Author Topic: We have a Dream...  (Read 4992 times)

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
We have a Dream...
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:04:40 AM »
  Nice work on everybody that stepped their game up, this weekend and chose to make an effort to improve their game. Glad to see how many people listened to Loomis' points on "getting better". You guys really inspired me to put this in ink...

I was really hoping Scott was gonna put a few golfers, that normally play advanced, on my card. I was looking forward to giving advice and to motivate, and he gave me Cro. What a great fun round just to watch some great shots he threw. Dude, can crush!!! I was impressed. Keep it up Matt!!!

I had a great time in the limelight, Living in a motor home, being on tour, meeting amazing people, experiencing some intense life stories and lessons. All centralized by Disc Golf.

With handfuls of injuries and new life goals, I have a new focus within this game...What I want our golf community to understand is, Loomis and I have a very similar project, We want to inspire and make you all better!!!!

Dan and I, SINCERELY, believe we are a true hot bed for golfers. There is some serious talent forming in our community. Some of you are right on the cusp of being AMAZING!!! Once you refine a few parts of your game and gain consistency... The way your gonna do that is doing what you just did, PLAYING UP!!!

Not sure If everybody knows, but I never played as an Amateur. Only division I have ever played was Open. In 2003, My first rating was 938, after a handful of events, a donating PRO!!! I staying with the ups and downs for years as I excelled. Staying with that and learning from everyone I played with that was waaaay better than I was, I just absorbed. Watching the decision making, disc selection, course management...etc... watching Climo take a double circle 8, and regain poise, and birdie the next 10 holes. Truly remarkable the shots and things I've seen on a golf course. I played with a few golfers this weekend that can do things the course, that I was never able to do. Mainly throw really far...:~)

I gave a lesson everyday this past week and talk about feeling really rewarding. Watching one guy who couldn't throw more than 125 ft bailout hyzers, to throwing 4 consecutive shots, over 200 feet straight, in 90 mins, was super fun for both of us...!

If any of you need a little advice on your game or help tweaking something, please feel free to ask, whenever or wherever...!

Thanks for the Inspiration and forward thinking Mr. Loomis!!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
Re: We have a Dream...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »
*LIKE*

(we're working on the Like button Tank :D)
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:18:09 PM »
*LIKE*

(we're working on the Like button Tank :D)

It's about time something gets done around here... :P

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »
I am always in need of instruction. There is only so much online clinics can teach a person who learns best from hands on experience.  :P
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

ObiWan

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 01:17:11 PM »
I would love an opportunity to work with someone on my form, drives have been tweaking my elbow and shoulder a lot recently. I have gotten around this by throwing softer. I think my drive doesn't need to much work though, just enough to stop doing damage to my elbow and shoulder.
What I really need to work on is ups and mostly putts. Any help would be appreciated. I would also love the ability to take what I have learned and pass it on to others.

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »
Any help would be appreciated. I would also love the ability to take what I have learned and pass it on to others.

Agree! One of the things I took away from being a martial arts instructor was this line:

"The best teachers are those that can give others the passion to teach."
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »
I think this post is simply inspirational. 

Being in the Midwest is a vital location for this sport.  I feel that KC has everything that is needed to make this sport even bigger than it is today.  A great location with perfect settings and the potential for additional layouts can make the tracks that people travel hours or days to play.  More importantly, I feel it is the people who make this sport.  The players who walk these tracks have the ability to promote a fantastic game in a top notch city.  I have yet to meet anyone, random or otherwise, who does not represent KC and Disc Golf in an exceptionally positive light.  Having been a member for only several months, I feel the cost more than pays for itself with the opportunity you are given.

I met some guys at PCP after I got lost at BV on Saturday (Daaaamn that place is no joke).  Great guys to play with.  I talked about the KCFDC and they were very interested.  Not to push it, but I suggested they join up for all it has to offer or hit up a league and see if it is for them.  These same two guys were the ones that came DU the Saturday before everyone went off on RDD.  They were impressed by the friendliness and draw of a Saturday league.  Needless to say, we exchanged numbers and will be playing again.  I hope to get them to sign up with the KCFDC.  Not just to increase membership, but because the more people we can get who truly enjoy this sport, the better we are as whole.

I missed Sunday.  But I enjoyed seeing those I know in the results and how well they did.  It's small things like Disc Golf that can make life that much more enjoyable.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

Loomis

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »
Sunday at Swope. 10 AM.

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »

More importantly, I feel it is the people who make this sport.  The players who walk these tracks have the ability to promote a fantastic game in a top notch city.  I have yet to meet anyone, random or otherwise, who does not represent KC and Disc Golf in an exceptionally positive light.  Having been a member for only several months, I feel the cost more than pays for itself with the opportunity you are given.

