Author Topic: PDGA League in 2013 at Cliff  (Read 6118 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
PDGA League in 2013 at Cliff
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:56:54 PM »
Folks,

The first 10 weeks of league next year at Cliff Drive will be PDGA leagues.
http://www.pdga.com/leagues

I will initially pay the $25 fee, and then based on this, league will raise to $6 for club members $7 for non-club members. 
That means that league payout will be based as follows:
Current-
$4-payout
$1-Club
$1-Ace
-$1 discount for Club Members (Why you typically pay $5 for leagues now as a member)

PDGA League in 2013
$4-payout
$1-Club
$1-Ace
$1-PDGA/Cliff Drive Tree Fund (the PDGA gives back 1/2 of the $1 to the local club, this will remain in Cliff Drive Tree Fund)
-$1 discount for club members (Thus $6 for Current members or $7 for non-current Members deduct $1 if you don't want in the ace fund)

You will need to be in attendance for at least 6 of the 10 weeks to qualify for the "series award" (TBD, but I will have something)  I would also encourage more participation for Am's in this series as well this upcoming year.

TO surmise some of the benefits (From Kevin McCoy formerly of Tulsa notoriety) :

It gives players more rated rounds that equates to more accurate player ratings.
    It will allow offering handicap events which are popular with recreational players.
    It helps to determine which division is best suited for players.

I was involved in a very successful club in Tulsa and I really have a strong desire of wanting to help strengthen clubs and leagues. Giving something back to the club is essential to making the PDGA work for them.   Here are some of the benefits the clubs will get out of the running leagues.

Special Promotional PDGA Membership Discounts
    ½ of the $1 league fee stays with the league for course improvements, baskets, charities, etc. (see my comment above)
    Exposure and advertising for your league through PDGA.com

Here is how PDGA Sanctioned Leagues are going to work initially.  The first phase for 2012 will roll out in March, once daylight savings kicks in. We are offering sessions of 6 to 10 weeks for your league.  We are going to start out keeping it simple with basic singles play, but in later phases we will be able to offer other formats.

Anyone interested in becoming a league director can contact the PDGA and get a League Director package.
    It will be a $25 PDGA sanctioning fee
    The PDGA will provide the league director a League Director Spreadsheet.
    The spreadsheet will be able to track the results of your league auto-magically.
    Each league then is able to view results on the league page on PDGA.com.

The spreadsheet the League Director will receive will be a simplified TD report in Excel spreadsheet format.  It’s a very simple page that just tracks names and scores, for uploading to the PDGA website.  And, for the more dedicated TD's that want to input more data it can be used  to track more detailed stats like your Birdies, Bogies,  wins, losses, etc.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:59:20 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: PDGA Leagues in 2013 at Cliff
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
ok count me in, but i am very suspicious of a tree fund since the inception of the TLC tree love conspiracy. trees are not being planted, change the goal to a hedge fund or some form of topiary.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:13:11 PM by jamidanger »
espouse elucidation

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »
ok count me in, but i am very suspicious of a tree fund since the inception of the TLC tree love conspiracy. trees are not being planted, change the goal to a hedge fund or some form of topiary.

Boy, you just are itching for a new angle, or rubbing up against a tree like a deer, marking your turf huh?

Let's Refresh yourself....
http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=7964.0
ok i luv cliff drive, but have any trees been planted as a result of this tournament? can we please change the name to the glock classic?

Then to follow that up ever so eloquently was Drew with....
i made the announcement last year at the players' meeting that jack would oversee this project in my absence(if you were there, danger, you would have already known).  after countless discussions with jack about numerous projects at cliff drive, it was decided to save up the money and do a larger planting when i return.  I have the watering tank and i didn't see the point of putting in trees without a regular supply of water.  seems to be a wise decision given the amount of rain kc is getting this year.  we should be able to get a better deal on the trees and mulch in two years with the money from the first three tournaments.  we raised almost $300 last year and the KCFDC has been kind enough to oversee that money until I return.

the new holes and the trees are separate, independent projects.  we will not be planting any trees on the holes we may be loosing until we have confirmation on their ultimate status.  there are plenty of existing holes in need of numerous trees that have no plans for leaving us (18,17,16,10,11).  we will be starting with those holes, probably in that order.

thanks for the inquiries, danger and khyzer.  :D

Suffice it to say, I will continue to work with the originator of the TLC, and will do so at the behest of his demands!
 :P :-*
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
I forgot. Why is it KCMO isn't replacing the old and dieing trees with new trees? 

