Author Topic: Grip Equipment presents The 31st Kansas City Wide Open-June 14-16 KCWideOpen.com  (Read 16546 times)

Loomis

Well done to the KCFDC and all the volunteers to make the 31st a success! Excellent TD and assistant work at every course, spotters in places I didn't expect to see but were needed and great to have them.  Also not to forget all the man hours put in to prepare for the event both on course and off.  Thank you all! 

I agree. And again, anyone who volunteered at the event can redeem a $5 gift certificate at mile north.

coops

Well done to the KCFDC and all the volunteers to make the 31st a success! Excellent TD and assistant work at every course, spotters in places I didn't expect to see but were needed and great to have them.  Also not to forget all the man hours put in to prepare for the event both on course and off.  Thank you all!

*Like*

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Every player I talked to seem to love the courses and the event. Nate Doss commmented to Kristie and me about how much he and other pro players enjoyed the schedule and playing the core courses of KC> He also mentioned it wouldn't be bad to skip Rosie to play Cliff in the future, after redesign.

We had a great showof community in the form of volunteers and I hope you can all make it to the volunteer party TBA.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Every player I talked to seem to love the courses and the event. Nate Doss commmented to Kristie and me about how much he and other pro players enjoyed the schedule and playing the core courses of KC> He also mentioned it wouldn't be bad to skip Rosie to play Cliff in the future, after redesign.

We had a great showof community in the form of volunteers and I hope you can all make it to the volunteer party TBA.

Played Cliff last night, it was in beautiful shape.  Moved it to the Mighty Mo Settings.

Cooper, tee-times not directed at you per se, you mentioned it.  Best events don't equate tee-times again I agree with the sentiment that it is an opinion.  If we had more volunteers to help with the event tee-times would be a better option, but we don't people don't all show up to help, many have other items they would rather do fact of live unfortunately.  If we could pay our volunteers it would be better, our sport doesn't support it, and not enough in our community of local disc golfers go out to get sponsors to help to make this a reality. 

Loomis, my call, and it was the right call, as for you and several other cards comment, spot wrong bud you are the only person that has said anything to me that I am aware of (or Kevin for that matter) so we upset you, I can live with that.  Kevin has SEVERAL years of running and helping run events, he made the call as he sees fit, and he is an exceptional volunteer of DECADES of work to the club and thousands of hours, and I trust and believe his decisions over your opinion in this instance.  Sorry YOU don't like it Loomis, it was not your call to make, and your rhetoric to the notion that it was not a wise decision is only your opinion.  Those that volunteered to make it happen thank you, for all the work that went in, please don't let this one sour note ruin another wise wonderful weekend of disc golf.

I know that this is only a couple of items that we are discussing about the event, and overall most are happy with how things developed over the course of the weekend, some mistakes were made, but overall those pale in event as a whole.  It took an entire community of disc golfers (even you and Cooper, Loomis) and I thank you all for the work leading up to the event, during the event, and the continuation of cleaning up the courses and resetting Swope for us to enjoy.

Our courses always look great this time of year, and there are hundred if not thousands of disc golfers in the area that are unaware of our efforts as a collective group to improve disc golf for the players from all over the world.  I think that a thank you is never enough, and as such I know that a volunteer party is being planned.  One item I would like all of you players to think about, is possibly coming out and spotting and caddying for the volunteer party, your way of thanking all of the people that put out their time to make your event work.  It would be nice to see some of that type of behavior from the players in the event locally if you can.  Just food for thought out here.

These are small issues, and shouldn't even really be discussed as everything was followed to the tee of the rules, and the communication was delivered.  It is sad you choose this topic to berate on a great guy for the club, and an event that many enjoyed.

