Author Topic: Grip Equipment presents The 31st Kansas City Wide Open-June 14-16 KCWideOpen.com  (Read 19058 times)

coops

HEy! For all those with panties that are not soiled, KC's own (And East side phenom) CD Steiner became the only player in the Wide Open history to WIN in every PRO division! I, for one would like to congratulate CD for many years of stellar play and doing what it takes to get it done! WELL DONE CD!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think he's still got to get the Senior Grandmasters and Legends win, Fred.

I jest, I jest. Great job CD!

kselrod

I agree. And again, anyone who volunteered at the event can redeem a $5 gift certificate at mile north.
[/quote]

That's a cool idea!

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
good lord, THE b%tchING!!!!!

Is anyone singling out the mass of mistakes in the players book? Done by Loomis and entry to the event paid for, for doing such?????

Should we start 3 freaking pages about the incorrectness of the hole descriptions and belittle you????

SFTU already people!!!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:34:47 PM by Ken Franks »
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

kselrod

I think it was a bad call and I saw that coming all the way down here in Pittsburg KS.  I wanted to attend but felt staying home and spending a few hours with my 3 year old on her birthday (which was Saturday) and some time on Father's Day after going through a rough divorce was in my best interest.  With all the pain I've experienced over the last few months I wish all I had to complain about was whether or not the weather call was correct or not.  So I hope some people realize that there are way more problems in life to dwell on rather than saying the same thing over and over again.  I'm not saying this to be rude but to open peoples eyes a little bit in the grand scheme of things we call life.

By the way, what's the weather supposed to be like this weekend for the Mighty MO?  I may try to attend if there is no threat of bad weather and if Jack doesn't have to make the call...lol.   ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:43:44 PM by kselrod »

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:64184.4.99999

Sunday
 Mostly cloudy. High of 90F. Breezy. Winds from the South at 15 to 20 mph.
Sunday Night
 Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 72F. Winds from the SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

coops

I have an idea. Let's stop talking about 'this' time and start talking about 'next' time. The only way we can get things better and better is focus on the procedures and their implementation well ahead of the time a call has to be made. Maybe if we become more forward thinking and not focus on our hindsight we'll all be a little happier.

So I hope some people realize that there are way more problems in life to dwell on rather than saying the same thing over and over again.  I'm not saying this to be rude but to open peoples eyes a little bit in the grand scheme of things we call life.

In many instances, sure, in this instance I'm not so sure. Yes, this time everything was fine, but often (and I'm not saying in this case) TDs act cavalierly with the lives of the participants. The reality is that while many things in 'real life' suck at least we are alive to feel them and to deal with them. This even transcends many of the safety issues like pedestrians or cars getting hit or poor footing because the damage is terminal.

So let's all calm down. Stop yelling at each other and have a grown up discussion. I know posting in this thread has almost no way to avoid being backward looking so maybe we should shift it to the thread started by Rob in Club Business or create a new thread in General Banter.

Let us all try to live the peace that hole 4 at Water Works beckons us towards!

Loomis

good lord, THE b%tchING!!!!!

Is anyone singling out the mass of mistakes in the players book? Done by Loomis and entry to the event paid for, for doing such?????

Should we start 3 freaking pages about the incorrectness of the hole descriptions and belittle you????

SFTU already people!!!!

Great point stank. Lets address the caddy book. It was written in early May and then the course was changed (swope and blue valley) later. So you're right, it was wrong but that's less to do with my efforts and more to do with last second changes which were not communicated to me (other than two holes at blue valley). So that's the answer to your tough little mystery.

And that's what I did for the tournament. Now lets list all of your efforts and see how they stack up? I can't think of one thing you've done for anyone other than yourself since you arrived. Not one day of line painting, no tree trimming, no caddy book writing. Sitting at board meetings hardly constitutes "doing something." So before you open your mouth, make sure you have the right to even say anything. Otherwise, sit back and let others do the work you never seem to be a part of.

You're an arm chair quarterback who hasn't offered up much other than weight at the other end of a teeter totter during conversations.

Loomis

I stand corrected, you got the red bull girl to show up.

kselrod

Since we have the PITT Open coming up I have a question. Has anyone inquired about borrowing or renting one of those lightning detectors from the city or the local parks and rec departments for your tournaments?  Just curious as I'm going to talk to ours to see if it's an option to help keep the competitors safe.  Thanks

coops

Since we have the PITT Open coming up I have a question. Has anyone inquired about borrowing or renting one of those lightning detectors from the city or the local parks and rec departments for your tournaments?  Just curious as I'm going to talk to ours to see if it's an option to help keep the competitors safe.  Thanks

It may be worth checking with a school district, too. I know our football coaches used to have them and, in the off season, what school wouldn't be amenable to some extra income?

kselrod

It may be worth checking with a school district, too. I know our football coaches used to have them and, in the off season, what school wouldn't be amenable to some extra income?

Cool, great idea. I work at Pittsburg State University and will check with our Athletics Dept. tomorrow as well.  Thanks for the suggestion.

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Just start another thread, on another forum. Cool, this is not.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. This thread is like a fine wine, baby!
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Loomis

What's not cool?

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Both my daughters worked most of their late teen years as Lifeguards for the City of Olathe Parks and Rec at the Oregon Trail Park pool directly behind my old house. Before they worked there, they and Cindy spent the Summers there as well. Being so close to the pool and knowing the director of the pools and guards, we knew their procedures regarding many issues, from how to deal with underwear wearing drunken patrons, to when to clear the pools and deck when thunderstorms were in the area. Basically, the pool and deck are cleared immediately when any lightning is seen, or when any thunder is heard.

My card at Swope saw lightning flashes while we were halfway up hole 4. We were called in while we were playing hole 7. We could not hear the horn, but Pete and Kevin came and got us. Since none of us were killed or maimed, and no near misses happened, the call must have been made early enough, this time.  :-\   

I think perhaps since we live in a part of the country that has some of the strongest thunderstorm activity, we should have our own death/injury by lightning during Disc Golf event avoidance procedure. That would make the decision of when to call the players in easier for the TDs. If phone or interweb technology shows exact locations of strikes, perhaps the players could be called in based on a distance from the nearest strike to the course. I don't know what that number would be, but I'd guess it would be around 10 miles.

I thought the tournament was fun and the courses looked great. I tried to thank all the staff I saw, but to those I missed, and even to those I did see, THANKS!   :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:31:05 PM by Tom »