Author Topic: Solstice Doubles 6/24  (Read 2150 times)

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« on: June 19, 2006, 10:04:23 PM »
Solstice Doubles II - Swope

The tourney voted "Most Fun" one year in a row is back!

Saturday, June 24th at
Swope

Registration ends at NOON!  Tee at 12:30

1 long drive contest
2 rounds of golf
3 large containers of adult refreshment
10 baskets as prizes (plus cash and other assorted schwag)
12 Trays of Thai food
$60 a team (bring your partner)
Short course
DJ...
You get the picture- Be There!

We are filling fast so PM me if you want to put your team on the list. 96 players last year(over half in intermediate) and we will be capping registration at 104-108 so space is limited.

-Sean

ptinkc

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://end-of-the-web.com
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 08:38:10 AM »
pete and jay are in please put us in. thanks
Three discs' in the hand is better than twenty in the bag!

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 09:28:46 AM »
will L and Ken H will be there

to take pete's moneys

McCabe

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 04:27:19 PM »
Is this a cash payout event?   Or is it a "mini Friz"?

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »
Cash payout for all divisions.  80+ pre registered.  PM me if you are going to show and be there by 11:30 to claim your spot.  You will be the first team in the Advanced Open Div. :)

-Sean

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 02:30:23 PM »
So how'd this event go? I regret that I wasn't able to make it on Saturday due to circumstances beyond my control but I'd love to hear about it.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 02:53:02 PM »
Would have been great if it wouldn't have rained.

It started raining with about 3 holes left in the first round, so they stopped the tourney, then started it again to let everyone finish the first round, then stopped it again for rain, then waited around for about 2 hours before they finally decided to call it good with one round and pay the leaders.

RAIN SUCKS!...but we should have played atleast 9 more holes.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 03:01:38 PM »
Bummer....   I was so out of it Saturday I didn't know it rained in KC. I was over an hour east of town in Sedalia.

I hope everybody at least had some fun doing the party thing anyway.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

MOSPARKY

Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 08:33:26 PM »
I vote next year, you start the tournament around 10:00..  Just in case something like this happens again.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 10:31:32 AM »
you can't p[redict the rain....

if you can, you need to work for NASA.

I want to personally thank Jeff and Sean for calling off the event.  That rain would have left the park a miserable mess with 100 people trying to play on that could have eroded years of work on the grass that we have been doing.

There comes a point that you must just say enough.  When it threatens the dignity of the park, that decision should be made.  I am not sure if that was discussed or not, but it should be a concern on a
fun" event.  We don't want to destroy the land by trying to finish an event that for the most part even with one round people still had a fun time playing.

IMPO
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 11:34:31 AM »
it really rained like hell.  and at a whopping 65 degrees i was glad they called it.

i'm sort of soft...

whoever was playing the music was right on.  nice, obscure songs from the good ole days.

nobody plays ready for the country anymore...

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 12:11:30 PM »
2.5+" in 3 1/2hrs. I guess I misunderstood the forecast, we thought it was 30% chance of rain, not 100% chance of rain with 30% chance of MONSOON.
It started raining at 2:30 and did not stop completely till 6:15!  Anything less and the show would have gone on.

It is a shame, 114 players and things were just starting to roll .  I apologize to those that didn't win anything, missed out on dry food, or in any way felt cheated by the outcome of the event.   We had lots of fun events planned and tons of stuff to give away, but the situation was out of control.  Damage to the course was one of the concerns, as was lightning, but the fact was we could not support play in that rain- scorecards were disintegrating, CTP markers turned to mush and Jeff and I had no dry place to stand and think, much less continue to run the event.  

We may have a doubles event this fall, but if not we hope to see everyone back again next year, maybe we'll get some triple digit temps. and a tornado to spice  things up!

-Sean

MOSPARKY

Solstice Doubles 6/24
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 04:19:05 PM »
I know it's been some time since the tourney, but here is an idea.  I get the whole longest day of the year thing, but what about starting the tourney at an earlier time.  I think I could hold off on the beer for at least one round.  Eat some food drink some beer have the second round.  I was on a card that two people were s@#$ faced after 8 holes.  Once again, not your fault.  Just giving you some input frome someone who stuck around until the thing was called off.( I really didn't want to play after that crap anyways.)  I did have a good time other things considered.