Author Topic: Tree's planted at Rosie!!!  (Read 405 times)

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Tree's planted at Rosie!!!
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »
completely sweet to see all the new tree's that are planted at Rosedale...

please feel free to water them when you walk buy... not sure if they drink beer though, they look a bit young...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tree's planted at Rosie!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 02:27:52 PM »
any more details.... the number of trees, size, types, who planted them, etc?

that is great news and thanks to those that helped.

Here is a good story about planting/transplanting trees. It all started as a shopping trip but snowballed into an all day fiasco. I have been shopping for trees last couple years not sure what i wanted and not really wanting to wait 30 yrs for them to be sizable.   I stopped by several nurseries but hit the jack pot in Blue Springs.  I have really wanted to plant Sycamore so i approached the worker and asked him about the different prices.  I looked over at some giant Sycamore and jokingly asked about those. He originally gave me the $80 an inch qoute which is the standard.  I asked what the fall discount price was and pushed him a little harder. He quoted me $100 for trees that had 4" trunks.  I told him immediately that i  would take two and be back in an hour.  The trees were so big the that the root ball took up most of the bed of the truck and the tree stuck out of the bed 20+feet.  We managed to make both trees to my house without getting a ticket for having a traffic violation.   The branches took up the whole lane even as we drove on  part of the shoulder.  i  dug out one of the holes several weeks before and had been watering it.  The biggest worry was getting the tree to nestle into the hole because once it was in the hole it would have taken a skid to move it if we did not like how it was sitting.  Each tree weighed a ton.  We prepped the hole with good soil and root stimulator and tilled the bottom of the hole to ensure good soft soil to give the roots complete  dirt contact when the ball was pulled into place. We drove the truck with the tree in the bed over the hole, tied braided flat rope around the tree and hooked the rope to another truck and pulled the tree out of the truck and let gravity do the rest. 

Trees are doing well today.  They are 15ft  taller than my second story deck.  Sycamores grow fast, are hardwood, do well in hot and cold, and my variety the London Plane, are known for surviving terrible amounts of pollution.  They were named after surviving the smog/pollution during the industrial revolution in London.  They were one of the few trees that survived the pollution.

Another good tip...after digging out a  hole, the soil can act like a bath tub collecting water if you have a lot of clay. Do not over water the hole.  Over watering can cause the water to pool up  and the roots can basically drown in the water.  THe sides of the hole need to be roughed up as well to allow the roots to penetrate and branch out.  When digging a hole, the blade from the shovel or tree spade can compress the soil making it even harder.

ptinkc

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://end-of-the-web.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:52:31 PM »
The Trees, 9 of them were purchased by the KCFDC and Dynamic Discs in a 50/50 split. The Unified Government planted them and will water them for us.
Thank you all that played league and joined the club every year. Its your dollars that add up and make a difference at the courses.
Three discs' in the hand is better than twenty in the bag!

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »
The Trees, 9 of them were purchased by the KCFDC and Dynamic Discs in a 50/50 split. The Unified Government planted them and will water them for us.
Thank you all that played league and joined the club every year. Its your dollars that add up and make a difference at the courses.

Again, Utz, Where's the "LIKE" or "I CONCUR" button???
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...