Again thanks to all that played, helped, watched, or followed, it was a fun ride!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Loomis

Decades of volunteering, right call/ wrong call, who has said what regarding the call... Its empty rhetoric, bud. The captain of the Titanic had years of experience. And those who had opinions regarding the calamity usually never said anything. You can brush the issue aside all you want. You can even cloak your responses in "thank you's" and "congratulations." It doesn't change the fact that the call was wrong and you stand by it. I disagree with you. That's it. We'll see if this moment changes the rule regarding weather for future evets when you and Captain Smith are no longer allowed to use your keen sense of weather prediction for calling a tournament. So it ends with us not agreeing on this issue. You had the right to call it when you did and nothing will change a Jack opinion about a Jack call. So I will go over your head and make sure you don't get to make that call again. Easy enough.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:52:03 AM by Loomis »

coops

When and where is the volunteer party? If I'm available I'd love to come out and help.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Decades of volunteering, right call/ wrong call, who has said what regarding the call... It doesn't change the fact that the call was wrong and you stand by it. I disagree with you. That's it. We'll see if this moment changes the rule regarding weather for future evets.....
Again this is your opinion Loomis, only you feel it was wrong.  I stand by the fact that the call made was correct and done in consultation with many individuals monitoring the weather closely.  Were you watching your phone or playing the round?  My goal as TD is to ensure that things go as planned and safety is a concern.  Pulling people off the course when YOU felt like it wasn't my concern.  My concern is the safety of everyone and the decision was made in a timely fashion to minimize distraction from the event and allow safety to be maintained.  That was achieved.

You don't like it, you made it clear.  Fortunately though your opinion on this matter though obviously notated had no impact on the decisions of others that were in charge to make the decision.  I get you don't like it, but having played in an event just three weeks ago where play should have been suspended I understood there is a line, you play in foul weather, it happens, you don't play in unsafe weather, that is what we did.  We allowed play in foul weather, and pulled players in unsafe weather.  Your definition wasn't consulted and I apologize for that.  I used the modern thing that I am typing on to gather the information and worked with Kevin at making an informed decision as to when.  Maybe a few minutes could have been done earlier, but the notion of 30-35 minutes earlier is just silly.

Again I will hide it in a big thank you to all that helped, like it or not Loomis, over a 100 people helped to make this event work for you to play, and if you don't like the decisions the step up and run the event and make the decisions next time, and then listen to people that are single sided with conversational points that they see as the only way it should be done.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
When and where is the volunteer party? If I'm available I'd love to come out and help.

Will be working on a date.  THey had all the local players in Santa Cruz come and cook food, spot, and caddy for all the volunteers at Worlds there in 2011, and I thought that was a super cool idea.  I will be sure to share accordingly with folks about it once a decision is made.  I think that Crazy even hit an ace at that thing.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
HEy! For all those with panties that are not soiled, KC's own (And East side phenom) CD Steiner became the only player in the Wide Open history to WIN in every PRO division! I, for one would like to congratulate CD for many years of stellar play and doing what it takes to get it done! WELL DONE CD!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

Loomis

Apparently captain smith didn't inform you that he showed me the weather pattern on HIS phone and when I said it doesn't seem to be moving our direction, HE replied, "It's coming." Again... Your TD. He was aware of the data and made it clear to me and even concluded that it was a threat. Five holes later, with lightning and thunder in our sky (we were south of you and the rest of tournament) the tournament wasn't called until the last second.

So it seems you aren't even aware of the circumstances at the course and with your own TD. I will make a note of that.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:08:35 AM by Loomis »

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
please do sir loomis, we knew it was coming, thus preparing to make the call, just didn't do it when you wanted us to is what I think we all agree on.

As for CD, and Eric Eastwood, Minna, we have a lot of local talent that did great out there on the courses this past weekend.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Just thought I would drop in and say thanks to everyone that had any role in helping put on this event. I had a blast, as usual! 8)

James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Just thought I would drop in and say thanks to everyone that had any role in helping put on this event. I had a blast, as usual! 8)

Oh, and it was a giggity good time.  ;D
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Loomis

Noted: jack knew the threat and delayed the call. Got it.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Noted: jack knew the threat and delayed the call. Got it.

Perfect in your mind now, we all agree on that as well! ;D

Thanks Tall Guy!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"