Author Topic: Grip Equipment presents The 31st Kansas City Wide Open-June 14-16 KCWideOpen.com  (Read 20461 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
b pool never ever saw the red bull girl, any photos?
espouse elucidation

Loomis

Well, Jamie, not every effort we give works out the way we hope it will.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile

Great point stank. Lets address the caddy book. It was written in early May and then the course was changed (swope and blue valley) later. So you're right, it was wrong but that's less to do with my efforts and more to do with last second changes which were not communicated to me (other than two holes at blue valley). So that's the answer to your tough little mystery.

And that's what I did for the tournament. Now lets list all of your efforts and see how they stack up? I can't think of one thing you've done for anyone other than yourself since you arrived. Not one day of line painting, no tree trimming, no caddy book writing. Sitting at board meetings hardly constitutes "doing something." So before you open your mouth, make sure you have the right to even say anything. Otherwise, sit back and let others do the work you never seem to be a part of.

You're an arm chair quarterback who hasn't offered up much other than weight at the other end of a teeter totter during conversations.

I feel ZERO need to justify anything to you. Since you asked, I helped sponsored the event, I offer my services to do what the BoD asks me to do, ie, carry the leader board and keep score. Think I wanted to do that? No, but I did...

Since you have so much time to complain, many wonder, When's the release of 90 days of mooching off my foreign girlfriend?
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Loomis

Oh stank, of all the people who shouldn't comment on mooching... My god youre the Babe Ruth of mooching. As far as my present situation, hmmmm let's just say I will let your perception stand because I don't think minna wants to chime in to negate your claim. However, she did think it was funny.

And you're right, you don't have to justify yourself. Which is why I'm shocked you brought up your labor intensive sign carrying duties. You didn't have to mention it, but you did. You're altruism is well-noted. I don't think anyone doubts your deep charitable heart. You carried that sign. My gosh, the future of disc golf is safe in your hands.

I challenge everyone to make a list of all the deep hearted efforts made by mr. Stank in the future. I won't be here to notice his staggering selfishness so I will task everyone here to see if go beyond the sign carrying and actually do something. And note to you; it's not altruistic if it serves you; e.g. Offering to coach players... At a discount... Is not altruism. Taking out of town players to play ball golf when the rest of city is painting lines, removing brush, shoveling wood chips, and repairing tee signs... Is not altruism. Doing something for others should be selfless.

Don't worry, I'll be gone soon enough. But now everyone is going to notice your input. Or lack thereof.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:20:06 AM by Loomis »

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I have a suggestion for future tournament directors (and league coordinators), and maybe something our Tech team could work on for the entire KCFDC community.  A very useful tool would be a text service that you signup for to receive text message updates.  The soccer league that I coach in has such a service and we receive up to minute updates for field conditions as soon as games are cancelled or in some cases confirm games if there is a question.  Rather than call the rainout line, you check your text messages which are instantaneous. 

For tournaments, this would be useful for weather delays and letting everyone know at the same time if there is a delay and for how long.  It can be very difficult to hear the call in if you are on the far side of the course during a rainstorm.  It's also a better (faster/easier) way to communicate to everyone that's participating changes to schedules and where and when players need to be at.  I could see the usefulness be extended to our KCFDC leagues whether they are still happening (due to weather), location (Cliff/BV or Birdland/PC), start time, or the format (singles to doubles) has changed.  You could also use it for KCFDC club announcements such as meeting dates, scheduled work days, etc.  The way the soccer text message works is that you can choose which updates you receive (from which field).  You can do all or only the specific fields you play and can opt out at any time.  For us, you could break it down to Tournaments, Leagues, KCFDC announcements.  I suppose you could break each League and Tournament into a separate section, but that might a bit cumbersome and if you have unlimited texts it's not a big deal to receive the extra information.  I've been thinking about this for a while now and hopefully something the Tech team can make it a reality. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:32:14 AM by eeastwood »

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I like Eric(k?)'s suggestion.  I took the liberty to cut and paste it into the Lightning Detectors thread
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Another thing regarding the so much bickering that has been on the message board as of late.  It reminds me of what I experience at home with my 8 and 10 year old kids.  It drives their mother and I absolutely bonkers.  They bicker all the time... it's constant, relentless, and does absolutely no good.  Please stop.  I get enough of this at home, I don't really want to experience it on what I do for fun.

I do think there is a place to offer suggestions on way things can be done better.  But often it comes off as complaining.  I know I'm guilty of this and some of my suggestions for improvements look like that I'm complaining, but I'm just trying to offer ways to move forward and make a better disc golf experience in Kansas City.  I know for me it's very difficult to get tone correct in a post.   

And finally, a huge THANKS! to Jack and all of the other volunteers for the KCWO.  I had an absolute blast this weekend and one of the most enjoyable tournaments that I have played in.  It was about the right amount of golf (that my arm can take), great courses, and smoothly ran.  Here's my suggestions.  I would really like to watch the Pros play more.  My suggestion for next year is that the NT play Fri/Sat/Sun or Sat/Sun, and the A-tier/C-tier play Fri/Sat (maybe 3 rounds, but 4 would be fine too).  Just a suggestion not complaining about the way that it was ran in the past.   ;)

Happy disc golfing, get out there and have some FUN!   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:13:29 AM by eeastwood »

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
I have a suggestion for future tournament directors (and league coordinators), and maybe something our Tech team could work on for the entire KCFDC community.  A very useful tool would be a text service that you signup for to receive text message updates. ....

Interesting idea. We use this technology at USM to alert students to snow days and other things. I'll look into this and see if it would be feasible to implement this and allow club members the opportunity to "opt in" to receive alerts. Thanks for the suggestion Eric.

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
was talking about this as well during the rain out with the PDGA's Jason Allind.  I think that it is a good way to get the information out there about delays and times.  Phones are generally off, so you still need to horn people for getting them off the course, but the notification about when it may resume can be used for this method as well.  I did the best I could with Faceblock and the PDGA and KCFDC sites to get the information out once it was looking like a timeline, but having it sent to phones/e-mails was something that I thought made sense and should be relatively easy to complete.

Thanks Kevin for taking this, and Eric thanks for posting it and reminding me about my thoughts.  My brain has been a little distracted this week from the events.

Sadly as I read, and I have been guilty as well, I don't often think about my own signature line in the my e-mails.  It does though bear notion that at times we must:

"Do not listen to those who weep and
complain, for their disease is contagious."
Og Mandino
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Not to be confused with Mandingo!  :o
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
but that sign was really REALLY heavy!

I'm not sure anyone else could've handled the sheer poundage that sign takes on the human body... I've need so much anti inflammatory's and constant massages since that brutal day...

One day I will recover...

Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
could we remove the term "shotgun start" since it is propagating gun culture, and we aren't using a shotgun, but we use horn signals? just trying to kill this thread.
espouse elucidation

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
could we remove the term "shotgun start" since it is propagating gun culture, and we aren't using a shotgun, but we use horn signals? just trying to kill this thread.

What's wrong with gun culture? And why are you trying to kill this thread?
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
the path to peace is through the eradication of poverty.
espouse elucidation

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
the path to peace is through the eradication of poverty.

I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555