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:32:34 PM »
Jamie's post reminds me of a thought I had the other day: Instead of using the TLC money to buy trees, which may succumb to drought, disease, or be eaten by deer...

...why not just rent trees whenever we have a tournament or a birthday party? Thoughts on this? Drew? Jack?
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

coops

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:27:10 AM »
Two things, Jack.

Will there be any sort of provision covering PDGA rules of play as they will pertain to player rating? Specifically I'm thinking of the oft-times liberal usage of the pickup in our leagues. Some are fine, sure, but others are much to generally applied and could really impact the ratings aspect of these leagues.

And are these directly affecting our PDGA rating or is there a separate PDGA league rating to be created? I thought the latter, but I can't find where it was that made me think that now.

thanks

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:58:58 AM »
.....Will there be any sort of provision covering PDGA rules of play as they will pertain to player rating? Specifically I'm thinking of the oft-times liberal usage of the pickup in our leagues. .........

Good point, we will discuss that at every league, but we would want to "finish the hole" out in most instances, the rule for me is typically within 6' of the basket though it's a gimme, but I can see where you are heading on that.  We will work towards picking up all shots and finishing the hole during the PDGA format.

And are these directly affecting our PDGA rating or is there a separate PDGA league rating to be created?.....

The way that I interpret it, this will impact your rating, and counts the same as a standard round in a tournament.  The belief is that by having rated rounds during your more standard playing time that the rating will be a more accurate indication of how you really are rated.  Tournaments are not typical, but the ratings used are from that non-typical disc golf style, so this was a way to capture it.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: PDGA League in 2013 at Cliff
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 09:31:27 AM »
Very interested.
What day and time of week?
What date does it start?
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »
Cliff Drive league will remain on Monday's, and it will start probably the 2nd week after Daylight Savings kicks in next year March 18th, we shall let the hangover begin at Cliff Drive.

Tom, we are looking into Keizer's idea of renting trees.  Right now we are trying to accurately make a determination of the rental time agreement, and are in conversations with Kiewit about using said trees for their own carbon credit, and the timeline that they would be interested in helping to defray associated costs.

Right now though the major hold up seems to be a dirty bird that got caught in a carbon based light transformer and slowed the conversation down.  There were also concerns from the TLC organizing committee that working with a JoCo based outfit could lead to soccer moms and dads coming into the park, instead of our typical clientele of companions, those who choose to live "off the grid" and the other layer of UN-recycleable depositors of the land.

These conversations with those leaders seemed to have stalled, as every intention of meeting and having conversations with them, they appear to be anxious and leave.  SO based on that information we are holding tight with the status quo at the moment.

If you could reach the hierarchy within the JoCo organization that may in fact help our efforts of placing trees that we will yank out of an area to the North of Sante Fe Trail in a location that Sonny Hill used to be in, there appears to be plenty to harvest in that general area. :o
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »
Were you still planning on having the league play at BV once a month or with there be a seperate league for that course as well this year?
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »
I think that we will continue with the tradition this  "next" year of league on the first Monday of the month at BV...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:44:00 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
I think that we will continue with the tradition this year of league on the first Monday of the month at BV...

Love it!  ;D
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

coops

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
.....Will there be any sort of provision covering PDGA rules of play as they will pertain to player rating? Specifically I'm thinking of the oft-times liberal usage of the pickup in our leagues. .........

Good point, we will discuss that at every league, but we would want to "finish the hole" out in most instances, the rule for me is typically within 6' of the basket though it's a gimme, but I can see where you are heading on that.  We will work towards picking up all shots and finishing the hole during the PDGA format.

And are these directly affecting our PDGA rating or is there a separate PDGA league rating to be created?.....

The way that I interpret it, this will impact your rating, and counts the same as a standard round in a tournament.  The belief is that by having rated rounds during your more standard playing time that the rating will be a more accurate indication of how you really are rated.  Tournaments are not typical, but the ratings used are from that non-typical disc golf style, so this was a way to capture it.

I've always considered the rule that if it has to leave your hand you should have to putt it. No one wants you to miss those, but they happen from time to time and should be counted as such, IMO.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 09:12:49 AM »
.... but that's what i like about cliff league, courtesy, and the cowbell, and the bells of saint anthony.

You know I freaked out, Hockey season started, and I couldn't remember where the cowbell was located.  I was scurrying around for a minute since I had cleaned my car thinking I was going to sell it, and I couldn't remember when I last used the cowbell.....then it dawned on me, League!  Right it is in the league box!  SHA-BAM! there it was, and the world was correct again, and my children were upset/angry that dad still has the obnoxious thing!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile