Author Topic: We have a Dream...  (Read 5300 times)

mperry

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: We have a Dream...
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
Surely it's like 5%
Matt perry

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
Maybe 5% of the population that plays even semi-seriously. People who play in leagues and occasional tournaments, sure.

But all of disc golfers? Like, people who play even remotely regularly? It's probably well below 1%.

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 09:09:30 PM »
Peter said what I was going to type. I think his numbers are accurate.

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 09:24:44 PM »
There's a lot of people in KC that throw over 400, but I agree, lots that don't.
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 09:42:54 PM »
I stopped the full reach back from a Hemme suggestion.  I lost some distance, but I gained more command.  I am not as accurate or consistent with a full reach back.  Heck, I am not accurate or consistent.  I would love to incorporate more reach back into my game.  I would love to incorporate more consistency  and accuracy.  I would love...  Suggestions on how the heck Will throws with full reach back and accuracy is appreciated.

It's not a black an white thing, Quinnie.   Hemme is right, but his advice must be taken in context with what you were doing at moment he advised you. For example, was it a wide open 200 ft upshot?

I recently went to the full reach back not to gain power -I could already throw it 500+ ft- but to gain straight line accuracy.  Before learning the full reach back I used a bent elbow technique.  Bent elbow afforded me great distance control.  The drawback with bent elbow is "rounding".  During rounding the disc is not traveling in a straight line as you pull it from the reach back to the release.  The disc is actually traveling in a curve.  Looking at "rounding" from above, you can easily see that if your release point is not perfect, you will release early and throw the disc left of your intended target (if you are right handed) or release the disc late and have it travel right of where you want it to go.  Rounding can spell trouble when you need to hit a gap.  Full reach eliminates rounding.

I still use bent elbow when I need to hit a certain distance, but if I need to hit a line I use full reach back.

As for accuracy, you can only gain that with a lot of practice.  Field practice.  Don't play rounds.  Only playing rounds is one of the worst things you can do for your game if what you want is to get better fast.  You just won't improve much.
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »
There's a lot of people in KC that throw over 400, but I agree, lots that don't.

Not consistently, there aren't a lot of people on FLAT ground.  I can throw over 400' at WW on #14  ;D  I can't on #2 though.... 8)

.....I recently went to the full reach back not to gain power -I could already throw it 500+ ft-........

now this guy is just showing off....EAST SIDE!  :o
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tla06

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 10:03:33 AM »
For you younger throwers, keep in mind that you will be old one day and the ol' bod won't be as flexible.  Develop a throwing style with good basic mechanics now so that as you age and your throw goes away, you'll be able to self-analyze to bring it back.  Additionally, good form will also help against long term damage to the various joints involved and keeping you playing way past the point you should causing all the youngsters to feel sorry for you  :-\ ;D
Wind??  What wind??

Loomis

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
I am free tomorrow if anyone would like some assistance.

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »
Can we amend the name to EAST SIDE BOMBERS?
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

sportwood

• Am Poster
  • Chris Portwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
I am free tomorrow if anyone would like some assistance.

What time will you be available?
Thanks,
Chris Portwood
Technology Team
PDGA# 55595

Loomis

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
Seth and I will be at Rosedale at 9 for a round. After that round, I will be free.

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
f*ck the 1%!

Love me some Neckbeard!

I am guessing every disc golfer would recommend finding your technique over trying to copy someone else's. Certainly, there is value in tips and advice from Pro players but time and practice will build that conistency in distance/accuracy. If you have seen me throw, you know I do not run up and barely cross step. Now I do not throw 400 + consistenlty, but I do throw 350 w/o a ton of effort, and it usually goes where I want it to. It's not because I am tall. It's because I have developed that shot over time. The shot does include the pull back and some of the "spacing" advice from Feldberg and Big Jerm.

In short, practice, practice, practice. The ball diamonds are a good place to start. I like to unload my bag a couple times from home base and then go throw a few holes. It helps a lot.

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »
f*ck the 1%!

Love me some Neckbeard!
....... I like to unload my bag a couple times from home base and then go...... It helps a lot.

I was laughing about this, I found it just hilarious, though not intended....I kept saying to myself, "He said unload his bag"....Beevis it's not that funny! :P
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »
f*ck the 1%!

Love me some Neckbeard!
....... I like to unload my bag a couple times from home base and then go...... It helps a lot.

I was laughing about this, I found it just hilarious, though not intended....I kept saying to myself, "He said unload his bag"....Beevis it's not that funny! :P

This guy? What the...?  ;)

tla06

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »
Consider the source...  :P
Wind??  What wind??