Author Topic: Ouch!  (Read 1418 times)

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Ouch!
« on: December 10, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »
Pc has tree cut down on hole 1,4,6,17 & 18...and I saw this just while driving in.

All of which were dead from disease, and all of which were major fairway players.

:'(
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »
we played there last week and saw them spray painted for removal... maybe we should just remove them all, and pave it???
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »
I can understand the tree on #6 long left basket being removed but they also cut out the evergreen tree which guarded the left side of the pin.  I didn't think it was dead.  Now there is nothing there.

Looks like someone got chain saw happy unless of course it was damaged by the cutting of the bigger tree.
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »
the trees were positively identified and registered democrats, and none of the wood was worthy of a jaguar steering wheel so the wood will be mulched and donated to an urban project. i once saw a soccer mom spill her lemonade out there and was aghast when she wiped it up with.....get this - a paper towel!
espouse elucidation

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 07:38:03 AM »
Fortunately the City of Olathe has multiple tree farms and the machinery to transplant 10 to 15 year old trees. I'm fairly certain many more trees will be planted in the areas where the sick and dying ones were removed, at no expense to the Club and without having to hold fund raising tourneys to purchase trees.

When the course was first in there were only about a dozen trees in the entire park. The Arborist over the years has planted several hundred. The park will be just fine, in about 10 years from now.  :'(

See the tree how big it's grown, but friends it hasn't been that long, it was just a twig.  :)

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 09:39:37 AM »
Well said Tom.  Yeah, we don't have to hold tournaments and promise trees that are never delivered.  :-)  Ouch!
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »
Old news dude.
You must be referring to the cliff drive tree fund, because rosedale has had several trees planted in the last week.

Quote from drew neitzel who has done more work on KC courses than 99% of people here. Responding to a similar comment from jdanger.

"i made the announcement last year at the players' meeting that jack would oversee this project in my absence(if you were there, danger, you would have already known).  after countless discussions with jack about numerous projects at cliff drive, it was decided to save up the money and do a larger planting when i return.  I have the watering tank and i didn't see the point of putting in trees without a regular supply of water.  seems to be a wise decision given the amount of rain kc is getting this year.  we should be able to get a better deal on the trees and mulch in two years with the money from the first three tournaments.  we raised almost $300 last year and the KCFDC has been kind enough to oversee that money until I return.

the new holes and the trees are separate, independent projects.  we will not be planting any trees on the holes we may be loosing until we have confirmation on their ultimate status.  there are plenty of existing holes in need of numerous trees that have no plans for leaving us (18,17,16,10,11).  we will be starting with those holes, probably in that order."

Unfortunately getting trees over here requires actual work and action and lots of money. I think its great that olathe has the ability to do this at little cost and volunteer effort, but is it really necessary to keep kicking this dead horse. I have worked with drew on courses and seen all that he has done with his selfless goal of improving the courses for everyone. I have faith that when he returns to kc everybody will appreciate his efforts across kc. Except olathe of course because obviously you guys have that covered.

One reason there hasn't been that much money raised is all the fund raising tourneys have been way too sparsely attended. So when people start showing up to these and an actual decent amount of money is made then snide comments may be warranted, but now its just getting old... hmmm what else was there. Oh yah Ouch!
Cooter was here.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »
I've been working on KC courses since 1988 Lee.

My only gripe on the tree thing is that since the land is owned by the Citys, THEY should be planting trees.

I appreciate Drew's and all volunteers efforts in the parks. Planting trees is a noble endeavor, but I'll leave it up to the land owners using professional heavy equipment, planting correct species under the direction of Certified Arborists myself.

I did plant a few trees in Olathe back in 1990. They were donated by an old man I worked with that didn't live anywhere near Olathe, and didn't play Disc Golf. The Arborist did a better job than me.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:05:53 PM by Tom »

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »
We would all love to have the cities be more involved with work at the courses, but we are stuck dealing with the situations as they are.

As somebody who has done a lot of work at the courses you can appreciate how it might feel to some who do try to get things done at courses to hear negativity that has already been brought up and explained. I'm sure a lot of that was in jest, but sometimes that can lead to more of a response than was expected.

This comparison or competition, for lack of a better term, between different cities or states gets a little silly to me sometimes, and i feel obligated to defend someone who i appreciate and consider a friend.

I appreciate all the work that is done by volunteers around the KC metro. That was part of the reason i chose to come here, and a huge reason why i stay.
Cooter was here.

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »
My comments were directed in jest towards jamidanger and in no way am I belittling the work that so many volunteers within the Kansas City disc golf community put in.  I appreciate the opportunity to play in a city with so many great courses and folks that support those courses.

