Author Topic: We have a Dream...  (Read 4237 times)

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: We have a Dream...
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
I know I kind of highjacked the tread alittle, it was the Ocktoberfest talking. But it was about disc golf of KC to me. Here I go again.
I have a great job, I hang out with young people all day talking about what we love to do. My classes are 2 1/2 hours a day and are small so we get to know each other well and they know I have a new love in my life. Today we had some time to kill so I took them outside and gave them my putters. ( I only had 8 ) They were throwing them pretty well for their first time. Three of them have played and kind of helped. What a good time. Some wanted to know how much and where  the courses where. I had a great time telling them "that was a good throw". We have a weld shop that is going to help me make a couple of baskets and I'm going to set up a 2 hole course. With all the talk of course design and the future of the sport in KC, the more people playing being rec or pro ,you will have a strong voice in it's future. With others helping others get better and then passing that on, it will grow. I might of quit playing with out the help from strangers. I didn't play the tournament this tread was about but plan on being more active next year. I travel a lot and always hear KC is a friendly place, keep it up KCFDC and help us newbies. Yes ,learning from the best makes the best better.

Sorry for the Highjack
now back to lurking
Mick
Who ever said it was easy ,never met me.

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »
This has been a super thread!!!  Thank you guys for pushing to make our club a true community!  I got into disc golf years ago because it was what I could afford on a college student budget but I have stayed because of the culture.  It is amazing to see this culture hold.  As our community grows it gets harder and harder to maintain that and you guys have really stepped up to make it happen!!!!!

Andy Portwood and I meet up at some course at least one day every weekend and would love to get any instruction we can get.  We both have cameras that take high speed video and playback slow motion replay to break things down so hopefully we can help you out as well using the tools we have.  Look forward to seeing you guys on the course.

Yes, we have done a lot of filming and it definitely helps to find areas of improvement. Both of us are happy to lend our filming capability for anyone, especially (but not limited to) those that can help us on our game as well. Let either of us know if interested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-_Nz9TLM-M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ps: sorry about the hyperlink. Couldn't figure out how to post the video directly from my phone.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:39:27 PM by andyportwood »
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 12:32:36 PM »
You have the video set to private.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 12:37:05 PM »
Fixed it. Thanks Dick!
PDGA#52809

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
One helpful tip I can offer is try playing a round of Homie skins golf. That helps with concentration.
Steven Disc Glover

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 07:29:09 PM »
This has been a super thread!!!  Thank you guys for pushing to make our club a true community!  I got into disc golf years ago because it was what I could afford on a college student budget but I have stayed because of the culture.  It is amazing to see this culture hold.  As our community grows it gets harder and harder to maintain that and you guys have really stepped up to make it happen!!!!!

Andy Portwood and I meet up at some course at least one day every weekend and would love to get any instruction we can get.  We both have cameras that take high speed video and playback slow motion replay to break things down so hopefully we can help you out as well using the tools we have.  Look forward to seeing you guys on the course.

Yes, we have done a lot of filming and it definitely helps to find areas of improvement. Both of us are happy to lend our filming capability for anyone, especially (but not limited to) those that can help us on our game as well. Let either of us know if interested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-_Nz9TLM-M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ps: sorry about the hyperlink. Couldn't figure out how to post the video directly from my phone.

I like that you bring the disc up, as i term, "the show and throw". I think you are bringing the disc back a bit early... let your first step(right foot) be the the time you bring the disc up to front...second step, taking the disc back... You are starting to bring it back, during your first step...( not counting the 4th step, ie your first step)

Have I confused you?
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 08:20:10 PM »
Nope! I follow  :D I know I need to open my hips more before my release as well.

Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:27:41 PM by andyportwood »
PDGA#52809

Loomis

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
Due to weather concerns for Sunday Morning. I am going to push back the Sunday morning Swope round to another day.

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 01:22:06 PM »
Chris and I are pushing for a morning round or two tomorrow at Rosedale if anyone is interested. We wanted to try to hit both courses. Might push for a 36 hole non-stop golfaganza if our arms aren't falling off after the first 18 :P
PDGA#52809

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
What time? I have'nt played DU and I would like to play both courses tomorrow.

coops

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »
Re: The Video

I'd for sure work on taking that left hand off the disc on your pullback. You do for a bit but sort of put it back on right before you begin accelerating the disc.

It also looks like it is swinging a little too far off your chest (is making the disc line too rounded). Might be a trick of the angle, but if not and you can focus on getting a more straight pull through you should be able to get some more speed on the disc.

coops

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 05:32:28 PM »
Watch your front foot and see if anything jumps out at you.

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
What time? I have'nt played DU and I would like to play both courses tomorrow.

We were thinking between 7:30 and 8am. I like to get out early so I can spend the rest of the day with my family.
PDGA#52809

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »
Re: The Video

I'd for sure work on taking that left hand off the disc on your pullback. You do for a bit but sort of put it back on right before you begin accelerating the disc.

It also looks like it is swinging a little too far off your chest (is making the disc line too rounded). Might be a trick of the angle, but if not and you can focus on getting a more straight pull through you should be able to get some more speed on the disc.
Thanks Cooper!

I hadn't ever noticed the back hand grab the disk. It's only for a split second but that's enough to alter the line.

And I do see what your talking about with the disc being a little far off the chest. I need to work on that! I compared it with several of the other videos I have and it looks like the fact that I'm not opening up my hips early enough could be exasperating this as well.

What are you seeing with the front foot. I'm loving this feedback!!!!!
PDGA#52809

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
Here's what Cooper means...

Ken Climo Mando Minute Ep. 1 sponsored by Clearwater Disc Golf Store
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...