It's small things like Disc Golf that can make life that much more enjoyable.

Here's the deal. I am old but new to the sport. I started as a way to loss weight, period. ( those that know me, know I'm fat) I started in July when it was 120 + degrees, so I went in the morning and walked. I would throw then count my steps after each throw all in allI remember, 80 Feet. I thought that was good being an Ex-Frisbee player. My wife and I were at PHill and a young man, (under 30) was very polite and showed me the x-step and walked with us for a few holes. That gave me an additional 30 feet. Since then , I have meet and played with some very supportive people. Each one has left something with me, I even recieved a disc from one of my new friends. In turn , I have introduced 6 new players to the sport and who knows where these seeds will fall. I have a bad heart and don't know how long I can play but I'm going to try and play as much as I can until I can't play anymore. I hope to play more next spring and play some league play.
I am a high school teacher by day and know that helping others is not only a great feeling but it makes you better at your trade.
Thanks for all the help folks
Mick
p.s. forgot the part, last week on 10 at Legacy, I made it even to the pin in 2.  :D
Who ever said it was easy ,never met me.

cro

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 10:11:25 PM »
I had a great time at this event, it was lots of fun playing with Tank and Cooper. They both had encouraging things to say. I will for sure take any chance, be it league or other to play up and learn from these guys. Thanks to both of you guys for encouraging me to work on my consisteny and giving me the opportunity compete in a higher level of golf. Looking forward to the next round that we play.
Matt Crowe
PDGA #48148
KCFDC #1318

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 05:48:20 AM »
Excellent thread gents.

I will be hitting you up Tank . . . (my putting is twisted in my head)

Sunday 10AM Swope, looking forward to meeting you loomis and learning how I can get better.

Keep it up Mick, I too am an old one and new to the game. I hope to play until I can no longer walk . . .

Again, thanks to Scott for pushing us up . . .

peace
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

coops

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »
I just want to throw in there too that I regularly play Rosedale after work (sometime in the early afternoon and depending on weather).

If anybody wants to play, just let me know. Usually I'm doing something weird like playing safari or even just working on a couple different holes for their particular shots, but if you want to practice and have somebody watch your shots (so long as you promise to critique or video mine), you are more than welcome to join me.

Aric

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:17 PM »
Here is my take of disc golf in Kansas City, and it has parts of the Loomis/Tank philosophy in it.  First of all, I have been throwing for eight weeks this Friday, thus I suck.  Even though I am a newbie, I have been encouraged by players greater than me to join the KCFDC and PDGA and support not only the local club, but also the national scene.  I have, and met several good people in the short two months.

When I began throwing, I was encouraged by the first pro I met to play in the RAC, which I did. His philosophy was that I should play in tournaments, not only to watch better players, but to get experience with the various courses.  After the RAC, I was encouraged to play the City of Fountains, which I also took his advice and did.  Even though I got chewed up at Blue Valley, and came in last place (not including the DNF's), I had fun, learned some things, and will continue on my quest to get better.

The pro has stuck with me, teaching me to throw straighter, farther, and I still have much to learn from him.  In fact, I have never been told by anyone I have met that I was no good, should not play, nor they did not want to play on the same card as me.  In fact the opposite is true.  I have been encouraged to play, invited to play in groups as I let them play through when I have been throwing by myself, and given advise.  Several times, I have been given disc's to try to throw.  I now have several people that I can text to go play, and if schedules allow, will.

Besides seeing two players throw discs at each other because they did not like the other player, and another who threw between 80-100 dollars worth of discs in woods in frustration (resulting in a majority of the disc's being lost), I have seen nothing but good sportsmanship and a willingness and desire to bring new people into the sport and helping them grow. 

If you need someone to play a course with, and I am free, I will, even though it may take me a few more shots to get to the basket than yours.  I am grateful for the assistance I have received, and am looking foward to beating some people next year.  Most people I have met just want to play disc golf.

Thanks for everything so far,
Aric

sportwood

• Am Poster
  • Chris Portwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »
This has been a super thread!!!  Thank you guys for pushing to make our club a true community!  I got into disc golf years ago because it was what I could afford on a college student budget but I have stayed because of the culture.  It is amazing to see this culture hold.  As our community grows it gets harder and harder to maintain that and you guys have really stepped up to make it happen!!!!!

Andy Portwood and I meet up at some course at least one day every weekend and would love to get any instruction we can get.  We both have cameras that take high speed video and playback slow motion replay to break things down so hopefully we can help you out as well using the tools we have.  Look forward to seeing you guys on the course.
Thanks,
Chris Portwood
Technology Team
PDGA# 55595