, or shut the hell up.
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

Aaron

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
My card was on hole 8 and had no chance in hell of making it back dry when it was called. But then again I didn't care, just part of the experience. Great event, thanks to everybody who put on the event and volunteered.
Love me some chains!

Loomis

Hindsight is 20/20 dude. As you can probably see, it isn't easy running a giant event like a NT. maybe run it next year, don't play a Jack Lowe event ever again, find something positive to say, or shut the hell up.

Wake up numb nuts! I wasn't talking to you or about jack. Pick up the pace. This issue involves Kevin. And either you're not an avid reader or maybe you're slow witted, I made the first complimentary comments about the event. The reaction on record does not constitute the rather trite and over-played statement of "hey, you run it then." Jack did a lot of things great and he %$#@ed up some things. That happens. THIS issue is for Kevin and his lack of action when it was required of him. Safety first.

Now go back to sleep.

coops

I will agree with Loomis, generally, though refrain from commenting on this particular instance since I wasn't there.

Safety has to be paramount. Calling a delay is never easy but it is much easier and better than a lightning strike. I feel at some events that I've been at the call has been retarded for one reason or another but when a possible event has such a magnitude a delay cannot be tolerated.

Again, I'm generally agreeing with Loomis but not talking about this instance since I wasn't there.

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I was at Rosedale on Saturday, and think he called it at the perfect time.

The first lightning I saw was less than 5 minutes before the rain, and it was far enough away to not even be heard at all. In less then 10 minutes the weather went from beautiful and sunny to 40mph winds and pouring rain.

There would have been no way to call it any sooner. Period.

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I was spotting at hole 4 at WW on Saturday.  When the warning siren went off, I was like, 'really?  it's not even raining dude'.  As I was walking up the hill on hole 7 and looked back at downtown, it became more like, 'WTF!'  I was amazed at how fast it came in.  It would have been a tuff call.  I'm glad I didn't have to make it.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Loomis

Swope had a different set of circumstances.

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Then send Kevin a PM and don't post on a public forum for us to react too and comment on. Or do I need to be on this forum for another 8 years to understand that?  Guess I will just go to bed now and let you and cooper argue who's gonna catch and who's gonna pitch tonight. 
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

coops

Then send Kevin a PM and don't post on a public forum for us to react too and comment on. Or do I need to be on this forum for another 8 years to understand that?  Guess I will just go to bed now and let you and cooper argue who's gonna catch and who's gonna pitch tonight.

Out of line. I don't even know who you are so I'm not sure what your problem is but this is a discussion about safety.

Everyone will agree that this decision is hard and is one that not everyone will ever be happy with. I think everyone will agree, however, that discussion and improvement is indeed meritorious.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
I really don't have anything further to add and don't feel I need to defend my actions as I've already stated my position. If others felt they were in danger and are unhappy with how things turned out they certainly didn't voice those concerns to me at the time or after the fact. But your point is well taken Loomis. I completely understand where you are coming from and if this situation happens to me in the future your comments will no doubt be valuable information for myself and others to draw upon.

Oh, and the word we were trying to think of the other day when I was talking to you is astraphobia. I don't say that to be facetious, I just remembered our conversation and was curious.

I think we'd all be a lot better off if the club simply purchased a couple of these for just such situations and I sincerely wish I had had one Saturday.

http://www.scientificsales.com/P5-2-Skyscan-Lightning-Detector-p/p5-2.htm
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:22:32 PM by Kevin Montgomery »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

coops

This is a great suggestion Kevin. Thanks for not resulting to homophobic slurs to make a point.

I'm actually surprised there aren't requirements in the PDGA manual to use these things. I know they would be expensive for every TD to have but they are also prevalent. I know many schools are required to have them for activities and I'm sure for a rental fee and some form of collateral when they are unused they could be acquired.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:29:14 PM by Cooper »