OK, that aside, I'm gonna continue to jest within the ongoing Cliff / Olathe my Dad's bigger than your Dad saga.  Jamie?  Jack?
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »
your dad IS jack's dad, and a garbage collector until 2007, where he worked at deffenbaugh on the prospect corridor. i can smack talk the poison ivy off any course with my trusty knife that some call a machete.

Enter Sandman - Pat Boone (Jazz Version)
espouse elucidation

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »
SNAPPY!!  Thanks, danger!!
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 10:44:14 AM »
Since I have never met my father after the age of 3....it's tough to say, but as a child I was constantly asked where I got my red hair, since I was the first in family to have it, and I always answered "from the garbage man"  Danger, can you lead me to the way of the location of my biological father?

:-)

As for the bashing of Cliff and the need to give back to the park in the form of trees from the charitable efforts of the disc golf community.  I'd like to mention the following:
KCMO P&R
Kansas City, Missouri Parks and Recreation provides facilities, programs and recreational opportunities for the community that contributes to an aesthetically pleasing environment and enhanced quality of life. The department operates and maintains close to 12,000 acres of parkland including 219 parks, 132 miles of boulevards and parkways, 47 fountains, 87 ornamental structures, 10 community centers, 27 lakes, 38 miles of trails and bikeways, 105 tennis courts, five golf courses and four museums.

Olathe has 29 (of which they list a softball complex as a park)

Wanna bet that Olathe has more than 10% of the workforce that the KCMO P&R does?  Let's look at the taxation levels in KS, and the average income of the area, these are things that one in an entitled area should come to expect.

It's not wrong to have these feelings of entitlement when one is accustomed to these ways, but those of us "slumming" in the city that helped found your little nest feel obligated to give back to the community in ways that we feel directly benefit not only the earth and environment, but also our local parks.  The sense of pride and ownership by doing the volunteer work to create these feeling of goodwill is something that is shared by some of us with like minded tendencies.

This is in no way to be-little the efforts that Tom has done over the past 2 decades as well, and his conjunction with the P&R in that small area (As Navin R. Johnson said: Ah, anything... in this general area, right in here. Anything, below the stereo, and on this side of the Bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtray, and the thimbles. Anything in this three inches. Right in here, this area, that includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers.)  You have a smaller area to enjoy and be concerned with, and the work that needs to be done is magnified by the smaller presence.  That's ok, we get that you are used to smaller things out there in your country lands!  :P

In all honesty, it really doesn't matter how things get done, the club is a great way to get all of us to work towards the efforts to build our sport, and each community has taken ownership and partnerships with the disc golfers.  That relationship then affords the club and it's members a chance to continue to enjoy the sport and make it available to people that may not otherwise know of it.

I don't really see it as beating a dead horse, I see it as constant awareness that those that love other courses are willing to try to do what the societal elites have!  ;D  We work with mud to build houses, and enjoy living, they fire their own bricks, and build them.  They are both homes, and sure some may look better, but when the earthquake comes, watch the bricks tumble,( http://www.world-housing.net/uploads/WHETutorial_Adobe_English.pdf ) and the house that was built by the community and the natural products stand, and at that time, I am willing to bet that we would still go down and help them build again, since the tax revenues would fall and they'd have no money since they couldn't go to work because the building crumbled.....

So, Lee, I am not mad, nor is Drew, infact I enjoy playing at PC from time to time.  I enjoy the fact that they have a tree farm in the middle of the fairway, and that they can remove diseased trees and replace them without the volunteer efforts of the club, its a good thing.  What also is good, is that we are confident that our course is better, and loved more by the care takers of the park, and that we know the park is in good hands with the love of disc golfers, not just waiting for the paid help to come do things, but our work gets things done when we can as our time allows.

:-* :P ::) ;D :D

(Sarcasm should be notated in countless comments made above!)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »
I'm glad Jack is confident his park is better. It is a sweet piece of land, and I enjoy golfing there as much as anywhere in the metro. It's a real shame KCMO doesn't have the budget to take care of the 12,000 acres he mentioned correctly, with the energy and professionalism that the Joco folks do. It would be awesome if Cliff was in Joco. It would have restrooms, parking lots, and soccer moms, instead of sinkholes, garbage, and dead moms.  :P

Remember, when planting a tree, an old Native American trick is to put a fish in the hole below the root ball.  8) Also, according to the Farmers Almanac it's always best to plant trees in months that end with the letters "er".

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 12:22:44 PM »
...... It would be awesome if Cliff was in Joco. It would have restrooms, parking lots, and soccer moms, instead of sinkholes, garbage, and dead moms.  :P ......

:o ;D :)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"