Author Topic: New DD discs? What's your eval?  (Read 1359 times)

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
New DD discs? What's your eval?
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:55:42 PM »
Tried out the new DD discs today at Peter Pan in Emporia. I really liked the "Judge" putter. A little more beefy than my aviars. Fought through some branches and crashed chains on 6!

All the other discs were a bit more over stable than what I am used to. The fairway driver, I could turn if I really cranked on it and I got similar distance as my secondary drivers.

what are your thoughts?
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: New DD discs? What's your eval?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
I too had good luck with the judge. It really fought through some heavier gusts extremely well.
I was mostly impressed with the fugitive! I was sending frozen ropes out farther than some of my drivers. I'm talking straight as an arrow! Definitely will be getting one for my bag.
The escape was good but was slightly more overstable for my liking.
The trespass riminded me a lot like my Boss. A slight turn with a strong finish that got down the fairway in a hurry.

As I said, I am going to get the fugitive and possibly a Judge. Not so sure about the other two.
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »
I haven't thrown any. But I can tell you right now, I don't like the naming scheme.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »
I'm not really that big a fan of the names either, as I can't remember which one is the long range driver, fairway driver, or midrange.  The names just all jumble together.  For some reason, I can remember the Judge is the putter though.  The rest I have to look back at the website to determine which is which.  If they fly great, then it won't matter what it's called.   

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »
I threw the 4 disc challenge this past weekend, and I have to say that I'm thinking about changing my putter to the Judge.  I liked the Escape pretty well (reminded me of a Sidewinder, to a degree)  The Fugitive was a good, straight as an arrow mid, and if I had an arm (hopefully by the Memorial...giggity...) I would like the Trespass (I think that's what it was).  Super over-stable for me.  Otherwise, there ya' go.
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

sportwood

• Am Poster
  • Chris Portwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »
Complaints about the name is usually a good sign.  It means people aren't finding issues with the functionality....  And that is what really matters!

As a developer my aim is having the client saying "I like it but I don't like the red theme...  and could you change the wording on the main page"
Thanks,
Chris Portwood
Technology Team
PDGA# 55595

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
Complaints about the name is usually a good sign.  It means people aren't finding issues with the functionality....  And that is what really matters!

As a developer my aim is having the client saying "I like it but I don't like the red theme...  and could you change the wording on the main page"

No, that just means you work with picky whiners!  :P
PDGA#52809

sportwood

• Am Poster
  • Chris Portwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »
And that differs from us how?  :P
Thanks,
Chris Portwood
Technology Team
PDGA# 55595

Loomis

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »
I have tried four of the discs; Judge, Fugitive, Trespass and the Escape.

First. The names are... meh, and the art work on the discs makes them hard to determine one disc from the next. Though these are minor problems. Disc could be named 1, 2 and 3 and it wouldn't matter, so the names aren't important. And Innova is the World Heavy Weight Champion of badly named discs and hard to read art work, so this means very little.

The plastic is familiar. It's Latitude stuff. So if you liked it before, you'll like it now. If you didn't like it before, you won't like it now.

The Judge is a big bead putter which closely resembles a Gateway Wizard, Discraft Challenger, or Innova Aviar,  with an oh-so-slight bevel which feels like a Discraft Magnet. It's stable in the firm plastic and less stable in the gummy "classic" plastic. I am concerned how gummy it will become in the summer heat. The firm plastic putter I saw was very stable and I hope they put them into production. The first impression is that the judge is a low profile putter, but when compared to aviars, wizards and challengers, it's actually very similar. It does have some glide to it, but I couldn't overpower it - like a I do my normal putter - without turning it over.

The Escape is an Innova Teebird with some excellent glide and if you don't over torque it, it should stay stable for most people. I think DD will need a Firechicken/Predator disc pretty quick though, this seemed to have a great deal of high speed turn over but it does fade back nicely. The Escape should be their most popular disc and it will compete with the PD Freak, the Discraft Tracker, the Latitude Striker or the Innova Teebird (or TL). The lighter weight ones seemed to be more stable.

The Trepass is the driver. It has the rim width of a Innova Wraith or Discraft Surge and the glide of a Destroyer. It was fast and if thrown on an anny line it flexed out rather nicely. Stability varied but it tends to be slightly over stable in the RED color and less stable in the ORANGE (if that makes any sense). But it did pick up and go. Fans of smaller rimmed drivers will like this, but it will require some pep to make it go for you. I am going to say that this is not a good disc for beginners.

The Fugitive. With the release of the Innova ROC 3 in the newly revamped Innova Champion Plastic, this disc might get overlooked by most. It's a beaded and beveled midrange much like the Roc. And it has some glide and speed to it. It's also a tad overstable, like a beat up Discraft Wasp. So if beaded midranges are your thing, it's worth picking up. If you're a buzz thrower, this isn't going to impress you. It feels like the the Pain or the Warship.

I think I would like to see the Trepass and the Fugitive in a different plastic before I pass any further judgements.

I would say that most of these discs are not beginner friendly with the ones I played with. There needs to be some less stable molds to accentuate the line and to give advance players more options on the course; Or just to offer something for newbies or weaker-armed throwers to try.

If you don't mind, and can afford it, it never hurts to try out new discs. I'm sure there could be some sample discs made available if you want to try them out before you buy them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:19:55 PM by Loomis »

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:11:46 AM »
What kinds of names are discs are supposed to have? I don't think the names sound corny by themselves, but put them together and an obvious theme emerges... maybe that's a bit corny. Are we to expect a "Jailbreak" or a "Lockdown" next? Or a "Contraband"? Oh, I know! A super beefy, overstable, Drone-esque midrange called a "Bubba"! (Sold as a set with a really flippy, understable one called a "Punk b%tch", of course!) ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »
What kinds of names are discs are supposed to have? I don't think the names sound corny by themselves, but put them together and an obvious theme emerges... maybe that's a bit corny. Are we to expect a "Jailbreak" or a "Lockdown" next? Or a "Contraband"? Oh, I know! A super beefy, overstable, Drone-esque midrange called a "Bubba"! (Sold as a set with a really flippy, understable one called a "Punk b%tch", of course!) ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
best new name for a dynamic disc - the DD-seeder, with ridges on the underside and a la-large buh-baggie to keep your duh-disc dry.
espouse elucidation

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »
Look for the next line to include a neutral putter called "The Soap". Be careful not to drop it...  :o
PDGA#52809

sportwood

• Am Poster
  • Chris Portwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 10:50:15 AM »
Look for the next line to include a neutral putter called "The Soap". Be careful not to drop it...  :o

They they would have to release a practice basket called the shower!
Thanks,
Chris Portwood
Technology Team
PDGA# 55595