Author Topic: new courses in S Jackson county?  (Read 3174 times)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
new courses in S Jackson county?
« on: June 30, 2006, 10:23:53 AM »
Does anyone know about plans for a disc golf course in either Lee's Summit or Blue Springs?

I've read on some old posts about a plan for one in lee's summit, the city says there's still plans to have one

i've also heard a disc golf course going in at young park in blue springs

bp

Rader13

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 08:57:25 PM »
halleluia - I'm a resident of Grain Valley and would like to put one in at Monkey Mountain.

I just haven't gotten off my lazy bum yet.

Blue springs would be nice.

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Get off your lazy bum
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 09:17:01 PM »
Do YOU own the land at Monkey Mountain?  Are YOU the mayor of Grain Valley?  Do any of the other residents of Grain Valley perhaps want to see a disc golf course at Monkey Mountain?  Have you been to any of the Grain Valley town meetings to perhaps suggest a disc golf course for Monkey Mountain?  Do you realize there's actually a political process to get things done in a town park?  Yeah, get off your lazy bum, find out the actual possibility of installing a course from the PEOPLE IN CHARGE of the park and then contact the KCFDC executive board, who have beacoup experience at dealing with PEOPLE IN CHARGE, and have us meet with the PEOPLE IN CHARGE so that we can help secure a new disc golf course at Monkey Mountain.  Of course if you're THE MAN IN CHARGE of Monkey Mountain then it will be a piece of cake to put in the course.  Just get off your lazy bum and put the course in.  Later-Bob Hayett

Rader13

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 09:38:23 PM »
p.s. Young park is way - way too small for a disc course.

and - cough- .. sir yes sir..

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 09:03:13 AM »
I'm not sure why Bob thinks you're lazy but he does make some good points. I must say, having hiked around Monkey Mountain years ago that place would make a cool disc golf course. I think too many people use it for hiking and other things though. Disc golf courses tend to work best in parks that are previously under utilized. As Bob said, check with the powers that be and see if anything is in the works. If not, put the bug in their ear and contact the KCFDC.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 12:09:02 PM »
And if the city elects to install a dg course, consult a qualified dg course designer. I agree with Greg Hosfeld's article in the latest Disc Golf World. DG course design should be done by a pro level player with at least ten years tournament experience.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 12:50:46 PM »
I think the article you are referring to was written by Greg Hosfeld, but I agree too.

So how's about someone with more experience than me coming up to help me with the design at Saint Mary in Leavenworth?  :lol:
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 05:17:44 PM »
I'm there, Kevin....next Wednesday?

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 05:23:22 PM »
Give me a time and I'll plan on giving you the tour and discussing potential layouts. Thanks. Anyone else interested in coming out to check it out that day is welcome. Just PM me or discuss it here.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
pro disc golf course designer or not?
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 06:19:35 PM »
A pro disc golf course designer is not applicable in every situation.  For example, Lake Lenexa is not ready for a pro disc golf designer.  The park is going to add features in stages over the next 2-4 years.  Hiring a pro designer right now wouldn't make any sense.  Any course going in to this new park will be inevitably altered/tweaked/changed many times over the next few years.  It will be more ideal to hire a pro designer when the entire park is complete, and the flow of foot traffic in the park is finally determined.  The best use of a pro designer is where you have an entire park completely devoted to disc golf, with little or no conflict anticipated with joggers, dog-walkers, soccer moms, etc.  You want your final layout to be determined by a pro designer.  Otherwise I believe money would be wasted in hiring one.  Now if a pro designer would come out and design a course for free, then bring one in immediately.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 12:45:55 AM »
There is a lot of input that can be helpful when designing a course.  The more you think about, the better you feel with the finished product.  I'm sure many people would give some "input" for free.

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 09:20:53 AM »
Quote from: "Nivek9"

So how's about someone with more experience than me coming up to help me with the design at Saint Mary in Leavenworth?  :lol:

What What What a new coures in Leavenworth you just blowin smoke up my hee hee..

Is it just a dream or are you for-real?
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 09:38:47 AM »
On the campus of the University of Saint Mary. It's a private school so you need to let someone know you plan to come play it. Usually just a PM or e-mail to me will do it. But it's pretty accessible. Only three pins in the ground so far. Four more coming soon and then a fund raiser event is an idea I have to get the other two basket for a full nine hole course.

Much of the course is still in the planning stage before pins go in though.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 11:56:45 AM »
Sounds cool Kevin!  Will it be the next Graceland?

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: pro disc golf course designer or not?
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 12:34:32 PM »
Quote from: "robertalan"
A pro disc golf course designer is not applicable in every situation.  For example, Lake Lenexa is not ready for a pro disc golf designer.  The park is going to add features in stages over the next 2-4 years.  Hiring a pro designer right now wouldn't make any sense.  Any course going in to this new park will be inevitably altered/tweaked/changed many times over the next few years.  It will be more ideal to hire a pro designer when the entire park is complete, and the flow of foot traffic in the park is finally determined.  The best use of a pro designer is where you have an entire park completely devoted to disc golf, with little or no conflict anticipated with joggers, dog-walkers, soccer moms, etc.  You want your final layout to be determined by a pro designer.  Otherwise I believe money would be wasted in hiring one.  Now if a pro designer would come out and design a course for free, then bring one in immediately.
\

What I am talking about isn't hiring a "professional course designer". I'm saying a course should be designed by a pro level disc golf player with a lot of tournament experience. This is what Hosfeld was writing about, and I tend to agree that someone that has played in a lot of tournaments at a variety of courses will most probably be able to provide a better design than a lower rated player that has not played many different courses.