Author Topic: new courses in S Jackson county?  (Read 3286 times)

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
new courses in S Jackson county?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 02:08:59 PM »
I would agree for the most part.  But there are 975+ rated players out there that have no clue about course design and many lower rated players that have much insight.

Ted's Dread was one of the most challenging designs anywhere and it was designed by 2 amateur players, with one being new to disc golf.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 02:16:25 PM »
Wood-Z was far from an amateur player. He celebrated 30 years in disc golf at the last Redbud Open. He most recently played pro masters and his last rating with the PDGA was 939 as a pro. He's played extensively on many, many courses. Ted, on the other hand, had not played disc golf when he met Wood-Z.

Wood-Z had plenty of experience to draw from as a course designer and it showed.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 04:15:26 PM »
Very true Kevin, Wood'z was an experienced player.

I'm not trying to say that course design from high rated players isn't a good thing.  I'm just saying that they are not the only ones who can give some key advice when puting in a course.  I'm not picking on Kevin, but though he isn't 975+ rated, you got to admire how he runs Wyco and I'm sure I would listen to him on a new course design.  

In my opinion, all input can be constructive, even that which you totally disagree with.  It helps with new ideas and to solidify the ones you already are leaning towards.

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
course design and designers
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 10:46:09 PM »
There's so many factors in putting in a new course that it's difficult to say the "best" way to design it.  Is there enough land and is the topography varied enough to put in a championship course?  Will there be other uses in the proposed area that disc golf needs to stear clear of?  How much money is available to put the course in?  I believe every situation is different.  Does the head of the proposed park want a bunch of different designs submitted?  Do they even want very many people wandering around in a park under construction?  I'm all for getting as many experienced people out and look around and give their opinions.  Having players of varied experience levels might be a great way to design a course.  If Ken Climo exclusively designed a course, I doubt too many people other than him could birdie any of the holes.  Course design should be a group effort, then maybe once a preliminary plan is in place, then have a pro designer come out and tweak the final layout.  By the way, if anybody wants to come out and walk around Lake Lenexa, give me a call.  Later-Bob Hayett

going-long

lees summit
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 09:36:32 AM »
where could a course go in at lees summit.....might be moving there soon and would do anything to get a course there...........any thoughts...???????

narin clouse

flipandflap

Re: pro disc golf course designer or not?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 01:28:45 PM »
Quote from: "Tom"

What I am talking about isn't hiring a "professional course designer". I'm saying a course should be designed by a pro level disc golf player with a lot of tournament experience. This is what Hosfeld was writing about, and I tend to agree that someone that has played in a lot of tournaments at a variety of courses will most probably be able to provide a better design than a lower rated player that has not played many different courses.

why do you think it can only be a pro that designs a good course?  That's the stupist thing ive ever heard.  I read Hosfelds article, it really pissed me and some buds off.  Anyone who know the game, has a little bit of brains, and has a little bit of creativity can design a great f'n course, given good land and enough help to clear and all.  Those who can do, those who can't, teach or design.

stupidist thing ive heard in a long time...

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Re: pro disc golf course designer or not?
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 01:56:09 PM »
Quote from: "flipandflap"
Anyone who know the game, has a little bit of brains, and has a little bit of creativity can design a great f'n course, given good land and enough help to clear and all.  Those who can do, those who can't, teach or design.

stupidist thing ive heard in a long time...

Speaking of hearing stupid things.....how often does a disc golf club or anyone for that matter, just get "given good land and enough help to clear and all."?

NEVER!

That is the exact reason it takes a person that has enough experieince to be a "pro level" player to design a course that works with the flow of a park and the other activities in it.  Not only that, it's people like you that just throw courses in a park then wonder why the course rating is so low and nobody plays it.

"Those who can do, and those with a computer can b*tch about it."
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 03:57:59 PM »
Flip, your entitled to your opinion, however bizarre.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 06:06:46 PM »
Seems like Flip was pushing the opposite opinion.  

This doesn't seem like a difficult debate to me.  Experience is a very important factor in the skill of a course designer.  It is not the only important factor though.  Player rating by itself does not make up for much to do with the skill of a designer.

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
depends on the course who is "best" qualified to d
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 11:07:21 PM »
No two parks are the same when it comes to desiging a course.  Some proposed courses are very hard to design (Lake Lenexa) and some are easy.  If you have a very complicated master plan for a new park and want to put in a disc golf course, then eventually it will pay off to bring in a pro disc golf course designer.  If you have an area of land that is 100% devoted to disc golf, it may be much easier to design.  It still is definitely an advantage to have very experienced disc golfers come out and look around to give their opinions, no matter what the situation is.  A single person, no matter how creative they are, is not going to see the best course.  If your goal is to design a championship course and you have the resources to do it, then hire a pro.  If you're designing an average course with minimal resources, then hiring a pro doesn't make sense.  I didn't exactly agree with Hosfeld's article, but I'm sure there are many course out there that should have been designed by a pro, and it's probably frustrating to him to play a course that could have been better if it had been designed by a pro.  Later-Bob Hayett